Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2011, 11:54 AM   #1

Default Shadow Cruiser or Passport

Hi everyone,

First off I realize this is a FunFinder forum. I fell in love with the FunFinder X but really need a bunk house. I've been lurking around for a while and appreciate all the great information on this forum. I'm ready to buy our first TT and stuck deciding between the Shadow Cruiser 260BHS and a Passport 2590 BS limited edition.

The Passport is $2500 more but loaded electric everything and heated under belly. Passport is 4800 lbs and Cruiser is 4400 lbs.

TV is a Titan PU with factory tow package rated at 9400 lbs.

Please help with any thoughts on these two trailers.

Thanks, Mike

membler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:07 PM   #2

Don't know how much "help" you'll get here on a CruiserRV forum...

We all love our FunFinders...well, I do anyway

As for the "electric everything"; the only things not electric on my FunFinder, when we bought it, was the awning, stabilizers and tongue jack. I'm not big on the electric awnings, to be honest, 90% of the time we don't use the manual awning. We are "sightseers" and wouldn't leave the CG with the awning out in case of storms and by the time we get back it is early evening and the sun is low enough in the sky that, as the air cools off, we appreciate the warmth and are not looking for shade. The few times that we do use it, the manual setup is so simple and straight forward that the DW and I can have it deployed in almost the same amount of time as an electric and I don't have the electronics that can go bad. The stabilizers are manual, but, we use plastic leveler blocks under them so that they don't exceed 50% extension (they loose effectiveness after being extended more than 50%), so, it is only a few cranks with the wrench for them to be down and snug...DW takes care of that while I'm hooking up the utilities. The tongue jack...I replaced it with a power unit for far less than $2500, I paid around $179 for the power jack.

The heated underbelly? We are fair weather campers...don't like the cold and snow, never have. When it is time for those kinds of temperatures, you'll find us heading south or back home at our sticks and bricks sitting in front of the toasty woodstove . We have done and continue to do "cool weather" camping, however, a short dip below freezing won't hurt the utilities and if it is going to be below freezing during the day, we're out of there!

So, to answer your question... We love our FunFinder and would, if we were you, purchase the Cruiser and use the $2500 to finance our next two months of traveling

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:40 PM   #3

thanks for the reply Don.

The gap is now down to $1500 and makes my decision even harder. Only issue I have now is the Passport is a little more up scale with cabinets and such. Cruiser is still nice tho.

Passport is not only 600 lbs heavier but the tongue weight is 600 lbs, only 400 on the Cruiser.

Cruiser has wood floor beams, Passport is aluminum. Taking my wife to look at both this afternoon. Wish me luck...

Mike
Old 02-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #4

thanks for the reply Don.

The gap is now down to $1500 and makes my decision even harder. Only issue I have now is the Passport is a little more up scale with cabinets and such. Cruiser is still nice tho.

Passport is not only 600 lbs heavier but the tongue weight is 600 lbs, only 400 on the Cruiser.

Cruiser has wood floor beams, Passport is aluminum. Taking my wife to look at both this afternoon. Wish me luck...

Mike
Old 02-26-2011, 06:30 PM   #5

Well I hope I'm still welcome here cause we just bought the Shadow Cruiser. My wife just liked it better. On paper the Passport seemed like a better value but the women has spoken. And I'm happy to be towing a lighter TT.

The FunFinder is what got us interested in TT so this is kind of fitting we ended up buying a Cruiser RV product.

Mike and Kathy