Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2014, 06:42 AM   #1

Default Trade in value vs. selling

So it looks like its time to get into a bigger unit, last weekends trip showed my little 160 is to small for 2 adults and 2 kids. Im wondering if any of you have any input on selling vs. trading in? we will be moving up into a used class C most likely as my jeep can only tow 3,500lbs and im not selling it for a truck so now its time for my jeep to get towed around.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:55 AM   #2

It's hit or miss. Now is the best time to sell it, winter is probably the best time to trade it in.

I would figure out what I want for it and then go to a dealer and see what they offer.

Hobie i9s kayak
Kafn8td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:51 AM   #3

I just traded my Work and Play 18ec on my Fun Finder xt276. It's hard to know how bad I got beat up on the deal since they play with the numbers so much.

I thought about selling it outright but I wanted to get the new camper to prepare it for the summer trip. Yes, I could have gotten more IF I found someone who wanted to buy it and MORE importantly, had the cash to buy it. I don't think it is as easy to finance a used camper as a new one. Also, in Florida the trade in value is subtracted from the selling price so you don't pay sales tax on that amount. This helps make up for some of the lower price.

Good luck on your deal.
2011Harley Road Glide Ultra
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:52 AM   #4

Easy answer:
The 'trade in' price will always be lower than market retail price because the dealer has to make a profit to stay in business. He also calculates the time cost to prep it for sale, repairs needed and estimates the time he will have his money tied up in it before it sells. That is all part of being in business as he has to sell it for MORE that his cost plus overhead including business license, insurance, taxes, employees, etc.

Selling it yourself means you have to store it, advertise it and put up with the tire kickers, hagglers, whiners and those who want a warranty.

There are pros and cons to each aspect ~ your choice.