Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2014, 06:35 AM   #1

Default 2014/2015 Chassis Height ?

Looking at the new FunFinder travel trailers, it seems that the frames are much higher. Is there new standards for TT frame height? Not that I am complaining, The increased ground clearence is a good thing.

LEWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:56 AM   #2

I don't know if there are any standards for height, let alone new ones. What I do know is that the Fun Finder sits well above where our previous TT did and that's one of the things I like most about it. Our previous TT had the waste tanks discharge port very low to the ground. The majority of sewer hook-ups we found actually stuck up above the ground higher than the trailer outlet so it was always hard to get stuff to flow uphill

Old 12-20-2014, 11:13 AM   #3

Default Lift kits

And then some of us raise them even more -- the bottom of the walls of my trailer are two feet off the ground, after we flipped the axle! The only limitation on ground clearance is the distance between the ground and the axle, which is about 10 inches, the same as my truck. Steep driveways are not a problem. But big rocks in the middle of a dirt road still require some careful driving.

And yes, the lift kit means a higher center of gravity and more wind resistance. Life is a series of compromises -- in order to go off road (slowly and carefully), we had to lift the trailer.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 04:55 PM   #4

Default Trailer height

Hey Travels with Yoly-
I previously owned a 2006 FF X189 which was lower and now have a 2012 FF X189 which is a lot taller. I don't know about your model, but the difference between my two was that Cruiser overslung the axles on my newer model.
This was clearly in order for the flush floor slide to clear the tops of the tires when extended. My previous model had no slide and had tin wheel wells inside cabinets. The 2010 model pictured on the Fun Finder Forum home page is an "inbetween iteration" where Cruiser used a non-flush slide to clear the tires. This is common on models with slides that are the typical dinette where the tire well can be under the dinette bench. The increased height difference was very noticeable when pulling with my 4Runner especially bucking the wind. Although if you tow one of these lightweights with a diesel pickup, like many, you'll never notice the difference.
2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
jbfunfinder is offline   Reply With Quote