Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2014, 07:01 AM   #1

Default We are now official members of the family :-)

We picked up our new 2015 Fun Finder 214WSD yesterday and it is an immaculate unit. It's so much bigger and more comfortable than our previous two TTs that we are quite excited about our first trip in it next week. I've posted before what I think of the importance of having a good dealer is and our experience is just one example. I've started a new Blog just to chronicle it's adventures so you can see what our delivery experience was like.

www.neilandyoly.blogspot.com

Feel free to check back next week as we post pictures and tales of our adventures from Smokey Mountains National Park

Old 10-10-2014, 09:26 AM   #2

Default Wow!

Congratulations, and well done! Remember that there will be "bugs" in any new trailer, so keep your sense of humor handy at all times!

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:44 AM   #3

Yes, we already found a couple "bugs" but they were easily scooped up in a paper towel and disposed of

Old 10-11-2014, 02:09 PM   #4

Welcome to "the family"...nice pics of your rig on your blog!

And like Dan said, a sense of humor will be your best friend...

Have a great trip to the Smokies!
Old 10-11-2014, 04:44 PM   #5

Thanks Michelle

I've been going through all the systems and so far, I can't find fault one with the design or execution. I've found 1 stripped screw and it's an unessential cosmetic item that no one will notice. Been running the A/C on and off for days and it works fine. Checked the fridge issue by unplugging the shore power and saw that it switches immediately to LP. I did it after running on 110V for a long time and I did it after running it on 110V for 5 minutes and it switches over immediately without hesitation. I checked the water pump & fresh water system as well as the city water and black water flush system. No leaks or issues anywhere. I've checked the slide seals and they're perfect, nice and smooth and supple. We've had heavy rain several times since we had it home and not a drop inside. I installed my own TV and swivel mount using a 1/2 inch piece of solid birch to reinforce the mounting area in the entertainment system. The bat-wing anntena works well as I'm picking up 6 stations (most I've seen before was 2).

Now, here's the important part .... the technician that did the PDI was meticulous in his work and in his walk-thru with me. He also commented that this is the first 2015 model he's seen with several major changes which include a non Swintec slide-out and LED lighting, inside and out. It has a new stereo system that he's never seen before also. The counter-top is a much lighter color than any he had seen before also and we really like it over what the brochure pictures had shown. Everywhere I look, I'm impressed. We just added another day at the RV park where we're staying (leaving a day earlier) so that we can avoid driving and setting up in "severe thunderstorms" forecast for that day.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:07 PM   #6

Where do you have LEDs inside? Mine (a 2015 also) were the standard incandescent bulbs that I replaced with LEDs. Also, there is no way to dim the awning LED string, is that correct?

How do I look to see what kind of slide mechanism I have? I just assumed it was a Schwintek and downloaded the troubleshooting guide "just in case", because I just know it's going to go bad some day when I'm out in the wilderness and I'll need to override the motor and shove it in manually...

ON EDIT: I just looked through my paperwork and noted that my 2015 189FDS has a Schwintek slide mechanism. I'll go out tomorrow and get the model number.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:20 PM   #7

The hanging light fixture in the slide-out has incandescent bulbs but every other cabin light and all exterior lights are LEDs. The awning LED can't be dimmed but the two position switch gives me the option to change from "white" to "yellow" colored lights. When it's in the yellow mode, it also activates an additional yellow light behind the 3 steps to illuminate your way.

I don't know enough about slide-outs to know one from the other (this is our first). The one we have has a hex stud under the chassis behind the stairs which can be rotated with the same crank handle used for the stabilizers to move the slide-out in or out should you loose 12 volt power.

Remember, this is a 214WSD that we have so different models may be configured differently. The Heart of Gold's official birthday is 09/29/14. Mine also came equipped with a rear ladder installed

Side note .... ran the furnace this evening just to see if it worked or if I needed to burn off any residual coatings or oil that would make it smell the first time. The tech must have done that already as it worked perfectly with no smell what so ever.

My only dislike so far is the coupler on the tongue. I had to buy a new 2 5/16 inch ball (original on my hitch was standard 2 inch) and the coupler is unlike any I've seen before. There is a flat plate welded across the bottom which hides the forked piece that hooks under the ball so you can't really see it. I couldn't get it to let go of the ball when I was trying to unhitch. I tried prying from underneath with no luck. Then I smacked it once with the screwdriver handle and it broke free I was able to lift the top latch and move it rearward. This finally allowed the coupler to disengage from the ball, but even then it was difficult. Seems to be a really tight fit. Guess I'll hit with a glob of grease and see if it improves.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:26 PM   #8

Default WD 40 every time -- not grease

We spray the coupler with WD 40 every time we hitch up for a trip. Heavy grease can get gritty and will then abrade the metal parts.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 04:59 PM   #9

Hey Prof,

Thanks for the advice. I have a few similar options to WD40 and I had quite a hard time hooking it up this afternoon regardless of what and how much I sprayed on it. It's just a peculiar design concept and doesn't leave a lot of "wiggle room". I think part of my problem is that the trailer (where it's parked) is pointing slightly downhill (drainage away from the house front) while the tow vehicle is pointing uphill. Our driveway rises uphill about 35 degrees and the front of the trailer ends up being right at the transition, not at the full 35 degree mark but maybe 20 degrees at that point. Really makes it hard to connect the spring bars on the WD hitch also.

I plan on grading and paving a grass area along side of the house and putting up a metal carport eventually so it will probably get easier on level ground.

Also, in response to one of Michelle's questions, one other new item for the 2015 FF214WSD is a folding, glass stove top. It's really nice and allows the stove top to be used as counter space if needed.

We've just finished loading the trailer for a noon departure tomorrow heading up to the Great Smokey Mountains National Park area. We were supposed to leave Tuesday but forecast is for 100% chance of severe thunder storms so I didn't want to travel that day, nor set up camp in that weather so we have a window of decent conditions tomorrow afternoon and we're taking advantage of that. Thankfully, the campground is only 100 miles away

Old 10-13-2014, 06:40 PM   #10

Have fun with it. The Great Smoky Mountains National Park was beautiful, but the traffic through Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg can be bad.

It felt weird, like having a cheesy tourist trap bolted on the side of a national treasure.

guybmoto is offline   Reply With Quote