Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-16-2010, 09:57 PM   #1

Default How To: Wheel Bearing Types, and Lube Procedure

I did some research and found out the skinny on the bearings and hubs used in the Fun Finder line of trailers.

From what I have been able to find, Cruiser RV (The parent Company of Fun Finders) used the following equip on their trailers...

Standard hubs: Early trailers use standard hubs that require dis-assembly to lube the bearings. This involves removing the brake drum, outer hub via a nut locked with a cotter pin. This is a lengthy procedure, too long to type out so I provided a couple links that describe how to do it.

http://www.etrailer.com/tv-repack_tr..._bearings.aspx

http://tinyurl.com/yl334kn <Thanks LJAZ for the link!>

There are also several Youtube videos showing how to do it.

Dexter E-Z Lube Hubs: These are used on its 2006* to 2011 trailers. These hubs allow lubing the bearings via a grease fitting at the center of the hub.

To lube E-Z Lube hubs requires basic mechanical abilities, and someone not familiar with greasing bearings should seek a qualified tech. The procedure is very easy, but someone not familiar with how much grease is required may over grease the hub and its possible to induce problems if done incorrectly... Loosen the wheel nuts on all wheels, but only a 1/4 turn, any further and thread damage can occur. Jack up trailer and support it with jack stands rated for the weight. Finish removing the wheels. Load hi-temp axle grease into a grease gun. Make sure the grease is 70 to 80 degrees F, cold grease does not flow well and too much pressure can damage internal seals in the EZ Lube Hub. Using a large flat blade screw driver, or similar tool, pry the rubber plug off the center of the hub. Inside the cavity you just exposed is a grease fitting on the center of the hub. Attach the grease gun to the fitting and begin pumping the grease while turning the hub, this ensures the entire bearing gets new grease. As soon as you see grease coming out between the metal end cap and the hub STOP, you are done. If you continue to pump in more grease make sure you remove the excess grease that is being expelled. Excess grease can cause issues once the hub gets hot. Replace the rubber plug and move to the next hub. I averaged 6 to 8 pumps per axle on my trailer. The link below has a section view to illustrate what the hub looks like.

http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/1080235/f/..._Lube_3-09.pdf

*I found reference to ez-lube hubs on a 2006 model, but they could be on earlier models. If you have knowledge of earlier use please let me know.

Dexter Nev-R-Lube Hubs: These are used on some 2010 trailers. Nev-R-Lube hubs have sealed bearings and don't require any service. They are warrantied for 5 years/100,000 miles.

http://www.dexteraxle.com/nev_r_lube_bearings

Let me know if I missed anything or if you have further info.

Equalizer Hitch
2011 Nomad 206
Panasonic/Pioneer/Kicker ~ Audio/Video System
Days Camped /2009 / 33
keyser soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:24 AM   #2
Site Team

Alan,

Thanks for the info! That E-Z lube looks quite similar to the buddy bearings used on boat trailers.

So for the Nev-R-lube it would seem they should be replaced every 5 years?

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:45 AM   #3

LJAZ, you are correct on both counts...

The E-Z Lube hubs were developed for boat trailer applications, probably using the buddy bearings as a template. They worked very well and eventually migrated to travel trailer use.

Yes, the Nev-R Lube is designed to be replaced after 5 years or 100,000 miles to ensure proper operation. I guess they figure the grease will break down after 5 years and there is no way to repack/replace the grease so you have to replace the bearings. Between the two I think I prefer the e-z lube set-up, I know I won't put 100K miles in 5 years so there is no way I'd wear out the bearings. They're nice for no maintenace, but wasteful for light to medium mileage applications.
Equalizer Hitch
2011 Nomad 206
Days Camped /2009 / 33
Old 03-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #4

Alan

I was wondering where you got your information regarding the Nev R Lube bearings on the 2010 trailers.
I just checked our trailer which is a 2010 manufactured 11-2009 and the bearings are the easy lube with zerk fittings.
Maby we got an older style axle under there?
It is also supposed to have self adjusting breaks, but I can't find any indication the they are actually self adjusting.
The trailer is also supposed to have a Dexter Nev-R Adjust Axles, do you have any idea was they mean by this?

