Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2015, 01:19 PM   #1

Default Two questions in one, is it OK?

What would be a good club to join sam / koa / passport America?

2nd question what is best to use while traveling between states that will give you the best legal roads to use. I'm in VT the biggest problem is yourself. Not to think about low hanging tree trunks.

Is there a general rule about driving on Hwy's parkways or interstates?

What is the best guide to have with you to see if the next state has different rules?

Also what propane tanks? Are they allowed and do we need to turn off?

1st timer pulling a camper

thanks

greenmtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 01:54 PM   #2

Default Re: Two questions in one, is it OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmtnman
What would be a good club to join sam / koa / passport America?

Most of the "Clubs" offer a 10% discount which basically covers the taxes in most cases. However, things like AAA or AARP also provide the same 10% discount so it may not be necessary to join other clubs. The exception is Passport America. They offer a 50% discount and the $44 a year fee pays for itself after 2 stays at a PA park. They do have many restrictions but if you're camping Sunday thru Thursday, it will be the most cost effective choice there is.

2nd question what is best to use while traveling between states that will give you the best legal roads to use. I'm in VT the biggest problem is yourself. Not to think about low hanging tree trunks.

There really isn't much difference in roads state to state, other than more toll roads in the East. Any GPS or map book will suffice as well as Google Maps on a phone or tablet. Not sure what you mean by "best" roads. I usually just take the ones that take me where I want to go. My only advice would be to stay clear of big cities if you can especially Dallas/Ft. Worth and Houston.

Is there a general rule about driving on Hwy's parkways or interstates?

The only rule here would be simply to keep your speeds down if possible. The ST tires on travel trailers are speed rated to a maximym of 65 mph and I tend to keep it below that or at that speed if I'm just covering ground from point A to point B.

What is the best guide to have with you to see if the next state has different rules?

We travel state to state all the time and the only differential in state regs that come to mind is California where ALL towing vehicles are limited to 55 mph maximum no matter what. If you are pulling a standard travel trailer then regs are typically the same for that application.

Also what propane tanks? Are they allowed and do we need to turn off?

It has been recommended that propane tanks be turned off when towing but I think that is an outdated concept. Most of the travel trailers today rely on propane to power the refrigerator when underway going down the highway. Most travel trailers today (including our Fun Finder) automatically switch over to propane as soon as you disconnect the shore power (and switch back to the 110 VAC as soon as it's reconnected again at a campsite). The only issue with propane is traveling through areas that have tunnel restrictions like Baltimore Harbor on I-95 for instance. Not sure what the specifics of the regs are, but we try to avoid these areas if possible.

1st timer pulling a camper

thanks

Old 06-27-2015, 02:35 PM   #3

What was stated above covers it very well.

From my experience, Passport America is a bust unless your camping mostly excludes weekends, major holidays and 'tourist areas' like near national parks and such similiar places as those areas often don't give a Passport America discount from June into September so you pay full price

I travel with my propane on to keep the frig cold & never had a problem.

Some states, like Montana, require slower vehicles or those towing a trailer travel in the outside lane of traffic unless passing another vehicle.

IF traveling with a firearm, each state has specific regulations you need to check/follow & KNOW for legality for handguns and/or long guns ... being concealed, carry, loaded/unloaded, etc. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

It's handy to do an internet check of each states Department of Transportation listing/map of roads under construction to avoid delays and detours.

Happy camping.