Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2012, 07:59 AM   #1

Default Purchase dabate on FF XT276

Considering purchase of a new XT276 Toy Hauler to be pulled with an 04 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4, 5.7 hemi, AT w/tow package ... tow rating at 7,600 lbs.
Will have to add tow mirrors but do I need an equalizer hitch? I've read alot about them and understand their purpose. Any opinions on the XT276 from owners? Likes, dislikes, etc.
Have never owned any type of RV before so any input would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
Site Team

Yes, you will definetely need a weight distribution hitch, and probably one with sway control. Lot's of brands out there to choose from.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:52 AM   #3

You are right about there being so many brands and selections available for a WD hitch.

I'm thinking a 1,000 lb one would work but have no idea what brand with so many choices.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:27 AM   #4
Site Team

I think most of the brands will do an adequate job. The brochure lists the tongue weight of the X276 at 870 lbs so you will need one with at least 1000 lb capacity. You will probably want sway control as well. Check out www.etrailer.com they carry several different manufacturers so you can do some comparison shopping and they have some guidance that helpful in making a choice.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #5

Thanks for the advise and source.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:24 PM   #6

I think you will really enjoy the 276. We have the 275, which is basically the same unit with modifications to the floor plan. I pull it with a 08 Tundra 4x4 and it tows like a dream. Towed once without weight distribution hitch and sway control and will not do that again. If price is not the main issue for selecting a trailer, check out the new Rubicon 2900 by Dutchman. We just saw it at the FL RV supershow and fell in love with it. I hate to pick something over fun finder but this unit was very similar but more plush and the best floorplan I've seen for a toy hauler yet. Downside is I don't think it's worth the $45K MSRP. Good luck on your seach and purchase
Old 01-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuc71
I think you will really enjoy the 276. We have the 275, which is basically the same unit with modifications to the floor plan. I pull it with a 08 Tundra 4x4 and it tows like a dream. Towed once without weight distribution hitch and sway control and will not do that again. If price is not the main issue for selecting a trailer, check out the new Rubicon 2900 by Dutchman. We just saw it at the FL RV supershow and fell in love with it. I hate to pick something over fun finder but this unit was very similar but more plush and the best floorplan I've seen for a toy hauler yet. Downside is I don't think it's worth the $45K MSRP. Good luck on your seach and purchase
Hi,
Great to lean you enjoy your 275 and no problems. I like that.

I just looked up the Rubicon 2900 on the net. I won't spend $45K on a toy hauler although it is very nice.

For my part time use, the price of the FF 276 is pushing it from a strictly financial investment position. If I were a full timer, it would be different.

Additionally the dry weight of 8,958 is to heavy for my tow unit so not in the running - at least for me but thank you for offering another option to see.

Best
Old 01-22-2012, 05:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuc71
Hi,
Great to lean you enjoy your 275 and no problems. I like that.

I just looked up the Rubicon 2900 on the net. I won't spend $45K on a toy hauler although it is very nice.

For my part time use, the price of the FF 276 is pushing it from a strictly financial investment position. If I were a full timer, it would be different.

Additionally the dry weight of 8,958 is to heavy for my tow unit so not in the running - at least for me but thank you for offering another option to see.

Best
I agree with not spending the $45K. That's why it's not in my drive but it sure is nice. We have been contempating trading up to the 276 since the dinette vs. the couch is great but not sure if it's worth the money to trade. I have done a lot of little mods I would loose out on. Most likely the 275 will die with me...lol
Old 01-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #9

Yup, know how that goes too. There was another brand the wife really liked - more money of course - but to heavy for a 1/2 ton & wasn't ready to spend $40,000 to slip up to a 3/4 ton. Just have to live with what one can afford....and be happy.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #10

Default Update on your 276?

Hi.

I'm also looking at purchasing the ff xtra 276, the toy hauler I think.

