Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Club Community Forums > Camping, Road Trips and Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-03-2018, 01:02 PM   #1

Default Planning Yellowstone trip in 2019

Wanting to start planning our trip to Yellowstone next summer. Plan to meet my brother and his wife there. Any suggestions on where to camp? We would need full hookups and showers. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-03-2018, 01:16 PM   #2

My best advice would be to head over to rv.net and use their archive search function -- there are a lot of discussions on this topic!

The trouble with Yellowstone is that it is so big, and the two lane roads get blocked whenever the drivers see an animal -- a so-called "bear jam" is the result. So you could stay at Fishing Bridge, for example, and other parts of the park would be tough to reach.

We stayed in West Yellowstone at an RV park -- this was in mid-October, and it was very cold, so we needed hookups. Grizzly RV was the name. Nice place, but every part of the park was a bit of a commute from that location.

Will your brother have an RV? If not, that will affect the range of choices.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 02:39 PM   #3

Unfortunately his wife doesn't care for the pop-up camper, which also would hamper our choices! Although I would Love to camp in the park, I don't think it would work. I was looking at Cody or perhaps something near both Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons?
Old 09-03-2018, 07:24 PM   #4

West Yellowstone KOA is where we stayed. 5 minutes drive to the park gate, hookups and they also have cabins for anyone without an RV. Would be my first choice again. Cody Wyoming is more of a drive to the park but has an awesome Outdoor night time Rodeo that is a must see. Their claim to fame is 90 days straight of nightly rodeos. Silverado
Old 09-04-2018, 08:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas newbie View Post
Unfortunately his wife doesn't care for the pop-up camper, which also would hamper our choices! Although I would Love to camp in the park, I don't think it would work. I was looking at Cody or perhaps something near both Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons?
Last time at Yellowstone, 2 years ago, we stayed in Cody.. about 2 blocks from the Cody Museum (BE SURE TO VISIT IT!). A nice park with full hookup here: Ponderosa Campground - Cody, WY - Home

Ponderosa Campground - Cody, WY - RV Park Reviews

Nice campground.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:44 AM   #6

Eagle is right about traffic, millions of visitors each year, go in the shoulder seasons. Was that the Buffalo Bill museum you are talking about ? In Cody. Great museum and great town to visit. Silverado
Old 09-04-2018, 06:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado View Post
Eagle is right about traffic, millions of visitors each year, go in the shoulder seasons. Was that the Buffalo Bill museum you are talking about ? In Cody. Great museum and great town to visit. Silverado
Like you stated, do the shoulder seasons as the Yellowstone gets super busy June, July, August. Before or after is best to avoid the jam packed roads and crowds everywhere. Here are the annual visitation statistics:
https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvis...ationstats.htm

Yes, the Buffalo Bill museum is excellent. I've visited it three times now over the past 30 years. Lots of upgrades and display changes since the first visit. Easy to spend most of a day there.

http://www.irmahotel.com/index.php

Also visit the Irma Hotel in Cody, once owned by Buffalo Bill. Has a fabulous bar/back bar given to him by the Queen of England. Walk thru and look around for free. The rest of it has become a 'tourist tramp' IMO.

If time permits, slip down and see the Grand Tetons and Jackson Hole, Wyo.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:43 PM   #8

In August 2015 we stayed at Fishing Bridge for two nights Don’t think they allow pop ups. Then we went to Colter Bay in the Tetons, they have full hook ups, or another section has boondocking spaces where we stayed. We had a generator, but camp only allowed you to run it for 2 hours in the evening. We loved our visit and didn’t run into any major traffic jams. Previous to that we stayed at North Fork Cody State Park, no hook ups, and I think too far to commute to Yellowstone.
Gerald Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:32 AM   #9

I seem to have read that you can boon dock for free in all national parks? Just as a back up if you have trouble finding a spot one night. But you have to know where the spots are for that as some areas it is not allowed.
dogs_rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:29 PM   #10

Yellowstone campgrounds:

https://rvshare.com/blog/top-10-camp...national-park/

Also, if you have time, drive over to Crow Agency, MT and visit the battleground where Lt. Col. G. Custer was dispatched by the Sioux and Cheyenne American Indians in the Battle of Little Big Horn. https://www.nps.gov/libi/index.htm

It's only 164 miles from Cody, WY.

https://www.distance-cities.com/dist...-mt-to-cody-wy
Old 09-13-2018, 08:27 PM   #11

Thanks for all the info. Will pass along to my bro and see what he says!
Old 10-16-2018, 04:56 PM   #12

Default Yellowstone trip

Spent 7 days in Yellowstone last year. Camped in island park Idaho. and in Cody nCody was 55 miles from the east entrance to Yellowstone. Island park was 16 minutes from the west entrance. We stayed in valley view Rv park. It was much cheaper than the koa which is just up the road. Not real fancy but had full hook ups. Took my Goldwing motorcycle and had a wonderful time riding in the park. This year we spent 7 days riding in glacier national park. Hope to go to Yosemite next year.
Randall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:21 PM   #13

Default Planning Yellowstone trip for 2019

Change of plans...won't be going to Yellowstone next summer due to concerns about our truck. Will keep it on our bucket list and just camp closer to home next summer unless something is decided about the truck😕