Old 11-20-2016, 07:48 AM   #11

Not our first. Back in 1990 we sold our house and bought a 32' 1987 Prairie Schooner and an 1989 Ford F-350 one ton turbo diesel and we travel the US from corner to corner for 11 months. We never had an issue with the trailer at all. But we did have the Banks turbo charger installed in Philadelphia at the factory. We realized in Pa that we would need more oomph for out west and we were glad we did it.
Re: changes... it would be nice to have a walk around bed and a bit more floor space. But we do fine with what we have. And that would require a bigger tow vehicle. We are retired.

It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 07:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
Ned --welcome! We have almost the same model, and we love it. Here is a link to our blog about the trailer and the mods:

The LMIC (Look Mom I'm Camping)

And here is a link to our blog about the places we have gone with it:

Look, Mom, We're Camping!

Be sure to ask lots of questions! (Is this your first trailer??)

By the way, you got a very good deal on that trailer!!
Hi!

Yes, this is our first trailer! Well, my husband grew up camping and his parents live half-the-year in a fifth wheel during the warmest months (they have a home in Bullhead City, AZ). But this is his first actual caravan.

As I mentioned here, I've only been camping once, one day, in a Volkswagen van and it was a very unremarkable experience. It was pretty much adjacent to the highway and there was loud truck noise all night, so I'm really excited about the potential!

While I'm doing little things to the FF, my husband took the (phenomenally heavy) table out for me and OMG! The room. It's so nice w/o it, but I know you need it to make the bed. He is looking to make a smaller table (we got the pipe-thingy and attachments at an RV store in La Mirada), and we're looking into alternatives for the section where the table would go to make it a bed. We're thinking wood slats with webbing so it can be stored in the dinette bench, but we'll see.

Looking forward to pouring over your blog! It's exciting you have the same one.

What's the longest you stayed in it?

NedProvince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 07:58 AM   #13

Yes, we have lots of photos in our gallery. Go to the top of the page and you will see a tab called Gallery. Many people have put their photos in albums there, including us. I did make the covers removable by using Velcro closures along one long edge. But the Waverly indoor/outdoor fabric is pretty indestructible and the faux leather doesn't really need laundering, wipes off easily. I didn't like the swoops detail on the original valances so we made new ones. Also removing 10,000 tiny staples from the old valances was not something we wanted to deal with. The covers were a challenge to see until I happened upon a woman's website that made it much simpler to do. The thick material and corners were "interesting" to work with.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:20 AM   #14

Ned --

I made a new table out of Baltic birch plywood -- much lighter than the original, which is MDF and weighs a ton.

And we have stayed for six weeks at a time in the trailer! We spend every September on the road.

My advice is to start slow -- short trips at narby RV parks. Once you learn how the trailer works, you will get more adventurous.

Dan
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 08:36 AM   #15

Agree with profdant139 about starting slow.

Our first 'camping adventure' was at a RV park a mile from home & the second was only about 20 miles from home.

That worked out very well to 'educate' ourselves.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:52 AM   #16

Ned, As you probably already know, there is a wealth of information available on the internet. YouTube can be especially helpful. There are people who just make videos about RV subjects...camping, maintenance, etc. we especially like RVgeeks, Long, Long Honeymoon, RVwithTito, The Willfully Wanderer, RV Education 101, and a couple of others. There are some though that we have rejected early on as click bait. None of them will have your exact brand of RV but the methods used are fairly universal.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:56 PM   #17

Hi,

Dockweiler Beach RV Park is 20 mins. away and we are going to do our inaugural trip there. Our 23rd wedding anniversary is in a couple of weeks so if we get our act together, we'll try there . I have no idea how reservations work, so will have to look into it.

We've been binge watching YouTube RV videos -- the quality varies so much, but they're very interesting, nonetheless.

(dbh-Home Detail)
NedProvince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:26 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedProvince View Post
Hi,

I'm the same way! We went to the Costco outlet and I got a mini-Vornado (this one: Flippi V8 but paid only $14.99 as it was an open-box/return and it works perfectly) which has come in super handy while I'm in there futzing around. It has been queerly warm here -- 90-degrees a couple of days ago! Which FF do you have? What do you like best and what would you change about your FF?

Ned
I have the XT276 Toy Hauler....bought new in the spring of 2012, a special order from the factory. About the only thing I do not like is the front bed layout. I prefer one with access on 3 sides but for size/weight, no such arrangement available.

Other changes:
1. Replaced the factory 12" or 14" TV with a 32" flat screen.
2. Ordered w/convection microwave but never used the convection part.
3. Replaced the straight bath curtain rod for more space when taking a shower....here: https://www.amazon.com/Stromberg-Car.../dp/B0031XXW4O
4. Installed a full length mirror in the bathroom.
5. Installed a 3 bulb light fixture above the bath vanity.
6. Installed a built in water pressure regulator....here: Pressure-Reducing City Water Entry, Wall Mount - Shurflo 183-029-18 - Faucets & Inlets - Camping World This is much simpler than dragging along one that screws onto a hose and always in place if one is forgetful.
7. Made simple 'black out' curtains for the windows as many camp grounds have bright lights as do WalMart parking lots.
8. Added a 120V duplex outlet by the dinnett table.
9. Replaced factory excuse for mattress with regular mattress...couldn't justify price for a Sleep Number.

And probably a few other thing can't think of at the moment.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:27 AM   #19

Ned, bring earplugs to Dockweiler -- it is right under the flight path. Other than that, it is great -- right on the bike path, too!
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 02:41 PM   #20

Oh, we also replaced the maxxair fan with a Fantastic fan with the thermostat and rain sensor. That was a good buy even when it sat in the driveway in the hot sun during the summer. It would cool it down. We have never taken a shower in our FF.
And we never have used the tv.

Tags
fun finder, mods, southern california, x139