Did you buy it yet? How was it? How's the towing? I have a gmc 2005 Sierra Denali and the tow rating is 8100/13000.

Where did you buy it? Where do you think you found the best price?

Thanks!
Porkchop1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #11

It was a decision between the FF XT276 and the near identical Forest River 27hfs but went with the FF XT276.

The dealer, Apache Camper Center near Omaha Nebraska did not have one in stock so it's a factory order and won't be in for several weeks. That is OK 'cause I'm in no big hurry.

Purchased at Apache CC due to closer proximity. I thought their final price with the options I wanted was very competitive. The few $$ that MAY have been saved buying further away would have been more than lost in travel expense to pick it up personally or have it delivered. Also, should any warranty or repair issues arise, a closer dealership would be advantagous.

I liked how they answered all my questions, explained how they check all systems, etc. out once the unit arrives from the factory so there are no suprises later. The rep. Nancy Sothan was very courtous helpful in all aspects. I felt comfortable doing the transaction over the net and by phone.

Once it arrives at the dealer, it's dealer preped and I bring it home, will post more.

Best in your decision. I feel good about mine.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #12

congrats on purchasing the 276. Once you get it and try it out, let me know how you like it. I still think of upgrading to the 276 but just can't get the nerve to empty the checkbook to do it. What options did they give you?
Old 02-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #13

Starbuc
I went with the Xtreme package (really a requirement), the Xtra upgrade package, the create-a-breeze fantastic fan, the convection microwave and the 15" tires. The fan can be temperature controlled and should reduce A/C use plus elminate odors in the unit from a possible gas spill or burned food ~ neither intentional of course.
I felt the tire upgrade would add a safety factor because of the larger size and more load capacity.

I had no use for the tri-fold sofa powerbed or bunk bed option. As for the removable carpet wasn't sure but figured could always do something about that later, if wanted. For my use, the garage area will only be used for the motorcycle since 99.999% of the time there will only be the wife and myself.

As for the ultra-lite stabilizing system it's just little electric motors on each of the stabilizing jacks so just looked like something else to break/replace; also they are not an automatic leveling system.

To get the XT276, you could always advertise and try to sell yours outright instead of taking a big hit doing a dealer trade in deal.

Will post more once I get the unit.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle
Starbuc
I went with the Xtreme package (really a requirement), the Xtra upgrade package, the create-a-breeze fantastic fan, the convection microwave and the 15" tires. The fan can be temperature controlled and should reduce A/C use plus elminate odors in the unit from a possible gas spill or burned food ~ neither intentional of course.
I felt the tire upgrade would add a safety factor because of the larger size and more load capacity.

I had no use for the tri-fold sofa powerbed or bunk bed option. As for the removable carpet wasn't sure but figured could always do something about that later, if wanted. For my use, the garage area will only be used for the motorcycle since 99.999% of the time there will only be the wife and myself.

As for the ultra-lite stabilizing system it's just little electric motors on each of the stabilizing jacks so just looked like something else to break/replace; also they are not an automatic leveling system.

To get the XT276, you could always advertise and try to sell yours outright instead of taking a big hit doing a dealer trade in deal.

Will post more once I get the unit.
I guess I got lucky to get what I got since at the time the 275 just came out and I had to drive from Tampa to Northern VA to find this one. Mine had some sort of package, I belive the extreme package also. I got the large tire, tri-fold sofa bed in rear (which I never use and wish it was the flat board so I could put a matress there) no covection micro and no electric jacks. I do have an electric fan but I dont think it's a fantastic.
Since we have has it, I added a porcelin toilet, shelves in the wardrobe, flip jack jack pad, a toy lok cable lock system and mounted a diamond plate bok on the generator tray behind the propane.
I could sell outright, but not worth the time and hassel. Most people who buy RV's finance them and have no cash. Good luck with the unit
Old 02-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #15

You say you can pull 7,600 lbs. I suspect that's not the case with a 1/2 ton p/u. Dealerships provide the hitch rating instead of the vehicle rating. For example, they claimed I could tow 7000-7500 pounds with my 05 Tundra, but the GCWR is 11,600. The truck itself weighs 5000 pounds, and that's before gas and a driver are added. Realistically, the maximum tow ability for my truck is 5600 pounds, which is approx. 25% less than the dealership claimed I could tow. Based on my limations, I wouldn't tow a trailer weighing much more than 4000 pounds. My trailer weighs 3800-3900.

