Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #1

Default 12 Volt Socket(s)?

Getting to know the new FF 189FDS. We got home at 21:30 last night and were puttering until 01:30 this morning. Back up at 5:00 to get acquainted.

We now understand that there is no AC without an external AC source, hence no TV - no problem. How about 12V sockets (aka cigarette lighter sockets?), are there any hidden anywhere in our new home away from home?

Thanks,

Old 05-29-2011, 07:03 AM   #2

Default 12v sockets

Nope, no 12v sockets in mine anyway. An inverter is required to run 120v appliances off a 12v system. HOWEVER, the FF189 battery will lose charge very quickly if you run more than, say, a laptop from an inverter.

Patient and understanding wife
dlhilliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:00 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply.

We know better than to try to run things off an inverter on a battery, except in an absolute short-term emergency. However, it would be nice to be able to charge phones, laptops, and run a 2nd dreading light at the head of the bed! What were they thinking putting both reading lights on one side of the bed - at the head and foot? Looking for a small nice looking clip-on lamp for my side of the bed...
Old 05-29-2011, 10:03 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply.

We know better than to try to run things off an inverter on a battery, except in an absolute short-term emergency. However, it would be nice to be able to charge phones, laptops, and run a 2nd dreading light at the head of the bed! What were they thinking putting both reading lights on one side of the bed - at the head and foot? Looking for a small nice looking clip-on lamp for my side of the bed...
Old 05-29-2011, 01:32 PM   #5

Default 12 v socket

Obviously, they intended for us to sleep head-to-foot. My wife objects.[img] [/img]
Old 06-09-2011, 07:12 AM   #6
sbb

I had a 12V socket put in above my TV. I also had the radio dvd combo disconnected, it didn't work very well and I didn't like the fact it had the light on all the time using up my battery.

So far my solar panel has done a nice job keeping the battery charged. The next two weekends will be ultimate test of my boondocking. I have practised boondocking in the driveway, and we certainly were doing fantastic over Memorial Day (until our battery disconnect issue). ///i charge phone in car and used 12v for finishing a movie and using a fan if needed.
50 Watt Solar Panel
36 Nights Out 2011
sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #7

Default 12v socket

SBB, what do you use the 12v socket for? The fan? Also, is the solar panel permanently mounted on the roof? Where? I'm thinking about a solar panel for my FF.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #8

I'm planning on adding a 110V outlet at the head end of the bed and installing an un-switched 12V cigarette lighter outlet right next to it. This would permit using a clip-on light of either persuasion when reading in bed, which we do a lot. It would also be a convenient place to recharge phones, which would place a negligible drain on the double marine batteries.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:06 PM   #9
sbb

My previous trailers were a teardrop and T@B, which had 12 volt sockets. I spend about 90 nights a year boondocking for my work. I would use it for dvd player, phone> charge, etc. I like to be somewhat prepared. I have a couple 12 volt appliances.

So far so good with solar panel, 50 watt. it is mounted on roof, on side front over bed/closet area. So far I have been very pleased with it. I like to run fan all night, and I need the battery to last four nights. I have a monitor for panel mounted alongside fridge. In the am it might go down to 12.3, but then in AM it goes back up to 13. 7 or 8. I have the kind of setup that shutsoff so it protects my battery. I am not a techie at all.
50 Watt Solar Panel
36 Nights Out 2011
Old 06-09-2011, 05:53 PM   #10

If you're not a techie, who set you up with the solar rig?
Old 06-09-2011, 06:06 PM   #11
sbb

My awesome dealer, Indian Valley in PA. I know what I want, but they wire and do it. I redecorated it to a Summer Cottage look from original brown, that I can do.
50 Watt Solar Panel
36 Nights Out 2011
Old 06-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #12

Thanks Jerseygirl,
That would be a little far for us to travel for service, we're in Winslow, AZ!
Our nearest dealer is 200 miles away in Phoenix and we don't really know much about him except that he gave us a good deal and has a good business reputation.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:04 PM   #13

Default Re: 12 Volt Socket(s)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQz
Getting to know the new FF 189FDS. We got home at 21:30 last night and were puttering until 01:30 this morning. Back up at 5:00 to get acquainted.

We now understand that there is no AC without an external AC source, hence no TV - no problem. How about 12V sockets (aka cigarette lighter sockets?), are there any hidden anywhere in our new home away from home?

Thanks,
Yes I have one over my TV , AC & DC 2011 189 FDS

Megabusa is offline   Reply With Quote