Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2014, 06:19 AM   #1

Default Oh God - What did we get ourselves into?!?!

When we picked up our 2014 XTRA 275 last week, we found a few manufacturing issues that the dealer took care of for us (door jamb not drilled for handle plunger, wiring for control panel [under kitchen sink] was a rat's nest, cracked shower faucet). Well, the problems didn't stop there

On the way home, we filled up the fuel station and hubby noticed that the fuel gauge wasn't working. Once we got it parked at the house, we also noticed that the door release button on the convection microwave was sticking. And yesterday, while troubleshooting the fuel station issue, hubby found the following issues:

From his e-mail to me:
So.. I have good news.. and some not so good news

Good First..

The Fuel Station is working!!!
Bad news: It took me forever to figure out what was wrong. I checked the power coming in (Zero Volts) So I saw the the wire was white and yellow. and a White and yellow wire was coming up to the junction box up front.

I opened up that box and found a jumble of wires all tied together with a huge wire-nut One set positive and one set negative. The yellow/white wire was not making a good connection. So I fixed all that. Still no pump.

So Because the underbelly is all covered I couldn't trace the wire very far. So I decided to check the power panel since the cover was missing when we first looked at it. I didn't see anything on the front so I took off the cover. All looked good except some trash left in the bottom. screws/wood/wire-nuts...
So I removed the whole panel and pulled it out to try and see if I could see a White/Yellow wire. The behind was very jumbled with wires. But I found wire that was white/yellow and it had never been connected. It was short and didn't reach the panel. So I did a continuity check on it and what do you know.. It was the power wire for the fuel station. I was able to pull it out some and then attach a jumper lead to the Positive side and wire it into the 12V side of the power panel. Wala! fuel station works.

But.. I noticed a plumbing line just hanging and not connected to anything. I could not see where it should go So I first thought that it was being used as a vent or something... But then I started looking at the plumbing in the bathroom.. I saw a fitting that wasn't capped and it looked to be going outside. Upon further inspection it was the Sewer clean-out spout. The inside part is not connected to anything. If we would have used it it would have sprayed water all under the bathroom sink.

This is still not fixed because I need to drill a hole through the right hand panel to feed the loose hose through.

Next thing I do is start checking everything, lights, fans, whatever is electric. I found that the fan in the Garage isn't coming on. I don't think its getting power. This wiring is run in the ceiling and I don't know where it goes. I may be able to track it down but I was tired of working on it. I wish Leo's (the dealer we purchased from) was closer and I would just take it back and have them fix it. I still may do that if I can't easily find the problem. Also we should call about the microwave button sticking. They may send us out a replacement.

Things I haven't checked. Any plumbing due to the winterized system. Before I do though I want to fix that line and also check under the bed to make sure all valves are set proper and the Hotwater tank needs its plug put back in.

Second thing to check. The Fridge. We don't know if it is working ok as it needs to stay on overnight and then see.

The AC and Heat seem to work fine.

I'm almost afraid to use this unit now! The wiring issues really scare me - are there any building/safety codes similar to residential dwellings? And plumbing not being connected?!?!?! This has got to be the worst example of craftsmanship I've seen in anything I've purchased. Quality control seems to be non-existant! So much for "made in America" being superior. It's utterly embarrassing!

You can bet I'll be contacting the dealer tomorrow (or Tuesday, since I'll be at work all day tomorrow)! Cruiser will be getting a "strongly worded" letter from me as well.

So far, it definitely is NOT worth the retail price of $44k!!!!!

Signed,
Disgruntled and Dissappointed

2014 Honda Goldwing (hers)
2012 Honda CRF250 (his)
2010 BMW R1200GS (his)
2008 BMW K1200GT (ours)
The Moons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:22 AM   #2

I'm wishing now hubby would have taken pictures of all the issues. We certainly will be doing so in the future!

2014 Honda Goldwing (hers)
2012 Honda CRF250 (his)
2010 BMW R1200GS (his)
2008 BMW K1200GT (ours)
The Moons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:03 AM   #3

That must be very disappointing for you. Luckily it sounds like your husband knows what he is doing. Take a lot of pictures and document your time and costs. You could ask the dealer and or Cruiser to reimburse you. I think it would be an uphill battle, but if you don't ask...
Kafn8td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:06 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to shadow

I had a lot of issue with a Lance camper that was just days old, I filed a complaint with the Arizona AG, consumer complaint and copied the dealer since he was listed on the complaint. I had all my money back within 48 hours, bought the 189FDS which I have had only one issue with A/C was not working they tested it for amp draw, they said no issue, turns out the "tech" was not testing properly. I tested it and found it was drawing 40 amps...so plan B was run till it toasts..didn't take, dometic replaced free of charge.

