Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2017, 01:32 PM   #1

Default First Trip In The Books

I just came back from my first trip in my 189FBR. Stayed 6 nights in Independence, MO while I worked in Liberty, MO. Just over 700 miles of towing up & back. First impressions: The trailer towed great. I have a 600/6000 lb E2 WDH on it. Probably overkill for this trailer, but in the storms yesterday, the trailer tracked very well. I have a twin bed size sleeping area where the queen bed was in the front. The twin size was fine, but when I slept on my side, my face was against the front of the trailer. Think I'm going to do a small mod to make it a full size sleeping area so I can get further away from the wall. The bunk cabinet above the bed needs to be cut way back. It will never be used as a bunk and having a bit more open area above my head will make sleeping more pleasant. I made a narrower table for the dinette (easier than making me narrower), but even with that, sitting at the dinette watching TV at night was like sitting at a desk. Need to come up with a more comfortable seating area (can always use TV trays to eat on). The bathroom needs some changing. The toilet was fine for #1 (no #2 in there for us), but the shower is pretty much unusable - it's just too small for my ample figure. I did learn that one must be careful with water pressure - when I first connected to the park's water, I had very little pressure inside. The toilet flushed and the faucets were just a bit more than a trickle. I figured out that I needed to raise the handle on the park's faucet. I did, and what a difference! First flush and the rinse water shot out of the toilet and all over my leg. Lid down for flushing after that! All in all, for a mobile motel room, I was very happy with the adventure, and looking forward to the next one. Here are some pics from this trip. (The Airstream is the "when I grow up" trailer.

Jwh92020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:25 AM   #2

Great report! I recommend a pressure regulator for your water hose -- you can turn on the water in the RV park all the way, and you will not get wet when you flush the toilet.

Please do not ask how I learned this.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:54 AM   #3

I had the regulator on when I first connected the water. Took it off to see if it was the reason the pressure was so low. After I raised the park's faucet handle all the way and took a "toilet shower", I put the regulator back on. I suppose it's all part of the learning curve. Just emptied the trailer, and while I was in there, I removed the upper bunk. It's amazing how much more open it is. Did have 1 minor casualty - the inside ac filter cover fell off. Looks like the 2 push release tabs are done for. Need to find another one.
Jwh92020 is offline   Reply With Quote