Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Club Community Forums > Camping, Road Trips and Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-27-2018, 12:32 PM   #1

Default Getting ready for trip to Sturgis Motorcycle Rally

Once again, getting ready to go to the Black Hills of South Dakota for the 78th Annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.

Sturgis Motorcycle Rally 2018 - Concerts, Music Festival

First attended in 1963 and wow, has it changed over the years. Missed some years in the '70's but yearly since 1981. Always a good time. Meet fellow riders from all over the world .. the UK, France, Germany, Poland, South America, Australia and yes, even Russia.

Also see motorcycles from all over the world and some with crazy modifications. One year, a Sportster plated in 24K gold .. everything but the tires!! A real sight to behold....and an awesome place for "people watching"

The last couple of years, the yuppie crowd hasn't been prevalent with their customized $80,000 'bar bikes.' Met/visited with Jessie James, a popular bike builder a few years back. Never met any of the "jollywood" gang that sometimes are there.

The "big, bad biker gang" appearances have faded although back when quite visible, if you don't hassle them, they won't bother you either.

Since I quit drinking decades ago .... the bar scene holds zero interest and neither do the concerts (if you can call the noise that) which are usually so loud, they can be heard beyond the venue site.

Always lots of vendors too, however, the number of attendees and vendors has decreased since the big one, the 75th anniversary. The 80th anniversary will probably be more crowded again.

Best part is riding the curving roads thru the beautiful Black Hills. A big change for the long, straight highways normally driven.

This year will be going with my 2nd oldest son. Loading both Harley's in the XT276 and spending 5 days at Tillford Gulch Campground... clean and fairly quiet campground have stayed at for past 10+ years.

Looking forward to a grand time once again.

PS: If you will be there, I'll be riding a Harley.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:40 PM   #2

Now I am even more excited with a planned meeting in Deadwood to shake the hand of an American HERO ~ Niles Harris.

You may ask, just who is Niles Harris? Here is his story:

Thanks to a recent association with a now retired Chicago policeman who knows Niles, I will get to spend a little time with this American Hero and feel most honored to do so.

Old 08-01-2018, 05:31 PM   #3

How cool of an opportunity for you! Enjoy the visit and the rally as well! Give us a detailed accounting of both upon your return!
Old 08-10-2018, 02:36 AM   #4

Had a wonderful trip and everything went very well. Everything in the XT276 functioned perfectly as it should and, as usual, it towed like a dream. Two Harleys in the garage and a full tank of fresh water.

Mileage out and back running 65 MPH was 9.6 MPG with some wind to buck so not to bad with minimal interstate highway travel ~ 98% secondary highways.

Lots of motorcycles of all kinds from everywhere including Europe, and other countries. We didn't spent much time in Sturgis, very crowded and traffic was less than desirable, very congested when tens of thousands of bikers, tourists and 'lookie loos' fill a town of under 7,000 population.

Of course, during the time of the Rally, motorcycles are found everywhere throughout the Black Hills from Hot Springs up to Sturgis. There are probably more bikers strung out thru the Hills than in/near Sturgis.

We spent most of our time touring thru the Black Hills .. Iron Mtn road, Crazy Horse, Mt. Rushmore, Custer State Park, Spearfish Canyon etc. etc. etc. and took some lesser used secondary roads haven't traveled before...some dead end into gravel or ?

On this trip, went to Fort Meade and visited the old Fort Meade museum. That was super and very interesting. I learned a few things too. Sturgis got it's name from Col. Sturgis who had been stationed at Ft. Meade. General Custer selected the area for the establishment of Ft. Meade. The museum had a photo of a grizzly bear Custer had shot in the Black Hills ... a really big grizzly too. The displays in the museum cover three floors and the fee is only $5 so well worth seeing if in the area.

I did not see any motorcycles broke down along the roads or highways this time...nor any accidents although I'm certain there were a few.

And, as usual, the weather was unpredictable. Some days were hot, in the 90's and humid, one night was cool (52 degrees) so ran the furnace a bit in the AM to take the chill off. One day was near perfect temperature wise and mostly overcast for great riding weather. And the usual thunderstorms passing thru from time to time but never got wet or had to ride in the rain. Just lucky I guess.

Only saw one Hells Angle member wearing colors.....no Sons of Silence, Bandidos, Mongols, etc. that had been around earlier years. You don't bother them, they don't bother you.

Sadly, was unable to connect up with Jim and Niles which would have been a wonderful thing but maybe next year.

Overall, it was a great time, a great trip with zero negatives and you can't ask for any better than that.