So
1) file consumer complaint with AG against mfg and dealer, dealer should have tested every system and I bet you have a check list that claims they did, smoking gun 1. You have the issues you found, take pics and document smoking gun 2
2) take it back to the dealer and give it back and tell them test and check every function and hardware system in the trailer...still file the complaint
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:10 AM   #5

Also, you will find that most of these RV "technicians" are absolute idiots. Learn the basics of plumping, a/c, d/c electrical and your already more qualified than 90% of those turkeys
Old 03-09-2014, 11:45 AM   #6
roy

Welcome to the world of shoddy work better known as Cruiser RV inc. get used to it as it won't stop there. I have been fixing things and doing them right going on 2 years now on a XT276. Nature of the beast with this product. One call to them and you'll be left with that sinking ship feeling. Very poorly run company from the top down. I could fill the band width on here with issues with ours.

Some here boast about their units and tell how wonderful they are. They must never leave the driveway in them because mine breaks or stops working in the driveway. I don't think its an isolated incident just to me. We have out close to 15k on this thing in two years and if I wasn't a good common sense repair type guy it would literally have stayed in the repair shop. 99% of all issues are 100% related to piss poor build quality and shoddy workmanship. Some is so laughable you ask yourself "and that guy let that go out the door with his name on it?". Really unexcusable IMO.

Will we keep this thing might as well since it's paid for but honestly its a never ending project in my eyes.

All I can add is good luck in your adventure with this thing.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:45 PM   #7

Steady, mine certainly is no garage queen, read around a vast, vast majority of TT have their issues. I won't argue Cruiser RV is certainly not a premier mfg. We have well over 20k on ours and have had what I consider normal wear and tear, they are ultra-lite trailers so some s**t does break. You do need to learn how to work on these things regardless of brand, as I pointed out earlier most rv techs are pretty low caliber. I went through mine two years ago and just fixed anything that even looked dubious, cleaned up the wiring and connections, replaced certain items with better quality items, didn't spend a huge amount, under $1500 but I think that is what has kept me out of the dog house with breakage. Every season you should go through these things with a fine tooth comb, check everything! and fix anything that even looks a bit out of place, this will save you headaches during the season.

ALL TT have issues, guess what so do trains, planes and GM's sorry couldn't help it!

File a complaint with the AG, I was amazed how quickly AZ responded on my Lance Trailer issue.

Good luck with the repairs, take time to check everything else as you go along in the end either you'll get some legal result or you.ll have a trailer that is road worthy and you know it inside and out
Old 03-09-2014, 02:35 PM   #8

Default 2008 X-160

From Tennessee, my little Fun Finder has been to (separate trips) Glacier/Waterton, Grand Canyon, Alaska (Fairbanks), southern tip of Baja, Mexico, and many smaller trips in between. Have had so few issues that I can't even recall but one - leak in front window. Fixed under warranty.

I have loved my little Fun Finder and that's the reason I have a new 189FDS on order.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:18 PM   #9

WOW!! We are about to order a F214WSD but after some of the posts the last month or so we are beginning to wonder if its a good idea. We really like the floor plan and hate to start shopping again.
Other rv forums seem to have very little info on Cruiser RVs so it's been hard to get a real read on the units.
Michelle I wonder if the quality has gone down since 2008... It seems the folks with the older Funfinders have fewer problems. We are definitely going to do more research before pulling the trigger.
Rvnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:38 PM   #10

People are far more likely to complain on a forum than give praise, so take it as you want. I found a great dealer with very knowledgeable technicians.
Hobie i9s kayak
Kafn8td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvnewbie
WOW!! We are about to order a F214WSD but after some of the posts the last month or so we are beginning to wonder if its a good idea.
The research will find issues with any brand TT. Paying a significant amount more for a "premiere" brand won't guarantee it will be trouble free. Order the 214WSD, make sure everything works when you take delivery, and you know how everything works yourself before you drive away. You won't find a better TT for the money than a 214WSD.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:11 AM   #12
roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafn8td
People are far more likely to complain on a forum than give praise, so take it as you want. I found a great dealer with very knowledgeable technicians.
Trust me I would praise it if I could but that's just not going to happen.

I drive Toyotas so I guess my quality standards are a little to high for the RV world.

