Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2019, 09:07 PM   #1

Default Spare tire

Please help. We have a Fun Finder 18 FBR.
My spare tire frame bolts pulled through my rear wall.
There must have been a crack in the plastic as the plywood behind it was totally rotten. I can now see into my bathroom. Does anyone have suggestions on how to fix this. Anything would be appreciated..Thanks

Raca613@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:11 AM   #2

Yikes! There are three problems here -- two are fairly easy to solve. One is not.

Let's start with the worst news. It sounds like you have a leak that caused the wall to rot. Chances are good that it was around the vent for the black tank, based on where it occurred. You have to find that leak and patch it. Eternabond and Dicor will be your best friends.

Now that the leak is fixed, patch the back wall. A surfboard repair shop can help you with replacing the fiberglass. It will never look like new, but that's ok. (If there is no surfboard shop near you, I bet there is a boat repair facility.) Make a plywood sandwich: fiberglass outside, plywood in the middle, fiberglass inside. Strong.

Finally, remount the spare tire. Use wide steel plates inside the wall to support the weight. Here is a description of how I approached the same job:

The LMIC (Look Mom I'm Camping): Gas can mount on top of spare tire

Good luck, and ask lots of questions! This is a big hassle, but it is not the end of the world.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:50 PM   #3

Had the same issue with mine. The through bolt holes leaked. I caught it in time. the only issue was the fat nuts pulled through. I just used a piece of plywood on the inside and longer bolts.

http://www.funfinderclub.com/forums/...9fbs-3892.html
team dougherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:11 PM   #4

team D, that paradoxically gives me hope! If the leak is from the bolts and not the roof vent, this will be a much smaller problem for Raca than I had indicated above.

So Raca, see if you can tell whether the rot extends above the area of the bolt holes. If it does not, go to Step 2 of my three step fix. Rebuild that wall! (No politics -- just trailer repair.)
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:10 PM   #5

My bolt holes leaked too. Same issues. Removed tire bracket. outdoor silicone applied to the back of a 12x12 aluminum diamond plate and applied to the external wall center covering the holes. I painted a piece of luan and siliconed it to the interior wall. I put the spare in my truck bed and sometimes under the bench seat....good luck.
Gmb242 is offline   Reply With Quote