As for the load equalizer and sway bar, you're going to need them. You'll notice a difference, especially in the wind and around curves.
ZZSPIRAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZSPIRAL
You say you can pull 7,600 lbs. I suspect that's not the case with a 1/2 ton p/u. The dealerships base that on what your hitch can handle, not what the vehicle can handle. For example, they claimed I could tow 7000-7500 pounds with my 05 Tundra, but the GVWR is 11,600. The truck itself weighs 5000 pounds, and that's before you add gas and get in the truck. Realistically, the most I should be towing is 5600 pounds, and that would be pushing it's limits. Based on my limations, I wouldn't tow a trailer weighing much more than 4000 pounds. My trailer weighs 3800-3900.

As for the load equalizer and sway bar, you're going to need them. You'll notice a difference, especially in winds and around curves.
I think you are confusing GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) with GCWR (gross combined weight rating). GVWR is the maximum loaded capacity of the vehicle meaning the most that the vehicle itself should weigh with passengers, fuel, gear and the tongue weight of the trailer. GCWR is the most that both the tow vehicle and trailer combined should weigh. I would guess that the 11,600 lbs for your Tundra is the GCWR.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #17

You're correct LJAZ, I was referring to GCWR.

I'm surprised dealerships are allowed to mislead the public on something as important as weight restrictions. I'm also surprised they haven't been sued. I believe they all do this. I fully expected my truck to tow what they claimed it could. It worked out alright, because that's how I discovered Fun Finer trailers. My X-240 was great. The jury is still pondering my 210UDS.
ZZSPIRAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #18
Site Team

You hit the nail on the head ZZ. In my experience most of the salesmen at the dealerships really don't understand the all of the ratings. They just look at the GCWR and see a big number and assume it means whatever the they think the customer wants it to mean. Besides, any of the ratings taken alone don't tell the whole story. You can be within the GCWR and still exceed the GAWR with the wrong setup.

I think they don't get sued because the manufacturer's do publish the data so it's readily available to the buyer with lot's of caveats that it's the owners responsibility to know what he's towing. And 2 I think a lot people get away with overloading their TV because they're lucky enough to not get into an emergency situation and don't notice the premature wear & tear. Like you, I prefer to stay well within the ratings.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #19

I picked up my 276 about two weeks ago.

The folks at Apache Camper Center were great, went thru the toy hauler and explained all the stuff one needs to know. I am glad I got the fantaztic fan option and the 15" tire option. I didn't know it came with a toy lock but it was there!

They set-up the Equalizer hitch w/1,000# bars, got hooked up and about 400 miles on the road home. The Ram hemi pulled the 276 with ease (at a cost of about 5 mpg) and the Equalizer hitch is the perfect match. No sway even when hitting a rain storm and a side wind.

The unit towed perfectly and hardly knew it was behind me.

Spent time in the driveway getting familiar with everything and looking forward to my first outing.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #20

I purchased my XT-276 in Oct. 2010. My tow vehicle is a 2008 Toyota Tundra crew max. I was using a weight distribution hitch, which I kept after trading in my old trailer. I never liked the way that hitch towed this trailer, so after researching weight distribution hitch's and reading post's on this forum, today I installed an equal-i-zer hitch. I wish I had done this earlier because the difference in the ride is remarkable. You made the wright choice in getting the equal-i-zer, you will not regret it. Enjoy your new trailer.

greg 60 is offline   Reply With Quote