Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #1

Default lots of water damage in ceiling

Hey I need help. I'm rehabbing a 2003 funfinder and found the ceiling has lots of water damage. I can press on the wood on (top of the walls but still part of the roof) and squeeze water out of it. There is white stirofoam in the roof also I and I have no clue on how to fix this with out tearing off the whole roof and starting from scracth. Please help Im gonna try to tackle this project this weekend and could use all of the advice I could get. The majority of the damage is in the back but also have some in front too. Ill post a pic of the passenger rear corner. Everything you see that is a blackish color is basically soaked.

looking4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #2

Default Yikes

I sure hope you got a good deal on that trailer. Replacing the stuff underneath is not going to fix the problem -- there is a leak up top. You might need a whole new roof. Alternatively, you could have someone move a trickling garden hose over various places on the roof (seams, the a/c, the antenna) and see if you can pinpoint the source of the leak.

Then, once you find it, good luck sealing it. Assuming you don't do a whole new roof, most folks swear by Eternabond. I have never had to use it -- so far.

Let us know how it goes!!

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:36 PM   #3

From pulling the inside apart I can tell its coming from the back seam where the rubber roof meets the aluminum siding. I looked up top when I got it and saw some spot that i knew water could get in. So I siliconed them in hope to stop more water from getting in, but the damage seems to already been done. I might switch to 18ga aluminum roof instead of the rubber again. Trying to figure out where I could get a single piece of 8'x16' aluminum. I wanted a project trailer and that is what I got. Just didnt know it was going to be this much of a project. Once the roof is fixed I need to tackle replacing the floor. At least I have a plan in place for the floor. I'm rolling the dice on how to do the roof.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #4

Well I peeled up the rubber roof and found that all the wood underneath is wet/rotting. So I decided Im going to replace the entire roof and Im going to be making it an aluminum roof instead of the rubber. I'm going to frame it out (since there was no framing) install plywood and cover it with aluminum. The place I buy metal from is trying to find a place that can get me one sheet of 8'x14' aluminum instead of piecing multiple sheets together.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #5

At least now you can build it to your tastes. We will never buy a trailer with a flat roof. It is asking for problems IOHO. Slightly rounded, "crowned" makes the most sense. Many manufacturers are doing away with the flat roofs. Storing it on a slight angle too.
mooneybeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooneybeem
At least now you can build it to your tastes. We will never buy a trailer with a flat roof. It is asking for problems IOHO. Slightly rounded, "crowned" makes the most sense. Many manufacturers are doing away with the flat roofs. Storing it on a slight angle too.
The roof is going to end up flat again. I would make a bow to it but getting everything to fit right is beyond my patience. I did find a place were I can get my aluminum roof in one solid piece. One guy at my job suggested this truck and trailer repair shop and they have a 800' roll of aluminum sheet metal that they can cut to the length that I need. So I am feeling alot more confident about my roof overhaul now that I wont have a bunch of seems. I might even get a second sheet and make a belly pan to protect the floor.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #7

Can't wait to see pics as you move along in the project!
Old 07-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #8

A little off topic from the roof but does anybody know how to get the fridge out of the trailer???? It is to big to go through the door and I'm not sure how to get it out. I would take it out of the now missing roof but I don't have another strong body available to help take it out.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #9

If it won't fit out of the door, you may have to resort to taking it out through a window. Windows are easy to remove and with your project, you might as well remove all of them and re-install for recaulking anyway...no point in doing half a job and some of your floor issues may actually be window issues as well.

Good luck, you've opened up quite a can of worms and it should keep you "off the streets" for a while!!! Nothing that is insurmountable, but, still a lot of work.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by webslave
If it won't fit out of the door, you may have to resort to taking it out through a window. Windows are easy to remove and with your project, you might as well remove all of them and re-install for recaulking anyway...no point in doing half a job and some of your floor issues may actually be window issues as well.

Good luck, you've opened up quite a can of worms and it should keep you "off the streets" for a while!!! Nothing that is insurmountable, but, still a lot of work.
Well I measured and it wont fit out the windows either. I did find out if you remover the camper door and frame it is just big enough to squeeze it out. I do plan on removing the windows to reseal them also. I know 2 are definitely leaking. I hope to take it camping this fall, but the rain is making that hard (especially when you don't have a roof). I also decided to buy 4 5000lb scissors stabilizing jacks. They should make it easier to level out the camper when parked.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #11

I admire your determination and foresight taking on your project.

