Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2017, 03:15 PM   #1

Default Things to do while camping - Metal Detecting

Here is the bulk of the Detecting Thread...

I have considered doing some metal detecting myself. Where I worked, we sold Garrett metal detectors and had many, many happy customers. When golfer Payne Stewart's plane crashed not far away, the Feds purchased a Garrett Metal Detector from us ... a 550 GTAx (if I recall) to search the crash site.

Not many places on interest to search in the Dakotas but a fellow that does it said after getting permission from the owners, search old farm sites. Best is where the outhouse was as coins fell from peoples pockets, under the clothesline and an prominent location visible from the kitchen window if you know where those locations are. Why from the kitchen window, because many buried their cash and the wife worked in the kitchen most of the time so could watch the spot while her husband was working in the fields.

Just what I was told by the fellow that wintered in CA and found jewelry on the beaches. He showed me 3 rings he found/kept. One had a 2.5 caret solitaire diamond in it and the others were well endowed with multiple diamonds, smallest being about 1/3rd caret.
He said in the plains states, searching indian campsites only produce a few rusted knife blades and such. Old homesites produced a some coins but not much else other than rusted scrap metal, horseshoes and the like.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:20 PM #22
Michigantraveler

Ok John, I uploaded a couple of pics of the minie balls on my gallery.
Michigantraveler is offline Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2017, 03:42 PM #21
Michigantraveler

Yes, definitely Civil War. You should see his collection of artifacts. Unbelievably, and he sells nothing. He finds a lot in rivers and streams where he has researched battles and encampments. He is in Maryland near the Virginia border. He is also an amazing teacher. I would probably go for s Garrett Ace 350. But an AT Pro if I was really into it and flush with money. Of course I would want s pointer as well. Lol!! Why not wish for it all??? Haha. Where we live was a huge logging area. I know there are treasures to be found along these many two tracks. You know, dropped pocket knives, coins, tools, rtc. I have never seen anyone detecting around here ever. Then too we have three rivers and many lakes and dtreams within a few miles. Canoeists and kayakers drop a lot of stuff when they capsize. Haha.
But alas, I am poor and have way too many toys already. No funds to get more. But!!! I'm retired!!! Life is good!!
Michigantraveler is offline Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2017, 03:21 PM #20
John_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantraveler View Post
John I read your reply to Eagle with a smile on my face. I loved hearing about your love affair with detecting in the desert and why. I know it must have been hard for you to leave AZ for that reason. I also liked your responsible comment about filling your holes. You remind me of Beau Ouimette (Aquachigger) he detects in the states affected by the Civil War with the same kind of reverence and enthusiasm. I've told you about his YouTube channel before I believe. I recently won an Un-fired mini ball, a fired mini ball and some melted lead on his Patreon channel.
Congratulations Mich...
Was it a Civil War minie-ball... You can often date and determine North or South by the type, size, number, and spacing of the rings/grooves in them... A Google search on the Mini-Ball or Minie-Ball may help you... Here is one interesting site:
Minie Ball | HistoryNet

Yes, it was difficult to leave two of my kids and the desert... I grew up in a very small town in Southern AZ and even went to a 2-room elementary school and the town still has a population of maybe 500...

I never liked the heat and crime of Phoenix and Tucson, but that was where the jobs were... and was looking for another place to move, but did not expect to move almost 2,000 miles!!

The Boss promised "To Let" me travel back each year, and even though we still get in a discussion every year about it, I am still able to make the trip...

You need to get a detector (There a couple models that are submersible) and see what lies around the places you travel... CHECK The Laws Before Breaking Out The Detector as There Are A Lot Of Laws Stating If, Where, And What.. There were a lot of old mines and towns in Michigan and the upper Mid-West, some of them date way back, if you get there before the weeds grow too high AND there are no restriction on metal detecting, you may find some more old stuff to go with your Minie-Ball...
2008 CruiserRV FunFinder Xtra XT-190 Toy Hauler
John_C is online now Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2017, 02:26 PM #19
Michigantraveler

John I read your reply to Eagle with a smile on my face. I loved hearing about your love affair with detecting in the desert and why. I know it must have been hard for you to leave AZ for that reason. I also liked your responsible comment about filling your holes. You remind me of Beau Ouimette (Aquachigger) he detects in the states affected by the Civil War with the same kind of reverence and enthusiasm. I've told you about his YouTube channel before I believe. I recently won an Un-fired mini ball, a fired mini ball and some melted lead on his Patreon channel.

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:37 PM   #2

Nice Minnie-Balls Mich...
I really enjoy prospecting, metal detecting, photography, as just being lazy while camping...

I make several trips a year with the first three of the above first in mind and of those trips, I tow my XT190-Xtra in excess of 5,000 miles a year...

I originally picked this trailer because it was used, came through a dealer which gave me a bit of reassurance in my buy, I could easily pull it with a 1/2 ton pick-up, AND it would haul a smallish ATV for my prospecting trips...

This spring, I'll head out of MN towards AZ... I have planned 3 overnight stops on the way (Hopefully one will include meeting two FF owners in Kansas), but that sometimes changes... I will probably camp in at least 3 places in AZ, one is the Escapees Congress, AZ RV Park... It is the closest spot, with full hook-ups, that I can find within a decent access distance to a several mining claims that I can prospect on... One of the other places is in a small town close to the AZ/MEX border that is within a few miles of a couple other areas that are known for their gold and I also have access to... I just don't know what facilities are available; I checked on line, but reviews don't give me a very warm feeling... And who knows where the road takes me coming home....
I have two different detectors and by having a trailer that can access these areas for up to about a week while dry camping, if I am a bit careful with the water, gas, and elec... I upgraded from the little group 24 battery to 2 group 31 deep cycles... With all that said, it is nice to be able to come back to camp after a day in the field, kick your boots off, plug on you detector batteries to charge, and relax with your favorite beverage while supper cooks on the grill...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:48 PM   #3

Nice move into a new thread John.

I'd like to hear more from those who metal detect please.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:43 AM   #4
APD

Talking

I have a cheap little detector I received as a gift that I enjoy from time to time. The public civil war sites are all protected around here but there is a lot left to find scattered in the north Georgia woods.
Old home places, around old barns, etc...y'all know the places. My real discovery was that you don't need a mega-dollar machine to have a lot of fun.
I have an impressive collection of pop tops and bottle caps. I enjoyed digging up every one of 'em. OH, and quite a few coins, old tools and other things as well.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:11 AM   #5

I must admit I've only used a metal detector twice.

One time to find a man hole access cover that had been buried under about a foot of dirt for well over 20 some years.

The second was to find the property pins where I live.

Both times with success so thought about delving into it and getting a Garrett detector.