Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2007, 08:20 AM   #1

Default Bike rack?

What are the options for a bike rack? I want to carry 2 bikes with me and I do not want them on the top of my SUV. I have seen both the type that go on the back of the travel trailer and ones over the hitch. What do people use? Are there recommendations from Shadow Cruiser? I have an older 139, if that makes any difference.

hopscotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 08:49 AM   #2

I believe the bike rack is an option on most Fun Finders. Can you check with your dealer?

funny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 06:43 PM   #3

Hopscotch, I'm curious about a bike rack as well and wondered if you've gotten one?
I also have the Shadow Cruiser T-139 and noticed that the frame is not really that big for mounting a rear receiver and there is not much room between the rear bumper of my Jeep and the trailer to allow a couple of bikes in there.
Harlow....
excella31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:48 PM   #4

Default Bike rack for back of 189 FBR

I rigged one from an old car trunk mounted rack and some metal conduit.
I supported it at FBR frame with two tubes bolted on with nylon insert
nuts to resist vibration loosening. The bottom of the conduit support,
inverted U shape, slips into the two tubes and is fastened in with cotter
pins. the bike rack is fastened to the top of the U and hooks over the tire
secured by two straps bolted to the tire bolts holding the spare behind
it. The upper portion of the rack is also used to carry a portable waste water tank which then rests on top of the back portion of the rack between
the vertical portion of the conduit and the trailer. It's all quiet secure.
I used the same system for over 20,000 miles on a Scamp before
adapting it to the 189 FBR -- 14,000 and counting. When not carrying
bikes, I sometimes carry a small outboard and gas can there as well.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:09 AM   #5

Default Bike Rack

I asked for the bike rack option on my X160 - it carries three bikes - I would suggest you go to your dealership, they can order and install it for you.
'96 Weimaraner
'02 German Shorthaired Pointer
freddiex160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:29 PM   #6

Hi Freddie

so how much did it end up costing to installing the bike rack hitch and rack itself? was looking into it and when i called up Cruiser RV they say to call Lippert Hitch to purchase the hitch from them to install

thanks
achan63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:54 PM   #7

Default FF139 hitch

HI there;
I have a FF189FBR 2005, it came with a hitch receiver & bike rack....but from the start w/o bikes in the carrier it would "drop" after driving. I kept having my dealer check it, they said it was fine, but turned out it was actually "missing" some of the bolts that should have been holding the hitch in place, needless to say after a final check and confirmation I put two brand new bikes on the 3 bike holder and went on a trip, arms waving and horns honking on the highway, I pulled over to find the bikes dragging on the ground! The dealer had a new receiver hitch welded on to the frame for me and RV Cruiser sent me a check to cover the repairs, as well as, replacing the one bike that was un repairable. Knowing the hitch was a tight and a difficult fit on my trailer, impossible to get a persons hand to a couple of the bolting areas, you may want to check into the bike rack that fits over the spare tire. Also, you will not be able to use a solid color bike cover to shield bikes from rain, dirt, mud, etc. unless your taking childrens bikes, adult bikes are so long that a cover will block the view of your brake lights! Another way I have seen people tote bikes is to have them hang upright on a ladder, but before installing a ladder on the back of the Fun Finder, ask some owners if they have done so and how it has worked out for them, I believe the manufacturer began to install ladders, then stopped. It would be important to find out if they stopped because of any failures in performance. Keep us posted.
Kampnsfun
Kampnsfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:54 AM   #8

I just took delivery on an 09 189FBR with the bike rack option. It is a 1-1/4" receiver welded to the rear frame and comes with an adapter to fit the 2" insert on the rack itself. The rack will hold two bikes, with a bracket for the tires and two inverted J clamps for the frame. Easy to move back & forth between the trailer and truck and seems to hold the bikes firmly.
Monroe Sensa-Trac Load adjusting rear shocks
Reese Pro Series Weight Distribution/SC Hitch
Voyager Brake Controller
rmacera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:04 PM   #9

Default Bike Racks

DO NOT PUT BIKE RACK OVER REAR SPARE. I checked with the factory and was told the spare tire holder is suitable for one tire and wheel and nothing else.
flugelboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:05 PM   #10

Default bike rack

I am having the same concerns mounting a bike rack on a Cikira 18CCB. In my research I have found a dual hitch available from Northern Tool. The 4000-lb. capacity dual hitch extension comes with two 2in. receivers, lower tube with collar for towing and upper tube for accessories.
This system will mean that tongue weight is not decreased.

I have seen another system made by an outfit in Quebec Canada. It consisted of a adjustable frame that mounts to the front trailer frame (forks) and rises over the propane tanks. The bike rack is mounted into a 2" receiver over the tanks.This system would increase the tongue weight. Unfortunatley I cannot find the system on the internet, I saw it in an RV dealership.

G Bonesteel
2007 Cikira CCB
2008 GMC Envoy
gbonesteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:37 PM   #11

http://www.toppoprails.com/Traveltrailer.htm

Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH
Proudcanuck75 is offline   Reply With Quote