Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2017, 04:14 AM   #41

Yes, Ziebart has been the primary company for that. And Eagle is right, it was called undercoating. Every older Jeep Liberty I have seen has the bottom of the door rust problem like ours. 10 years in the rustbelt has not been kind to it.
They used to say that people trade in or change cars every three years, we seem to do the same but it's because we don't want to keep pumping repair money into the same clunker...so we get a different clunker. Beats high payments though, I think. As I said before, my first House cost $15k back around 1970. Lol!

It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:07 AM   #42

I had heard that before ... 'people trade/change cars every three years' .. and I suppose there is a basis for that. Historically, I keep a vehicle 10 years, sometimes more. General maintenance/repairs beat replacement cost IMO.

I've always done my own maintenance but wit the newer vehicles electronics and complex interconnections, it's become near impossible w/o expensive, high tech computer diagnoistic equipment.

Also, more and more vehicle are leased, not purchased ~ some say as many as 50% of the new/newer vehicles on the road are leased, usually for 2 years.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:24 AM   #43

We've never qualified for leasing based upon our mileage. I cannot see spending even $20,000 on a vehicle. To us that is still a lot of money. Especially with the immediate depreciation. People buy things with their emotions and egos far to often. But I guess it keeps the economy going. We aren't doing our part.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:01 AM   #44
APD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
I've always done my own maintenance but wit the newer vehicles electronics and complex interconnections, it's become near impossible w/o expensive, high tech computer diagnoistic equipment.
There's a push on by the auto manufacturers to legally prevent access to the ECM software. Much like personal computers and software now.
In other words, you buy the vehicle but the software/programming that controls it will remain the property of the manufacturer.....

BTW they have updated our forecast....it's supposed to be mid sixties tomorrow and mid seventies on Wednesday!
I may open the windows and run the attic fan.....

1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:25 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantraveler View Post
We've never qualified for leasing based upon our mileage. I cannot see spending even $20,000 on a vehicle. To us that is still a lot of money. Especially with the immediate depreciation. People buy things with their emotions and egos far to often. But I guess it keeps the economy going. We aren't doing our part.
I have never leased and never purchased a new vehicle for myself .. other than one Harley Davidson motorcycle .. all others used. But spoiled the wife with a new Jeep Trail Hawk for getting thru the winter snows as has more ground clearance than my Ram 2500 4x4.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:30 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by APD View Post
There's a push on by the auto manufacturers to legally prevent access to the ECM software. Much like personal computers and software now.
In other words, you buy the vehicle but the software/programming that controls it will remain the property of the manufacturer.....

BTW they have updated our forecast....it's supposed to be mid sixties tomorrow and mid seventies on Wednesday!
I may open the windows and run the attic fan.....

The vehicle mfgs are restricting any vehicle service and soon the engine compartment will be secured and only accessible by the dealership. And those 'aftermarket tuners' will soon be illegal.

The first vehicle mfg got sued and more to follow.
Harley-Davidson to pay $12 million fine over motorcycle emissions | Reuters

Old 01-09-2017, 04:34 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
The vehicle mfgs are restricting any vehicle service and soon the engine compartment will be secured and only accessible by the dealership. And those 'aftermarket tuners' will soon be illegal.

The first vehicle mfg got sued and more to follow.
Harley-Davidson to pay $12 million fine over motorcycle emissions | Reuters
You could see that coming as far back as the late 70's, I guess with all the computer controlling going on AND they are trying to take the old cars off the road... Parts for the old cars are really hard to find and it often becomes a junk yard hunt for a broken PLASTIC part...

I even had to go online to buy a used center console lid and the passenger side window to replace the ones that broke beyond repair on my '05 Cavalier... And like you, I had to bite my lip when I sold my '91 K-5 (The last year they made the K-5 Body style and leaf-springs all around) Blazer with almost 300,000 miles on the Original Engine... No wrecks, no dents, no rust, no smoke, and Never even pulled a rocker cover!! I could work on it and even had a cheap engine code reader that made it easy to work on... Still sorry to have sold it, but the newer truck is very nice to drive... ... What do they say... Parting was such sorrow... /

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:23 PM   #48
APD

Talking

Our mid-nineties vehicles are not too bad to work on and do minor repairs. They're not quite as computerized as the newer autos. Our '93 Shorty had developed a hard start condition when warmed up. Started OK when it was cold. It's such a pretty day here I decided to check it out. Long story short, the ECT sensor was reporting about 0 degrees all the time. That would cause it to flood during a warm start. New sensor swapped in and she starts like a champ.
There are some things about the EFI and ECM controlled vehicles that I find easier to troubleshoot but you do need the proper tools and test procedure. OH, and you would need to enjoy tinkering around on 'em.

BTW its up to about 74 degrees today on my back porch!!! Warmer than usual for sure soooo I opened the windows and I'm running the attic fan to air out our old shack.
Looking at mid 60's for highs the next week or so.
Running above normal but I'll take it......

Tell me some more about shoveling that snow.......
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 02:32 PM   #49

We haven't shoveled or blown snow yet and we have a big circular drive. We have a four wheel drive Jeep and put it in high. Walks right out. Paul had s great time snowmobiling 115 miles on Tuesday. Beautiful snow. I'm loving photographing it and seeing the deer, turkeys and other critters. The wood stove keeps us a cozy 72 degrees and all is well. No bugs.