Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2018, 05:13 PM   #1

Default Trailer with no title

It's a 2007 FF 240. Longer than we wanted but the price is right. But I don't know why they wouldn't have a title. Is there any legitimate reason there would be no title?

I know people lose titles, but those can be replaced. My 92 yo mil accidently threw away her car title right before we sold her car. She was "cleaning out" excess paperwork. So now we have to apply for a lost title.

It's hard to tell what kind of shape it's in. Lots of sun yellowing and they painted the cabinets, badly. They are asking $2400. Low retail is $4400. It's that lack of title that is really bothering me. I don't want to buy a stolen trailer.

Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:48 PM   #2

There should be a VIN near the door -- is there a way to find it and then check with the police or the Dept of Motor Vehicles in your state? Are there current license plates?

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:56 PM   #3

It has a license plate. They didn't show a picture of the door. I'll call and see what they have to say. I googled more and found that there is a carfax type thing for trailers, called rvchecks.com.

We want a 160, small enough to grab and go for a short trip and roomy enough too.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:50 PM   #4

Is it located far away from you? That price is amazing, if it is legal and in decent condition, especially the roof.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 08:41 AM   #5
Site Team

I don't think (although I'm not positive) all states require a title for travel trailers. You will need to get some sort of proof of ownership though. Check with your state's DMV they will tell you what documentation you'll need to register a trailer. And if it's from out of state they will know what that state's documentation requirements are.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 08:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
Is it located far away from you? That price is amazing, if it is legal and in decent condition, especially the roof.
Oooh, I know! That's why we're considering it instead of a 160. It looks like it needs some work. So far the guy hasn't responded back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ View Post
I don't think (although I'm not positive) all states require a title for travel trailers. You will need to get some sort of proof of ownership though. Check with your state's DMV they will tell you what documentation you'll need to register a trailer. And if it's from out of state they will know what that state's documentation requirements are.
Ours does (Texas). But I will check with the DMV. They may be able to tell me why it doesn't have a title too. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:57 PM   #7

Hi, I happen to own a 2007 X240 Fun Finder. We really like it. I can tell you the VIN number is on a label on the left front side, just ahead of the storage door. Also there is a sticker in the cabinet above the sink with VIN, and weight information. As for buying it without a title, I would not go there myself. Until you can be sure of ownership and free of any liens on it, it is risky. No title and you will not be able to get tags, when needed. Many insurance companies will not insure without proof of ownership. It is a wonderful trailer, but you need to actually own it. IMHO
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:14 AM   #8

Until the current "owner" offering the trailer for sale can produce a title/proof of ownership ..... do NOT give them one penny and save yourself from a ton of trouble.