Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2015, 07:02 AM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travels with Yoly
My main concern is that we literally won't be back until October
Oh that would be a pretty long time to put up with it. Hope you can find someone that can fit you in before you go.

Have you heard back from FEDEX yet?

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:08 AM   #22

Fed-Ex never called at all. I called them this morning and talked to a rep. He created a "Customer Complaint Number" which is what the driver told me would happen that day. THe driver said that Fed-Ex would call me with that reference number that afternoon. In any case, the rep this morning gave me the number and then told me that if no one from Fed-Ex calls me back, I should just keep calling them !

As Yakov Smirnoff once said .... "wadda country"

Old 04-13-2015, 11:02 AM   #23

That looks very fixable. I used to repair damage to fiberglass booms on bucket trucks at my job and it's pretty simple. Especially with that not being structural. Like anyone else said any body shop should be able to fix it. Just check yelp and a could other sites for reviews. You don't want to get screwed getting it repaired also. Also Try to not let it get too wet until you get it repaired. Fiberglass will hold water and eventually ruin it. It needs a protective coating over it.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:58 PM   #24

I've had it sealed very well with a piece of packing tape

Old 04-14-2015, 07:53 PM   #25

Ok good. Don't want to see a pretty minor issue turn into a giant problem.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:35 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travels with Yoly
My main concern is that we literally won't be back until October
Oh that would be a pretty long time to put up with it. Hope you can find someone that can fit you in before you go.

Have you heard back from FEDEX yet?
After many calls and many broken promises from them to call me back I finally have a claim number, the name of the adjuster and a fax number to send repair estimates to. I talked to a local body shop who balked because he wouldn't be able to get it through his shop door and wasn't keen on painting it outside. He said that the entire front would need to be repainted which would then require a new FF decal across it as well. That being the case, I figured I'd just get a check from Fed-Ex and then have my selling FF dealer do the repair when we get back. Originally, he said they were three months out with a back-log of body work so I'll set it up in advance . The problem now is that for them to even give me an estimate I'd have to leave it for a day or so. It's a 100 mile round trip so not happy about this. Frankly, we're so disgusted with the industry as a whole (quality, craftsmanship and service) that we might just bail on the lifestyle completely by the end of the year. I don't know of anywhere people spend as much money as they do for so little in return. It's just frustrating and I ask myself if it's all worth it or not

Old 04-15-2015, 06:09 AM   #27

Sorry to hear of your issues.

You wrote: "I don't know of anywhere people spend as much money as they do for so little in return."

Uhhmmm ~ how about the medical industry?

And NEVER forget the government!!!

Old 04-15-2015, 07:38 AM   #28

DON'T GIVE UP, Neil! A bump in the road - very discouraging - but it'll be fixed and then someday, you guys will laugh about it while sitting around a beautiful campfire, sipping some Bailey's, munching on toasted marshmallows dipped in Baileys...

Remember all the exciting adventures that are calling your name...
Old 04-15-2015, 08:29 AM   #29

hmmm... central theme to michelle's post seems to be Bailey's.

Well, I guess I'll get some Bailey's and think it over.

Now then, Bailey's in the coffee, or...?

WSKinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:39 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSKinVA
hmmm... central theme to michelle's post seems to be Bailey's.

Well, I guess I'll get some Bailey's and think it over.

Now then, Bailey's in the coffee, or...?

Bailey's in the coffee is the MORNING beverage.

Seriously, though - try dunking a toasted marshmallow in Bailey's. OMGosh - it's amazing, and I DO NOT LIKE sweets! I prefer the coconut marshmallows.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:01 AM   #31
Site Team

If you think trailers are frustrating try a boat. You know the hole in the water you throw your money into.

One thing they never tell first time boat buyers is water is bad for your boat.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:08 PM   #32

I've owned 4 boats spanning 30 years ... I know of which you speak
I never had to take one to a dealer, even once They all had Honda engines Every one of them was completely rigged from scratch by me so everything always worked correctly

Old 04-16-2015, 10:15 AM   #33

Even though I also performed all of the work on the 3 boats I had, it seems no one ever tells you that "boat" is simply an acronym for Bust Out Another Thousand! Still, we enjoyed ours tremendously when we had them but I haven't owned one in about 10 years now.
2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 4x4 5.3L w/towing package
dhyravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:33 AM   #34

There are a lot of similarities between the two industries. They both cost a great deal yet none of that cost is reflected in the quality of workmanship. They are both often built by a transient work-force whose main objective is to "get it out the door". I was in the marine industry for many years and toured many boat manufacturing facilities so I've seen some things. They are both industries of highly discretionary expenditures and both are the leading indicators of a recession when sales start to fall off. One third of all the marine dealers in the country folded when the market crashed in 2008. Something similar probably happened in the RV business as well

I've spent countless hours, days and months on the water and I was very passionate about it when I was involved. Yoly and I were the first two people to travel the Captain John Smith National Water Trail when it opened in 2007. We explored 7 rivers from the headwaters to the bay including the Nanticote on the Eastern Shore. I was involved in a Popular Mechanics Magazine project in 2000 when they recreated the Lewis & Clark expedition. I got to travel by boat from St. Charles on the Missouri River to ND, then I skipped the overland portion and rejoined the expedition traveling by boat from Lewiston, ID along the Snake River to the Columbia and then from there to Astoria on the Pacific coast.

Boating seems to have meant more to me than RVing ever has. We sold our Zodiac YL480DX last October and I doubt I'll ever own another boat again