Old 04-15-2015, 11:01 AM   #31
Site Team

If you think trailers are frustrating try a boat. You know the hole in the water you throw your money into.

One thing they never tell first time boat buyers is water is bad for your boat.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:08 PM   #32

I've owned 4 boats spanning 30 years ... I know of which you speak
I never had to take one to a dealer, even once They all had Honda engines Every one of them was completely rigged from scratch by me so everything always worked correctly

Old 04-16-2015, 11:15 AM   #33

Even though I also performed all of the work on the 3 boats I had, it seems no one ever tells you that "boat" is simply an acronym for Bust Out Another Thousand! Still, we enjoyed ours tremendously when we had them but I haven't owned one in about 10 years now.
2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 4x4 5.3L w/towing package
dhyravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:33 AM   #34

There are a lot of similarities between the two industries. They both cost a great deal yet none of that cost is reflected in the quality of workmanship. They are both often built by a transient work-force whose main objective is to "get it out the door". I was in the marine industry for many years and toured many boat manufacturing facilities so I've seen some things. They are both industries of highly discretionary expenditures and both are the leading indicators of a recession when sales start to fall off. One third of all the marine dealers in the country folded when the market crashed in 2008. Something similar probably happened in the RV business as well

I've spent countless hours, days and months on the water and I was very passionate about it when I was involved. Yoly and I were the first two people to travel the Captain John Smith National Water Trail when it opened in 2007. We explored 7 rivers from the headwaters to the bay including the Nanticote on the Eastern Shore. I was involved in a Popular Mechanics Magazine project in 2000 when they recreated the Lewis & Clark expedition. I got to travel by boat from St. Charles on the Missouri River to ND, then I skipped the overland portion and rejoined the expedition traveling by boat from Lewiston, ID along the Snake River to the Columbia and then from there to Astoria on the Pacific coast.

Boating seems to have meant more to me than RVing ever has. We sold our Zodiac YL480DX last October and I doubt I'll ever own another boat again