Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2017, 07:48 PM   #1

Default Visited our first registered campsite today

We went to check it out. Great site on a bluff above Tippy Dam Pond just a mile as the crow flies north of us. But the river makes us drive a bit farther. The site is right next to a stairs going down to a dock. There is a boat launch so we may bring our boat or kayaks. People fish for steelhead and salmon here below the dam...big fish. This is rustic...vault toilets and pump water if you need it. We do have great water up here but we won't need theirs. Well just camp two nights and enjoy the hiking trails and river. Close to home but still an adventure.
Photos in my gallery.
http://www.funfinderclub.com/forums/...picture542.jpg

It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:56 PM   #2

Looks great! I'm so jealous, we don't have anything like it near us. When we go to South Dakota in June, will try to post pics of our campground.

Old 03-17-2017, 03:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas newbie View Post
Looks great! I'm so jealous, we don't have anything like it near us. When we go to South Dakota in June, will try to post pics of our campground.
Are you in northern Kansas? It looks like Kansas does have a good amount of government camping but maybe not near you? And many State and Federal sites don't have hookups. Not everyone's choice of place. But $13/nite for a couple of nights is doable for us until we get more off grid stuff.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:36 AM   #4

The Tippy Dam backwaters and Manistee River. The colored segments are the North Country Scenic Trail.

http://www.funfinderclub.com/forums/...picture559.gif
Old 03-17-2017, 04:50 PM   #5

We are close to Manhattan, aka "the little apple" and there is a state lake ran by corps of engineers...however, not " scenic " . There are some others close by, but we prefer full hookups and no backing in. "Picky", I know. I guess we like comfort and scenic and stuff like that. We are starting our "camping" life a little late in life...but, still enjoy it!
Old 03-17-2017, 07:07 PM   #6

Quote:
We are close to Manhattan, aka "the little apple" and there is a state lake ran by corps of engineers...however, not " scenic " . There are some others close by, but we prefer full hookups and no backing in. "Picky", I know. I guess we like comfort and scenic and stuff like that. We are starting our "camping" life a little late in life...but, still enjoy it!
I understand. I really like a shower everyday. I feel foggy if I don't get one. We haven't used full hookups yet with this trailer. Camped where they had showers. It would be nice to have water so we wouldn't have to hear that darned pump. I guess an accumulator might help. But not putting more money into this rig. Looking for something bigger so we can take our 3 dogs and two cats with us.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:12 AM   #7

I haven't used the shower in the rig, DH did once, but he couldn't move much and had to put is head where skylight is in order to stand up straight! Needless to say, we also stay where there are showers! I
Old 03-18-2017, 08:08 AM   #8

Quote:
I haven't used the shower in the rig, DH did once, but he couldn't move much and had to put is head where skylight is in order to stand up straight! Needless to say, we also stay where there are showers! I
Oh no! That would not be good. It's just way too tiny in there. I love the tiny camper because it's cute and easy to pull and park. It fits in the tiniest sites. But I think we'll be getting something a bit bigger in the not too distant future. We looked at one yesterday.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:51 AM   #9

I just six reservations for our 10 night camping trip to the Upper Peninsula (Michigan) in September. Most are State Parks, one has no showers (!!!), one is a site from Boondockers Welcome, and one is a private campground. We planned a ten day trip last September but health concerns caused us to cancel all the reservations. We're excited to reschedule. Paul has three cousins up there. Has anyone else made plans? I know Kansas newbie plans on South Dakota and John wants to explore Minnesota.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:04 PM   #10
APD

Talking

Quote:
but we prefer full hookups and no backing in.
We always go for full hookup as well but we prefer the back-in sites. Most places we have been, the shadiest most "out-of-the-way" sites are the back-ins. With our rig being so small we can snuggle in all the way into the back of the site, pull out the awning and still have room for our 10x10 EZ-Up.

We spend most of the time outside so having lots of room with good cover is important.
Mich, we're heading off very soon on a short trip to the north Georgia mountains, then early next month to South Carolina for a few days and then over to Alabama to link up with friends.
Going hit Florida as soon as it gets hot enough to run off all the snowbirds.....

Alan
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:48 PM   #11

"We spend most of the time outside so having lots of room with good cover is important.
Mich, we're heading off very soon on a short trip to the north Georgia mountains, then early next month to South Carolina for a few days and then over to Alabama to link up with friends.
Going hit Florida as soon as it gets hot enough to run off all the snowbirds.....
Alan"
Good to plan ahead if possible. All those snowbirds run up here to northern Michigan. I find that reserving online I can see the maps of the Campgrounds and pick a good site. Our Michigan state sites have pictures of the sites too. I try to get sites where you only have one neighbor. Near the lake if possible if the campground is on a lake. I usually drive to the showers early in the am before anyone else is up. Then the showers are cleaner and drier and no waiting.