Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2017, 07:47 PM   #1

Default What kind of pans do you use?

So, I know about Dutch ovens and cast iron skillets, but can you use other pots and pans? We don't do campfire cooking, mostly grilling on BBQ grill or camp stove and I want to cook outside more this trip, but I don't know what pots and pans would be safe.

Old 05-27-2017, 10:17 PM   #2

My first choice for cooking of course is my cast iron but since you are aware of them, next I use a 16" Carbon steel frying pan, works great on the stove, BBQ or fire pit. It is quite large and becomes heavy when full of food but will cook a large quantity at once, I get a few looks from other campers when I pull it out as it barely fits on my BBQ. It is great for deep frying as well. Then my third pan is just a cheap Non stick " The Rock" frying pan for tomato and other sticky sauces. It is not my favorite pan but will last a couple years until I find an high quality stainless steel one, I am thinking in the $100 to $150 range. You get what you pay for. The pictures are of the large Carbon Steel Outfitters frying pan.
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2017, 10:54 PM   #3

Whatever I can buy cheap during black Friday. Seriously, I generally use aluminum pots and pans for indoor and out door stoves. Cast iron is nice but it is heavy and rusts.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:21 AM   #4

My sister in law left some nice non-stick pots and pans in the camper when we bought it from her but I really don't want to use them outside. I have several sets of sturdy pots no pans that I may just take long. I just wondered if there was any reason why I couldn't outside of DH saying "we have enough"! ��
Old 05-28-2017, 10:37 PM   #5

We never cook on the campfire -- too dangerous while boondocking in the national forests to make a fire. Inside the trailer, we have a good nonstick skillet and a good nonstick soup pot. Both are easy to clean -- saves water while boondocking.

Here is a tip that you probably already know -- save everyone's used napkins. Moisten them a little. Scrub the pot with the napkin before washing. Saves water!
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote