Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2016, 07:15 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
I have the XT276 Toy Hauler....bought new in the spring of 2012, a special order from the factory. About the only thing I do not like is the front bed layout. I prefer one with access on 3 sides but for size/weight, no such arrangement available.

Other changes:
1. Replaced the factory 12" or 14" TV with a 32" flat screen.
2. Ordered w/convection microwave but never used the convection part.
3. Replaced the straight bath curtain rod for more space when taking a shower....here: https://www.amazon.com/Stromberg-Car.../dp/B0031XXW4O
4. Installed a full length mirror in the bathroom.
5. Installed a 3 bulb light fixture above the bath vanity.
6. Installed a built in water pressure regulator....here: Pressure-Reducing City Water Entry, Wall Mount - Shurflo 183-029-18 - Faucets & Inlets - Camping World This is much simpler than dragging along one that screws onto a hose and always in place if one is forgetful.
7. Made simple 'black out' curtains for the windows as many camp grounds have bright lights as do WalMart parking lots.
8. Added a 120V duplex outlet by the dinnett table.
9. Replaced factory excuse for mattress with regular mattress...couldn't justify price for a Sleep Number.

And probably a few other thing can't think of at the moment.
Wow, you did a lot of things -- and ease and comfort at the forefront. Thanks for sharing!

NedProvince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:17 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
Ned, bring earplugs to Dockweiler -- it is right under the flight path. Other than that, it is great -- right on the bike path, too!
My husband was very against going there, but it was the only place that was open and is only 20 mins. away, it is a good test run!

When I was growing up my family went to that beach all the time. The airplane noise is even more amplified. Many years ago, in my youth, we went there for a fourth of July and it was like being in Desert Storm (or what I imagine it would be)... we had to crawl on our stomachs, since firecrackers were being set off everywhere.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:19 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantraveler View Post
Oh, we also replaced the maxxair fan with a Fantastic fan with the thermostat and rain sensor. That was a good buy even when it sat in the driveway in the hot sun during the summer. It would cool it down. We have never taken a shower in our FF.
And we never have used the tv.
I don't anticipate using the TV either, since we have laptops, which we use all the time. We were talking about taking "Navy showers" -- I have long hair (and actually, our son does, too) and I think to actually shampoo/condition we'd have to use the park facilities. Is that what you do?
Old 11-23-2016, 07:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Yes, we have lots of photos in our gallery. Go to the top of the page and you will see a tab called Gallery. Many people have put their photos in albums there, including us. I did make the covers removable by using Velcro closures along one long edge. But the Waverly indoor/outdoor fabric is pretty indestructible and the faux leather doesn't really need laundering, wipes off easily. I didn't like the swoops detail on the original valances so we made new ones. Also removing 10,000 tiny staples from the old valances was not something we wanted to deal with. The covers were a challenge to see until I happened upon a woman's website that made it much simpler to do. The thick material and corners were "interesting" to work with.
OMG! We are redoing the valances right now and you are SO right about the 10,000 staples. We (I say "we" because I supervised, but Jim really did the "heavy lifting"/stapling) finished one (the big one in the front window) valance, two more to go.

It was a TOTAL pain to remove it. Jim's not looking forward to putting it back .

Yesterday, I removed the decals around the sink and stove and put in a new backsplash. I think it looks so pretty! Our son came home from college (in NYC) yesterday and saw the caravan for the first time and declared it "very us" --we have quite a bit of the personalization/mod done. I cannot wait to share it with you guys.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:14 AM   #25

We have always camped with showers if possible. When we aren't the navy shower works fine. Bend over the shower pan and use the Oxigenic (upgrade) shower head on the hose. Being careful. I also forgot to mention that we replaced the very poor excuse of an mattress with a gel infused memory foam model like we have at home. Heaven to sleep on but weighs 65 pounds!! Have to use a prop to get under the bed now.
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 10:16 AM   #26

Wow!! You are diving right in!! That's great! I notice that you call yours a caravan. Are you from England?
Old 11-27-2016, 04:30 AM   #27

Quote:
Wow!! You are diving right in!! That's great! I notice that you call yours a caravan. Are you from England?
Hi!

