Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2015, 08:08 AM   #1

Default Trip report: Snow Camping in Fun Finder -- Sequoia

We stayed for several days at Lodgepole Campground -- the park service let us stay in the parking lot because there were no unplowed spots available for RVs. Most of the time there was no one else in the whole campground. Lots of snow. Good snowshoeing and hiking. And we had a minor bear attack -- no kidding!

We were very impressed with the insulation of the Fun Finder -- it was very easy to keep it warm inside, running the heater every so often. And we were pleased that when the temp was around 20 at night, we had no problem with freezing of the water line. The only problem was when it got down to 11 degrees one night -- the outlet hose from the tank to the pump froze, even though I had wrapped it in reflectix. (And it thawed later in the day.) We did not expect that a non-winterized, non-enclosed, non-heated water system would withstand such cold temps.

Anyway, if you want to read more (lots of photos!), here is the link:

http://danschechter.blogspot.com/201...mber-2015.html

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:22 AM   #2

Hey Dan,

The link isn't working for me ??

Old 11-20-2015, 09:51 AM   #3

Good catch, Neil. I fixed the link, I think. Thanks.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:08 PM   #4

Awesome trip! I feel so sorry for that little bear. I wonder why he didn't hibernate?

I'm glad to hear your trailer did so well in the freeze. We are going camping in our first freezing weather soon and I'm a little worried about it. Which hose froze? One inside a cabinet?
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:35 AM   #5

Marti, the line that froze is the one that runs from the water tank to the pump -- it is outside. And note that it did not freeze in 20 degree weather, on several nights -- just once when it went down to 11 degrees. And it thawed by itself the next day, with no damage. Where are you going camping, and how cold will it be?

I should add that we have done a lot of camping with the temps around 20 at night, with no trouble at all!
Old 11-22-2015, 10:13 AM   #6

We were going to go to a state park in the Texas panhandle, but now it's supposed to be icy from here to there and we don't want to drive on ice, so cancelled.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:52 PM   #7

Good call. I have towed once in ice -- we had no choice (we got caught in a surprise snowstorm while boondocking in the Sierra, and the road iced up during the first few minutes of the storm). That was not fun.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:49 PM   #8

I bet. We were going to leave Wednesday afternoon, arrive at the campground after 10pm, and then weather.com said it was supposed to rain the rest of the weekend, with ice and low temps. Just didn't sound like much fun. No use dragging the trailer 300 miles for that.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:07 PM   #9

We thought about heading that way, but went to Lake Cachuma instead. It got *all* the way into the mid-40s at night.

The only complaint with that was because it was a new trailer, the smoke alarm went off the first night when the heater fired up.
guybmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybmoto View Post
We thought about heading that way, but went to Lake Cachuma instead. It got *all* the way into the mid-40s at night.

The only complaint with that was because it was a new trailer, the smoke alarm went off the first night when the heater fired up.
Our smoke alarm would go off every single time we cooked anything. Even boiling water would set it off with all the windows open and the stove vent fan running. I just got into the habit of pulling and replacing the battery everytime we cooked.

Old 11-25-2015, 04:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travels with Yoly View Post
Our smoke alarm would go off every single time we cooked anything. Even boiling water would set it off with all the windows open and the stove vent fan running. I just got into the habit of pulling and replacing the battery everytime we cooked.
You did open the flap on the exterior for the exhaust fan, right?
guybmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 05:32 PM   #12

Guy, we removed that flap -- there were a few times where it was raining and I had to out and undo it. We just leave it open all the time -- hurrah for fresh air! I put window screen material in the fan exhaust opening, so that the mosquitoes would not fly through the fan and into the cabin. (A few brave bugs did exactly that. But not any more.)
Old 11-25-2015, 09:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybmoto View Post
You did open the flap on the exterior for the exhaust fan, right?
Yes, the flap door was open. It's an easy reach for me and unlatches and relatches with a gentle tug so I always open it when we set up camp. I always close it at night if the wind is blowing also because it "rattles" and makes noise. I was serious about the alarm going off with all the windows AND door wide open .... not only when boiling water but cooking anything on the stove. Removing & replacing the battery also became a very easy effort once I had the technique down