Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2017, 05:24 PM   #1

Default Visiting Florida without the trailer.

My wife and I drove down from Michigan to Florida for the week to look at houses and visit the in-laws. Got to say that the weather is a damn sight better in Florida than up north. Anyway, by the end of the week we will be heading North again. So long sunny Florida.

twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:10 PM   #2

Yeah, right now. But wait until summer. You live in air conditioning. Too many people in most places down there.

It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:32 PM   #3

Been to Florida twice in my life....both times in the late fall.

To damn many people that don't speak english and far to hot and humid for me as reminded me of my time in the military in S.E. Asia.

No plans considered to EVER visit there again.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:09 PM   #4
APD

Talking

High summer is hot everywhere.
We like Florida for it's diverse climate from the GA line down to the tip. We have some kinfolk and many friends there and visit whenever we can. We've been in the winter and the dead of summer. Mostly central Florida. Last year we were down in May for a couple of weeks and again in July for about a week. We always stay as close to the beach (east side) as possible and in the summer it's actually off season since all the snowbirds have fled.
The hottest place we've been was NY. We visited New York state for a week in July 2010 (?) and almost roasted! It was a surprising 105 in the shade! Being an ol' southern boy, I expected it to be a lot cooler.
The coldest we've ever camped was in Northern Virginia in January! It was the low teens at a place called Rock-a-hock on a large lake and the strong wind would cut you in two......
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:15 PM   #5
APD

Twinster I take it y'all are thinking of moving there?
We have family near Ormond Beach that moved there last year and they love it.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
Old 01-10-2017, 07:49 PM   #6

Diverse climate? Not very. High summer temperatures, high humidity, high population density, many insects including roaches, fire ants; snakes...hurricanes, brown lawns, high electric costs....crime
Nah...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.498eadcc0cca
Old 01-10-2017, 07:58 PM   #7
APD

Mich, northern Michigan is on our bucket list but it's so crowded in the summer and impassible in the winter that we'll need to sneak up there in the spring or fall. I hear from reliable sources that it's very pretty. The people I know from there are super friendly.

They also told me something about bugs but I don't remember what they said.

Alan
1994 GMC Camper Van,
Old 01-10-2017, 08:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigantraveler View Post
diverse climate? Not very. High summer temperatures, high humidity, high population density, many insects including roaches, fire ants; snakes...hurricanes, brown lawns, high electric costs....crime
nah...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.498eadcc0cca

alligators ....... Don't forget the alligators !

:d
Old 01-10-2017, 08:06 PM   #9
APD

Exclamation

Oh yeah, gators!
Watch out around the dog walk! Gators absolutely LOVE dogs......

Alan
1994 GMC Camper Van,
Old 01-10-2017, 08:12 PM   #10

We are looking in Leesburg (central florida), perhaps on a pond in a gated 55 community. Summer months we may spend camping north. As far as populated, not really that bad where we are focusing at. But i definitely would not go looking in the villages, way too many people.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:15 PM   #11

It's funny, I would probably still be in AZ, if the Boss hadn't wanted to move here... I love the AZ desert, but there a a number of changes that I do not particularly care for... Over the last 5 or 6 decades, I have watched a progressively reduction in rainfall, more issues with people crossing the border illegally, an increase in drug trafficking, a temp increase, and a large influx in population... I suppose these and other things are happening all over so, I guess living is where you are... I really hate the cold in MN, but the Upper Mid-West is otherwise a very nice place to live... especially if away from any large city AND have a trailer to allow an escape

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:27 PM   #12

You get summer population on the west (Lk. Michigan) coast. Inland not so much. We are 20 miles east of the lake). The Lk Huron side is also less busy. We have few mosquitoes here in the National Forest and few black flies. We are a mile from a major river with a large Dam. There is a huge bat population at the dam. They love mosquitoes. The north tip of Michigan and the UP have many mosquitoes and black flies in the spring. If your near water you will have mosquitoes. We also get ticks and need to use treatments on our dogs and cat. Summer here is rarely very hot..mid eighties usual max. Nice breeze from the big lake. Rarely temps below zero in winter. Where we are you can drive for miles and not pass another vehicle. We have many places where we can take our dogs to run without other people getting bothered. Three major rivers within 10 miles, clear streams, Lakes, etc. and the nearest freeway is 30 miles away. Peace and quiet. Fishing, kayaking, hunting, swimming, cross country skiing, snowmobiling, all right here. Traverse City is forty miles north for city stuff, Nice place to retire to. Many vacation here.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:34 PM   #13
APD

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinster2 View Post
We are looking in Leesburg (central florida), perhaps on a pond in a gated 55 community. Summer months we may spend camping north. As far as populated, not really that bad where we are focusing at. But i definitely would not go looking in the villages, way too many people.
We have friends in Deland, not too far from Leesburg. The Ocala National Forest is nice. Our Van Club holds one of the meetings there every year.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
Old 01-12-2017, 01:09 PM   #14
Site Team

I have relatives in Florida that live in a 55+ gated community. The community takes care of most of the yard maintenance as part of the homeowners fees so it's kept up when people are gone and they also have a large fenced area to store trailers & RVs (can't keep those in your driveway). I'm sure there are plenty of similar communities throughout the state.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote