Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2016, 07:18 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantraveler View Post
Well, as I said in my intro, back in 1990 we sold the house and bought a used one ton dually and a used 32' Prairie schooner fifth wheel and traveled the US for 11 months. We never had a single problem with either unit. Reading these comments is making me pretty nervous about the little used 2008 trailer that we just bought that is sitting back there in the yard covered with snow. We looked it over pretty good but who knows?? Has the whole industry quality gone down the tubes in the last 25 years? Seems like a ton of new companies have entered the field. Only time will tell. I just hope we won't be lamenting our purchase as well.
You can take heart in the fact that Cruiser has produced and sold thousands, maybe tens of thousands, of units.........and of all those owners, the % of serious complaints is but a fraction. The woes that has befell others with great displeasure, are not necessarily woes that may befall you.

For a time, I worked in retail and I cannot recount all the complaints I've heard about near every man-made product on the market!

The old adage; A dis-satisfied customer will tell 10 people who will tell 10 more while a satisfied customer MAY tell 1....who will tell no one.

I like to believe my glass is half full ........ not half empty.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:30 PM   #22

Hi Bill, Holey smoke... I am sorry to read of all your problems... Thank you for sharing...

However, we bought a used '08 FF last year and I guess we have been real lucky... We have had no real problems and love the rig. I have done a few upgrades; added additional larger batteries, fixed some wiring grounds and anchored a few wire better, added a bit of tape to several places, added a galley knife rack and paper towel rack, fixed a shelf in the bathroom vanity, and a couple other things. But really have not had any real issues. BTW, a word of caution if your awning is a Dometic, remember to squeeze the legs together until they click and snug up the large plastic lock nuts or... the awning can come open while driving.

There is also a great book, Woodall's RV Owners Manual, that has a lot of info... some common sense and some good detail, and some other stuff.

Read, ask, and learn... Look things over, maybe even get a Trailer Mechanic to go over the trailer with you and point out issues that need repair ... Those that need repair ASAP, those that can be fixed later, or those that would make life easier, but not absolutely necessary...

Good luck and

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:41 PM   #23

Thanks John!
2017 Lance 2285
Bill Sorensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:44 AM   #24

Well, when we brought our RV home and parked it in the yard a month ago we just assumed we had a power cord. Paul remembers that when the tech was preparing it to go with us he asked about the power cord. The tech said "it's in the trailer" as he unhooked the one it was plugged into. So today Paul went out to find it, you guessed it, no power cord. And it isn't generic. We called the dealer and emailed the picture. He said they will look for it. ��
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:27 PM   #25

The power cord is 'supposed' to come with the camper and should look like this:
Aleko Rv30-25M 25' 30-Amp 3-Wire RV Cord with Detachable Receptacle Male Plug with Handle - Walmart.com

as your picture did not come thru ~ at least for me.

It should have came with a hand crank to lower the corner stabilizers, a potable water hose and a sewer drain line and fittings for each end ~ however they are really a cheezy so ditched mine and bought a Camco RhinoFLEX RV Sewer Hose Kit that is far superior.

I would think your selling dealer would provide one at no charge. ??
Old 02-01-2016, 12:46 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
The power cord is 'supposed' to come with the camper and should look like this:
Aleko Rv30-25M 25' 30-Amp 3-Wire RV Cord with Detachable Receptacle Male Plug with Handle - Walmart.com

as your picture did not come thru ~ at least for me.

It should have came with a hand crank to lower the corner stabilizers, a potable water hose and a sewer drain line and fittings for each end ~ however they are really a cheezy so ditched mine and bought a Camco RhinoFLEX RV Sewer Hose Kit that is far superior.