WERA Expert #826
Old 03-10-2014, 10:20 AM   #13

Default Have you called Cruiser??

First, the concerns expressed by Mr. and Mrs. Moon are very significant – there is no excuse for the unconnected wire or the unconnected rinse hose. Cruiser’s quality control people should be alerted. All of those systems should have been checked at the factory before the unit was shipped to a dealership. I also live far from a dealership (an hour away), and it is a real hassle to go back to the dealership for warranty issues.

Second, I am on my second Fun Finder, and we have towed each of them for many thousands of miles (some of them rather rough miles). I am quite happy with the quality of this unit. But I do not think that Cruiser makes perfect RVs – every manufacturer has some quality control problems. Based on anecdotal evidence, my guess is that Airstream and Casita are the best of the bunch. Unlike my Toyota truck, RVs are not made by robots on an assembly line, so they are far from perfect.

For those people who are considering buying a Cruiser product, I would not shy away based on scattered reports of poor workmanship. Remember that the satisfied customers rarely post. However, it is still a really good idea to go over the entire RV carefully, prior to taking delivery. That’s a hassle, but it’s a reality. I’m not saying that the Moons should have detected these problems in advance – that’s not realistic. But many problems can be detected upon final inspection.

The other thing to know is that Cruiser has been very good about responding to inquiries and complaints, in my experience. They are understandably concerned about their reputation, and they will do whatever it takes to make things right. I would advise the Moons to be persistent and to hang in there!!
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:38 PM   #14
roy

I would like to add that on my factory check list by the Cruiser QC personnel most of the items they checked as passed are the very ones that have failed and upon closer inspection by me were never assembled right to begin with. Their QC is terrible. It doesn't take a trained eye to spot the most basic of screw ups which are plenty in my unit. All of which end up causing a failure or never work more than once. I went through this thing front to back before taking it home. Once home stuff started not working or work once then break. That's when I discover the shoddy workmanship. I'm not after Cruiser solely and I do realize the industry as a whole has quality issues. But I do think from what I have seen in my Cruiser unit these numerous issues are deemed unacceptable to me.

WERA Expert #826
Old 03-10-2014, 01:48 PM   #15

Man, Roy - I am so glad you seem to be in the minority of Fun Finder owners. Consistent shoddy workmanship like you've experienced can put a company out of business.

Sorry you appear to have gotten a "lemon"...
Old 03-10-2014, 02:03 PM   #16

rvnewbie-- We purchased a 214wsd just about this time last year. We have over 4,000 miles on our unit. In this time, not one item has gone wrong. Everything worked perfect. No screws loose ,doors falling off. Even the tires still look new. And it tows great.
The Fun Finders that seem to be having problems appear to be the toy haulers. Could be hauling to many toys? For the money, you will love your 214 wsd.
equalizer
P2
jerkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:37 PM   #17
roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerkar
rvnewbie-- We purchased a 214wsd just about this time last year. We have over 4,000 miles on our unit. In this time, not one item has gone wrong. Everything worked perfect. No screws loose ,doors falling off. Even the tires still look new. And it tows great.
The Fun Finders that seem to be having problems appear to be the toy haulers. Could be hauling to many toys? For the money, you will love your 214 wsd.
Nope I am well with in the vehicles gross weight and it was having problems with nothing in it.

WERA Expert #826
Old 03-10-2014, 10:53 PM   #18

Default Well I am in the lemon boat too I guess !!!

I am with Roy on this one also , I also have a xt-276 toy hauler and there is no workman ship in this thing . I have a list of things that were wrong after getting this home and taking a few trips with it . Trust me I am not one to complain at all but this is a sad put together box on wheels . It's late tonight and I got to get up early , but I will get my list of things I have went threw in the next day or 2 , yea it's not built anything my toyota , and to be fair the whole rv industry should have codes building these things , houses do for a reason , to keep the jack legs from building junk !!!!
Old 03-11-2014, 09:00 AM   #19

securityman-visit some of the other RV forums and see some of the 3-4 hundred thousand class A rv's that are having problems. A not regulated industry.
equalizer
P2
jerkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:14 PM   #20

Thanks rip5, jerkar and profdant139 we have been looking at other rv specific forums and you are right most all brands have problems. I have owned boats for 40 years and even the best of them had issues. We own two boats now and we just sold one to try rving. I thought an rv might not be as much work as a boat... but I always need something to occupy my time when not at work!
We are driving 2 hours each way this weekend to look at our short list the F-214WSD and the F-233RBS.

Rvnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote