Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2020, 10:30 AM   #201

Dan-
Great to continue seeing your Finding Fun pics. You always find great camp spots. We just returned from four days in Anza Borrego at the top of Yaqui Pass Road.
Jamie

2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
jbfunfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:41 PM   #202

Jamie, that's a fun coincidence -- we are hoping to be somewhere in Anza Borrego for the meteor shower on Dec 13!

Old 12-27-2020, 05:02 PM   #203

Anza Borrego was closed due to Covid, but the BLM still permitted boondocking in the Mojave Desert. This was taken at Kelso Dunes in mid-December:

Click For Full-Size Image.
Old 12-28-2020, 06:25 AM   #204

Nice spot indeed, love the solar, curious tho "BLM still permitted," what did BLM have to do with anything?
wishuwerehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:48 AM   #205

We were boondocking on Bureau of Land Management property -- their website specifically said that although the campgrounds were closed due to the state wide shutdown, dispersed camping on BLM land was still permitted because of the "distanced" nature of boondocking.
Old 01-01-2021, 11:14 PM   #206

Great Photos and so good to see people out in December having fun. We're pretty much snowbound now in Minnesota until Spring but managed to get a couple of late year trips in. The pics I put in my gallery tonight are from our trip to Forestville State Park in Southern Minnesota in September. I recommend it. The MN state parks have been our sole go-to for RVing and I'm getting the urge lately to expand those boundaries and try out a winter run down south to Texas one of these days. Anybody ever hooked up in the winter and took off?
Russ
2010 Funfinder X189FBR
2011 Chevy Avalanche
poolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:23 PM   #207

Default Forestville Minnesota

Forestville Minnesota September 2020
Attached Thumbnails
campforestv1.jpg  
poolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:06 AM   #208

This shot was taken in early April, 2021 – we were camped on BLM land, just east of Capitol Reef National Park. The dark peaks in the left background are part of the Waterpocket Fold, which forms the spine of Capitol Reef:

And this is a shot of the same campsite in full daylight, looking north:

Old 05-11-2021, 11:39 AM   #209

I have to ask ... is there something special about camping without trees amongst the rocks, boulders, sand, cactus, etc. in the desert areas?
Just curious as the multiple times I've traveled thru places like Arizona,etc. ...I really don't see camping there.
Just askin' for myself ... not a friend. LOL
Old 05-11-2021, 01:09 PM   #210

That's a great question! My wife keeps asking me the same thing -- she prefers trees. So we alternate -- sometimes I get my wide open desert, and sometimes she gets her redwood forest.

To me, the "something special" about camping in a wide open place is the wide and the open. As someone who has lived for seven decades in crowded urban and suburban locations, a "big sky" is a big deal. That's especially true if it is silent and isolated -- in town, we are inundated with ambient noise.

And of course I have to mention the stars -- I live in one of the most light-polluted places on earth (Southern Calif), where we can barely see the Big Dipper on a clear night.

By contrast, this is what the sky looked like in Utah last month:

Eagle, my guess is that you can see stars like that from your home in SD. For us, it takes hours of driving to get to really dark skies, a few times a year.

Later this month, we are off to the redwoods so that DW can satisfy her tree craving. And it is not just about trees -- it's about moisture on the cool lush Northern Calif coast, so different from parched So Cal. We got about four inches of rain during this "rainy" season, and now comes the hot dry summer, and the wildfires and the smoke.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:55 PM   #211

We also like green trees/shade/rivers as well as the desert. Admittedly, my parents raised me as what many of us in the Southwest call a "desert rat" camping in the sand and sage enjoying the wide open spaces and also better glimpses of the starry sky. We especially love the red rock areas of Utah, Arizona and Nevada. If I had been raised in a greener place with four seasons that show themselves strongly, I might also not have grown to love the desert.
Attached Thumbnails
P1030518.jpg   20210124_163736.jpg   20210403_082631.jpg  
2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
jbfunfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:36 AM   #212

Profdant139: Thanks for the response. Growing up and living decades on a farm in SD - seeing the stars at night and hearing the quiet of no sounds at night is as common as coffee in the AM, the mooing of a cow, the clucking of chickens or the howl of a coyote in the darkness. Or, on a near still night with a little breeze from the right direction - the barking of the neighbors dog over about 1.5 miles away.

Not so many trees here and nothing like the Redwoods of N. Calif. but there are some near lakes, etc. and lots of green grass. The Black Hills of SD and/or the northern areas of Minnesota are great places for camping.

Understand about the urban noise as lived in some cities as Oklahoma City, Decatur, ILL, Saginaw MI, Indianapolis IN, Tacoma WA and traveled thru others from the east to west coast. Visited D.C. once and couldn't wait to get out of there...same with Florida.
Old 05-21-2021, 02:36 PM   #213

Moccasin creek state park, North Ga. Mtns, our 2nd trip
2008, X160
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02230.JPG   DSC02249.JPG   DSC02237.JPG  
wishuwerehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 10:23 AM   #214

Default Frida goes to CO!

Took Frida to Colorado for a women's motorcycle meetup. Had a blast and learned a few lessons:
1) When strapping down motorcycle, add a few extra pulls on the ratchet strap to ensure he isn't going to bounce and flip. (Repair Job 1: Gouge in kitchen counter from handle bar)
2) Politely decline offers to help with set-up. (Repair Job 2: Replace broken awning clip)
3) Avoid small highways when possible or google road conditions. (Repair Job 3: Replace right rear tire and replaced rusted parts on spare tire holder)
4) While camping with drunk women, hang a clearly visible sign on toy hauler screen. (Repair Job 4: Replace broken screen and possibly entire unit.)
Everything is fixable or replaceable except for friends you've had for 30+ years. We made repairs and laughed everything off so luckily there is no repair trouble ticket number to fix our friendships.
Had a great time and we are now looking to do a route 66 tour.
Attached Thumbnails
Frida CO.jpg  
Frida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 05:26 PM   #215

Frida, that's a beautiful campground! Very spacious. Is that in Colorado?
Old 06-27-2021, 11:37 AM   #216

That was actually my friends yard on the day we departed Michigan. The Colorado campground was Echo Basin Resort and RV park. It was absolutely beautiful and had all the amenities including a bar/restaurant. They also had laundry facilities. Highly recommend!

Frida is offline   Reply With Quote