I would think your selling dealer would provide one at no charge. ??
Well the deal was they were going to charge us $950 for the walk through. I said "sorry, we aren't paying that". He accepted our offer. So we got an as-is deal with a bare bones introduction to the trailer. No water line or sewer hose or hook ups and no outside shower hose, etc. I think we would not have wanted used ones anyway though. They are sending out the cord no charge for shipping. I will report back on that! Lol. Oh? Pictures never work for me. FAQ said only with new posts? And thanks for the Walmart link. Amazon Prime is same price. Our Walmart is 30 plus miles away.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:57 PM   #27

OH, right forgot your was previously owned. Agree wouldn't have wanted the water/sewer hoses! Uuuugg!
But the $950 for a walk thru is crazy as never heard of a dealer charging for a walk thru when selling a new or 'pre-loved' unit.
Yea, not a picture person either and also not very computer literate! LOL
Old 02-01-2016, 04:26 PM   #28

For a dealer to charge extra for a walk thru of a new or used unit is poor business on their part. To try to charge a major amount like that is bordering on criminal !
gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:57 PM   #29

Quote:
Well, when we brought our RV home and parked it in the yard a month ago we just assumed we had a power cord. Paul remembers that when the tech was preparing it to go with us he asked about the power cord. The tech said "it's in the trailer" as he unhooked the one it was plugged into. So today Paul went out to find it, you guessed it, no power cord. And it isn't generic. We called the dealer and emailed the picture. He said they will look for it. ��
Hi Michigantraveler,
Eagle is correct, your rig should have come with the power cord... My XT-190 FF came with a cord similar to the picture... (A 30 Amp Park Power Cord with 50-Amp Locking Collar). In some cases the cord I received is a bit short and I picked up a standard 30 Amp extension to make do.

BTW, the seller should have given you a walk through; I insisted on one and got a quick and dirty, but it covered most of the stuff and was included in the sale...

P.S. Be sure to carry adapters in case your spot pedestal has issues... We camped in a small CG in the wilderness that didn't have a 30 Amp outlet; we didn't need the A/C, so we ran the 30 Amp cord and used a 20 to 30 Amp adapter at the pedestal...
Attached Thumbnails
30 Amp Park Power Cord with 50-Amp Locking Collar.jpg  

Old 02-01-2016, 05:55 PM   #30

Thumbs up

Hi Bill,
I just need to add a bit more... When we (you, me, or someone else...) buys used, we should do whatever research we can and try to buy the best we can for the $$$ spent. We also need to ensure we factor in know and necessary repairs, if possible and always remember... Buyer Beware.

I don't mean to sound cold here and I have purchased my share of Lemons over the years... I bought an ATV last year, it was an older unit that looked very good. It only had 1500 miles on it and seemed to run well, so I worked out a deal that should cover the things that obviously needed repair. HOWEVER, I made a couple mistakes...
1-- I knew very little about ATV's and
2-- I ALLOWED MYSELF TO FALL IN LOVE WITH THE D@#N thing.

If I take the ATV to the dealer for major clutch repairs, the repair cost could easily out-price the ATV's worth... We all make mistakes for one reason or another... Sooo, I am getting ATV smart and will rebuild the unit myself when the weather warms because I am a stubborn individual and refuse to give up (sometimes another fault in itself)...

If any repair or cost reimbursements are not to come from the dealer and a lawsuit applicability is not to be pursued... (I'm not answering this one, just inserting all possible avenues that I can think of)...
It really boils down to fix it or sell it... If you like the trailer and can make the necessary repairs and not exceed the value too bad, I probably would fix it and keep it for a while (if the repairs are beyond your knowledge/skill level, maybe you can find someone that has the knowledge/skills that can help fix it)... The moral issue of the flip (selling it without repair due to cost exceeding value) means you are morally obligated to tell the buyer and very likely lose the sale...

A catch 22 position that only you can decide on... I wish you the best luck here and hope all works out...