I may have tried that 35 years ago myself ~ used to buy/referb and resell older cars.....and made some $$ doing it.

As the years passed, I found unless for personal use, the time and expense could not be justified.

Wishing you the best in your venture.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #12

One word of warning... Stabilizer jacks, no matter what their rating, are not intended for "leveling". You'll torque the frame trying to use them for leveling and you'll break all the sealant down the sides, along the roof and even the windows doing it. Your "box" is not designed to be torqued by lifting at the corners, the frame isn't stiff enough; it actually "bows" when it is built and then straightens up when the weight settles over the axles.

Leveling is done under the wheels and with the tongue jack; "stabilizing" (decreasing shaking) is done with the stabilizer jacks at the corners.

Just a warning...and that may be part of the reason for all the water damage in your pictures; the previous owner may have "leveled" with those jacks.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #13

Ok made a decent amount of head way in my repairs. Its getting a lot more in depth then I though it was going to be but I got to take the good with the bad I guess. Here are some pictures of my progress.

Putting the wife to work! Once I showed her how to use the saw it was her job to measure and cut the wood. next to her you can see the roll of aluminum that I plan to use for my new roof.

The whole floor is replace now but these are the only pictures of replacing the floor that I have at the moment. There are a bunch more pics on my wife's camera.

Part of the new floor.

Bad wood!

Replace bad wood with new wood.

Repeat on other side

There is no window in the front so we decided to make a simple frame for the front. We have gotten a lot further in the repairs so there will be more pictures to come! They just aren't on the computer right now.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #14

Default A few pics off my phone

This wall was totally removed to replace some water damaged framing. While the wall was gone we replaced the rest of the floor.

Now that there is no more water damaged wood I can start putting it back together. After a few hours I was able to get the siding back on this side and the back.

And the last thing I did that day was to start rebuilding my roof.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #15

Default re: lots of water damage in ceiling

looking4fun you are doing an awesome job. Well done. It's fun and inspiring to watch your progress
Old 08-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #16

Nice progress.

I trust you are keeping track of the material cost and man hours (you and your wifes') involved thru this project.

The total time and material cost, when completed, measured against a comparable unit in excellent condition would be interesting.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #17

Wow this trailer can really push your nerves. I cut everything to the exact length that the old wood was, and just when I think I'm getting the upper hand on this project it throws me a total curve ball. I wanted to get a lot done this weekend and it just seemed like I was adjusting, tweaking, and trying to make things (that are to far along to be changed) work. My plan for the weekend was finish the roof, install all the siding, and install/reseal everything that goes through the siding.
Now for what I actually got done this weekend. Almost all the siding is back on. The driver side is all on, the rear and the passenger side just need the bottom pieces put on, and the front only has my bubble wrap insulation.
Another of my leaps and bounds for this week end is the aluminum roof is on! I got it up on the roof and put some screws in it to hold it in place. After that was done I proceeded to cut and bend the edges. OMG I never thought it would be so hard to make .040 thick aluminum bend. I spent most of the day trying to bend roughly 34ft of metal. I am a pretty strong guy and have plenty of weight behind me and this part of the of the rebuild kicked my butt I am totally exhausted now. I'm going back tomorrow morning to try and get some more done before work in the afternoon. I will post picture once I get them on the computer.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:50 PM   #18

I do hope you remember to install ALL of the larger interior items BEFORE the outside is fully enclosed and sealed.

The door and window openings are only so large!!

Here are some videos of their construction in their factory:

Part 1:
Part 2:

Part 3:
Part 4:
Old 08-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle
I do hope you remember to install ALL of the larger interior items BEFORE the outside is fully enclosed and sealed.

Well the only item that I was not able to get out the door (while it was installed) was the refrigerator. And according to my wife it's not camping if you use a refrigerator. So we sold the fridge and will be using a cooler like we always had done before and put the money back into parts for the camper. Im redesigning some of the interior so everything will be built inside the camper.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:40 AM   #20

Funny to see the Austrailian versions of the Funfinders in the videos you gave links to. The door is on the opposite side as is the slides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle

Here are some videos of their construction in their factory:

Part 1:
Part 2:

Part 3:
Part 4: