Old 03-03-2015, 09:07 AM   #1

Default Winter TV storage ??

When you store your camper for the cold winter months, do you remove the flat screen TV and store it in your home ~ or leave it in below zero winter temps stored in your camper?

I've been told flat screens should be not left in sub zero temperatures so remove mine and stored it in the house over the winter months.

What say you?

Old 03-03-2015, 09:25 AM   #2

I concur LED and LCD screens do not like really cold temps. I'm also leary of extreme ranges of temperature causing extreme ranges of expansion and contraction. As a result, I usually leave a small space heater in the camper anytime it's below freezing and never let the cabin temp drop below 40 degrees. The Heart of Gold is currently at the dealer getting the leaks fixed under warranty so I naturally removed the LED flatscreen since it will be below freezing while it's in their storage.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:29 PM   #3
roy

I leave it in. But I don't live in Siberia either.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy
I leave it in. But I don't live in Siberia either.

Siberia:
With an extreme subarctic climate (Kppen climate classification Dwd), Oymyakon is known as one of the candidates for the Northern Pole of Cold, the other being the town of Verkhoyansk. The ground there is permanently frozen (continuous permafrost).

On February 6, 1933, a temperature of −67.7 C (−90 F) was recorded at Oymyakon's weather station.[7][8][9] This is, along with the same reading at Verkhoyansk, the lowest recorded temperature for any permanently inhabited location on Earth. It is also the lowest temperature recorded in the Northern Hemisphere.[8] Only Antarctica has recorded lower official temperatures (the lowest being −89.2 C (−128.6 F), recorded at Vostok Station on 21 July 1983.)[10][11]

The weather station is in a valley between Oymyakon and Tomtor. The station is at 750 meters (2,460 ft) and the surrounding mountains at 1,100 meters (3,600 ft), causing cold air to pool in the valley: in fact, recent studies show that winter temperatures in the area increase with altitude by as much as 10C (18F).[12]

Sometimes the temperature drops below 0 C (32 F) in late September and may remain negative until mid-May. In Oymyakon sometimes the average minimum temperature for January, February and December remains below −50 C (−58 F). Sometimes summer months can also be quite cold, but June and July are the only months where temperature has never dropped below −10 C (14 F). Oymyakon and Verkhoyansk are the only two permanently inhabited places in the world that have recorded temperatures below −60.0 C (−76 F) for every day in January.[13][14]

Oymyakon has never recorded an above freezing temperature between October 25 and March 17. [15]

Nope, not that cold in the upper midwest of the USA! Although I have seen near -40 degrees and wind chills near -80 below.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:40 PM   #5

And I thought growing up in Winnipeg was bad
Old 03-03-2015, 02:44 PM   #6

When attending NDSU in Fargo North Dakota, there was a 2 week period when the temp never got above 20 below zero.

Had to dig out a warm jacket that winter.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle
When attending NDSU in Fargo North Dakota, there was a 2 week period when the temp never got above 20 below zero.

yasiirr, you betcha eh ?
Old 03-03-2015, 03:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travels with Yoly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle

yasiirr, you betcha eh ?
You know what, I lived in Fargo for about a year back in the mid 60's and never once did I hear anyone talk like ~ only in the movie 'Fargo'

Jollywood false interpetations again!

Old 03-03-2015, 05:20 PM   #9

I grew up in Canada and never heard anyone say "Eh" after everything until Doug and Bob McKensie (Dave Thomas & Rick Moranis) started doing it on Second City's "The Great White North". However, since then I recognize it frequently in almost every Canadian I meet. When we traveled Minnesota last year we frequently heard a local form of "yes" when most young people would quickly reply, "yep, yep". I have heard the Fargoesque dialect in various forms from other older Minnesotans and I don't think that Hollywood completely created it totally out of the blue without some reference at it's origins. I also can't explain why the Minnesota dialect automatically transfers to North Dakota though as in the movie.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:20 PM   #10

Never heard of the "eh" thing but have heard many people respond with Yep or Yup instead of saying yes, and that is not restricted to any particular local in the USA.
I've traveled most states except extreme NE area. Most notable is the southern dialect and drawl ~ and calling everyone 'honey' for some reason.

Oh, and the ones that end every sentence with "you know" and or the overuse of the word 'like' every third word.