Old 02-01-2016, 06:30 PM   #31

Of course the factory power cord should have been given to us. And of course we said "no" to the $950 charge. I guess some would have accepted it...wtf?? Yes, we are getting adaptors (have the 50 to 30) as well as a bunch of other needs like pressure regulator, water bandit, 90 degree elbow, water filter, back flow preventor, stabilizer, wheel chocks, scissor jack socket, Oxegenic shower head, canvas wheel covers, led replacement lights, Gorilla guard? Dual flush pro, gel top memory foam mattress, etc., etc., etc. $$$$$$. Yikes! I don't remember needing all of this stuff 25 years ago for our fifth wheel. !!!
Old 02-02-2016, 11:31 AM   #32

If you're like me, you'll find that memory foam topper to be best money you've spent !
Old 02-02-2016, 11:50 AM   #33

Some may enjoy the memory foam topper but the one I purchased and tried with the factory mattress (excuse for mattress that is) from a home improvement store was useless. It was about $50, blue in color and an egg crate type foam thing.

One nite proved it was useless so bought a new queen Serta mattress for the camper.
Then again, I've had two back surgeries so proper support when sleeping is paramount for me.

When visiting relatives over Christmas, they had a gel/memory foam topper from Kohls on the bed and it was OK so the type/brand of topper probably makes a big difference.

I'd recommend to stay away from the foam egg crate type.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:52 AM   #34

The foam topper I got was from bed bath beyond. If I had it to do again, I would have got a thicker one, although this one is pretty nice at just three inches or so thick.

EDIT, PS, I've heard some folks say though that memory foam toppers are too hot for them.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:16 PM   #35

I think the one the relatives had was either 3" or 4" thick.

It slept good but no idea what brand/type mattress it was over.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:32 PM   #36

We bought an 8" gel infused memory foam RV sized mattress. The gel makes it sleep cooler than just memory foam would. We have had memory foam toppers in the past and they are just too hot for me. We also have a regular 10" gel memory foam mattress on our home bed. Love it! The mattress in the trailer looks to be a lumpy joke with springs.

http://www.hayneedle.com/product/cla...m-mattress.cfm
Old 02-02-2016, 01:35 PM   #37

Yes, I've heard from several that the memory foam mattresses are way to hot to sleep on for many. Nephew bought one when back from Iraq and got rid of it in 6 months.

I have a sleep number bed at home that bought new about 10 years ago and totally love it. I would have got one for the camper too but wasn't in the budget.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:56 PM   #38

Quote:
Of course the factory power cord should have been given to us. And of course we said "no" to the $950 charge. I guess some would have accepted it...wtf?? Yes, we are getting adaptors (have the 50 to 30) as well as a bunch of other needs like pressure regulator, water bandit, 90 degree elbow, water filter, back flow preventor, stabilizer, wheel chocks, scissor jack socket, Oxegenic shower head, canvas wheel covers, led replacement lights, Gorilla guard? Dual flush pro, gel top memory foam mattress, etc., etc., etc. $$$$$$. Yikes! I don't remember needing all of this stuff 25 years ago for our fifth wheel. !!!
Hi Michigantraveler,
I apologize if I sounded like a butt-head, that was not my intent and I can really relate to your frustrations...

Thank you for sharing your problems with all of us and I actually found the total discussion a learning experience and hope it helps others in their purchase...

It sounds like you have done a lot with your trailer and hope to meet you and have a cold one of choice over a campfire...

Old 02-02-2016, 02:58 PM   #39

Oh no! You didn't sound like a butt head but maybe I did. I've learned that very few things go exactly like you expect them to anymore. But we can always hope! ��
My husband is very hands on and will be able to meet any issues head on I'm sure. He is of the age where he learned things from his dad as well as on his own. He likes to work alone and I pretty much stay out of his way.
If you get up to northern Michigan let us know. Would love to meet fellow rvers.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:35 PM   #40

Thumbs up

No worries Michigantraveler,
I taught turbine acft engine mechanics for years and sometimes forget I am not teaching anymore...

There seems to be several Michigan FF owners and I have seen a couple FFs on the road here in central Minnesota and a meet somewhere in between would be cool ... maybe in northern Wisconsin???

With all that said, we plan on several trip this summer to the north country to enjoy the cool and quiet of the woods and lakes (no specific spots yet in mind)...