I'm sorry, I know calling it a "caravan" is an affectation, but I AM an Anglophile . We are both born and raised in So. Cal.

My in-laws have a memory foam bed in their fifth-wheel that I LOVE. I love taking naps in it. We haven't slept in it yet, but will know in a week.

My sad news is that the tin tiles LOOKED great initially, but are crap and within two days were pulling away (despite using "extra" adhesive) at the corners. I used 20 of the tin tiles and it TOOK FOREVER to install. I am now going to have install and eat the cost (bought two small boxes, each with 14 tiles, for $19 on Amazon).

I am now going to get a 20x20 single giant tin tile -- it arrives today. I have to take the tiles off and then try and remove the adhesive without destroying the wallpaper. I started to do it the other night, but my asthma was really bothering me and my husband made me stop.

Hopefully, when the rain dries up, Jim can check under the chassis to be sure that when he installs the metal tube thingy for our new "table" he won't hit any wires or tubes. He checked this forum and someone mentioned there are some below the caravan.

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!!
Nadine
Old 11-27-2016, 04:48 AM   #28

Oh no! So sorry about the tin tiles. I'm sure they looked great too while they were up!! I hope the solid sheet will go better. Is it hot in the trailer? I wonder if that contributed to the problem if it is? My allergies are going nuts too this year. I go for testing for the first time ever on Dec 15th. I have them year round. But only mild asthma. Keep on truckin', you'll get it just right.
Old 07-15-2023, 06:11 PM   #29

Do you have a manual for your 2006 X139 you could send me?
Wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 12:57 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedProvince View Post
Hi,

After a LOT of research and viewing -- considering Eggs and renovated Scamps, we just bought a 2011 Fun Finder x139 up in Ventura, California. We'd seen an x139 in La Mesa we liked, but it was at a dealer, wasn't quite as nice (was clearly used more) and they were firm with the $12K price.

The Fun Finder x139 had what we were looking for:

1. quality (comparatively)
2. small size (we live in West Los Angeles in a tiny house [by "tiny" I mean in the original sense, not the new hipster kind -- it's a very small house] with a little driveway and only have a 2006 Nissan Frontier)
3. bathroom and shower
4. room for three to sleep (it'll mostly be my husband and me, but we also have a college-age son, who might join us occasionally. We also have two Heelers and a Chihuahua, who will join us, the plan is, all the time)
5. very-good working-condition
6. super clean
7. easy to cosmetically mod

He was originally asking $10,500, and had just bought new propane tanks, new battery, new weight-distributor, had just caulked it, etc. and we got it for $10K. He was the second owner and had it less than a year. All the original paperwork (literally ever piece of paper) was included.

So far:

1. We spent about $400 on the electric and hitch
2. We went to Camping World in La Mirada and bought those little rug covers for the step and
3. a recessed table pipe holder and fixture to attach to the bottom of the table
4. and RV TP, treatment pods
5. We got a small fan (I'm always hot)
6. We hit a bunch of thrift store and are on our way (well, my way) to turn it pseudo "shabby chic." (I got quilts, burner covers, trivet-ish hot pads.
7. Shelves and cabinets are TINY, so got both non-stick rolls and containers (soft and hard) to fit
8. ordered and bought and received, from Amazon, an RV Oxygenics shower
9. we got a bamboo cutting-board to also function as a sink cover and my husband added little rubber "feet" to it

I'm in the process of "fixing it up" to suit us, and have already started making a video. First up: the dinette table and valances (I bought three Waverly valance curtains, new, but at the thrift store, but trying them in the window quickly showed they were too large, so I'm going to upholster the actual valance box with the curtain). The table is just so unwieldy and large.

We have the dream of driving it across country (our son is in school in NY), but even going over the hill from Ventura to L.A. was a bit of a chug for the Frontier. For now, we're going to just try it out at a beach.

We'd love to hear about your caravan -- which model, where you are based, where you've traveled, your favorite and not favorite things about it, etc.

GREAT to virtually "meet" everyone, from very warm and sunny Southern California.
Do you have a manual for your fun finder X139? If so can I have a copy?

Thanks

Wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fun finder, mods, southern california, x139