Old 04-17-2018, 11:16 PM   #1

Default this week's trip

we loaded a kayak on top of the van, hitched up the T139 and went to Deming, NM, then to City of Rocks North of Deming for the night. going from Las Cruces to Deming is uphill climbing out of the Mesilla Valley, then pretty flat highway driving. we were averaging 16 mpg on that leg, but it included some non towing miles, so didn't pay much attention. we filled up in Deming, and I reset the milage calculator (which is very accurate). the road from Deming to City of Rocks is pretty flat, I drove 60 on that road. we spent the night at City of Rocks state park, then on into the Mimbres Valley to Lake Roberts. a rolling, gradual gain in elevation. averaged 45-50 on that road. We had a wonderful day kayaking and relaxing. this afternoon, we headed home and the winds were terrible. gusts 40-50 mph. we had side winds about 1/3 of the time, head winds about 1/3 and tailwinds about 1/3. the thing is, we got 18 mpg on the way home. I stayed below 60, visibility was an issue, the whole interstate had slowed down. but also, we had that kayak on top. Could it have been a benefit instead of a determent? I see that the kayak on it's J hook rack comes about as high as the top of the trailer. maybe we should mount the other kayak up there too and make a V shaped air dam...
either way, slow mph or kayak, I'm really happy with the t139. I love that everything works, that we are comfortable and I'm not scared to tow a trailer anymore.

Hilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:36 PM   #2

Amazing mileage! I have never gotten anything close to that, towing a very similar trailer with either my Pathfinder or my Tacoma -- usually 10 or 11 mpg. Well done! And very happy to hear you had such a good time.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:13 AM   #3

I've been trying to post a picture or two. not having much luck. Of course my van might have issues later on, but so far so good. we had the tranny serviced last week, they said it all looked ok. (fluid, etc)
Old 04-18-2018, 08:56 AM   #4

I think it's the slow speed. Didn't carry water on the highway, filled tank the first night at the campground. I suppose next time we will keep track of odometer and gallons pumped, to be sure the old fashioned way. But the mpg average computer reads 18 mpg. And we reset it when we filled up in Deming.
Without towing we can get 29 mpg in that van with conservative driving. We are seldom in a hurry...
Old 04-25-2018, 10:21 PM   #5

we are getting ready for a two week roam. actually not sure where, just heading North. probably end up in Co. or Az. then home. so trip 3 coming up.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:46 PM   #6

Utah's nice this time of year . . . . less snow than Colorado!
Old 04-26-2018, 01:34 AM   #7

Mesa verde would be the Co destination. Not everything open, but enough
Old 04-28-2018, 08:26 AM   #8

We got to Cochiti lake last evening and joined in the parade of campers circling the campgrounds for a spot. We found one, backed in, unhitched and started setting up outside stuff. Uhoh, we forgot to fill fresh water tank on the way in. So hitch back up and start circling again. The water is at random, awkward spots so it was another "learning experience". Bet we don't do that again!
Old 04-28-2018, 10:59 AM   #9

Hilda, we bring several six gallon water jugs for exactly that scenario -- park and level the trailer, go get water, and then pour it into the fill port. Often, the water faucets are not accessible, or there is no threaded hose connection.

We have one of those "water thief" slip-on adapters -- they can come in handy, too:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Wat...&wl13=&veh=sem
Old 05-01-2018, 09:44 PM   #10

Good idea! We need to carry a jug or two along! We when we were pop up camping, we always took jugs for water, so still have a couple of jugs. We need to bring jugs, Especially since we did it again at Heron Lake. At least the campgrounds are empty, and it wasn't too much trouble to go back to the water source. It's true though, some water sources don't allow hose hookups.

Next, we went to the Jemez springs area, ended up at Fenton lake. Nice kayaking, and nice camping among tall pines, even though crowded. Sunday afternoon the place emptied. Unfortunately as I was cooking supper in the blissfully beautiful, quiet woods, so did the propane tank. The weather was changing, temps dropping and wind picking up, but we had the little buddy heater to take the chill off before bed and in the morning. Fold and go grill heated water and made toast, then we packed up and left. No propane changes a lot. I suppose we might carry an extra tank, or top off tank more often.
We're getting used to this towing business. Our trailer is very well behaved, in wind, windy roads and on grades.
Then to Heron Lake, ospreys nesting and a possible snowstorm. We have food, water and propane, so we will enjoy the weather overlooking a beautiful lake.
We have had several people come by and admire our little t139 along this trip. One man was lamenting the lack of small trailers being built, another couple ask where they could buy one. As we drove into a campground a little kid piped up, "look at at that bitty trailer!"
I know the 13' casita or scamp look tiny, but the one we have just looks 1/2 size.
It's plenty roomy inside for us, We are loving it!