2011 Cheveolet 2500HD 4x4
Intergtated Brake Controller
ARE Camper Shell
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Honda EU2000ia
Days Camped/2011/37 4200 Miles Towing
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:23 PM   #5

Gordon, I'll try to help here, but getting exact info from manufacturer can be difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar
Alan

I was wondering where you got your information regarding the Nev R Lube bearings on the 2010 trailers.
I just checked our trailer which is a 2010 manufactured 11-2009 and the bearings are the easy lube with zerk fittings.
Maby we got an older style axle under there?
That information was from Cruiser RV, parent Co. of Fun Finder. Canadian_eh said he received a call from Shadow Cruiser stating FF trailers have sealed bearings, I sent an email and received the same info, new FF trailers use the sealed bearings. Seeing that your trailer was Manuf. in 11/09, I would believe they were using up their pre-existing inventory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar
It is also supposed to have self adjusting breaks, but I can't find any indication the they are actually self adjusting.
The trailer is also supposed to have a Dexter Nev-R Adjust Axles, do you have any idea was they mean by this?
The Dexter Nev-R Adjust Axles are the name of the axles with self adjusting brakes mounted to them.
http://www.cruiserrv.com/documents/N...djust_4-09.pdf

Dexter supplies the axles with brakes already mounted. There should be service/operation manuals on all the parts that make up the trailer, like AC unit, propane, leveling jacks, and axles/brakes/hubs, etc. included with sales agreement from when you bought the trailer. Check out the packet and see what products are installed on your trailer.
Equalizer Hitch
2011 Nomad 206
Days Camped /2009 / 33
Old 03-24-2010, 12:00 PM   #6

thanks for the informative info on the axle maintenance, it was a big help!!
deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerslayer
thanks for the informative info on the axle maintenance, it was a big help!!
Glad to be of help!
Equalizer Hitch
2011 Nomad 206
Days Camped /2009 / 33
Old 09-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #8

Bump for new members
Equalizer Hitch
2011 Nomad 206
Days Camped /2009 / 33
Old 10-06-2010, 12:02 PM   #9

Default An update for 2011 models

Hi, we have a 2011 FF 189FBS. I have no info for my Axles, except they are LCI Model # 238706. So I emailed FF, and got a reply within 2 hours---not bad. here is their reply:
"You do not have sealed bearings.if you remove the rubber seal then you can grease them.use standard wheel bearing grease."

So it looks like--at least for certain models, they reverted to the, no doubt, cheaper axles, which require greasing, AND a yearly--remove the bearings and repack them! Fortunately, after removing the plastic "hub cap" and the rubber seal---there is a zerk fitting to get grease into the inside.

Ron
Old 10-06-2010, 02:32 PM   #10

Thanks for the update Ron! I would agree with you, to save money, more than likely they went back to the E-Z Lube Hubs. I edited the first post to reflect what you found, I appreciate the help man!!
Equalizer Hitch
2011 Nomad 206
Days Camped /2009 / 33
Old 06-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #11

Bump for updates on new models.

Post up how 2012 and 2013 models are...
Equalizer Hitch
2011 Nomad 206
Days Camped /2009 / 33
Old 06-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser soze
Bump for updates on new models.

Post up how 2012 and 2013 models are...
My 2012 189FDS has Lippert axles with the grease zerks to lube the wheel bearings. Just pop the plastic 'hub cap' off, and pry out the rubber weather plug.

george

ps, and manually adjusted brakes too
gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:04 PM   #13

Thanks! I just went to grease the wheel bearings in my (new to me) trailer and was pleasantly surprised to find the zerks. I was wondering if I could just pry off the center cap of the (cap in the middle of the wheel) and not remove the wheel... It looks like it would break despite there being a screwdriver sized spot for what has to be that purpose.

I'll just be glad all I have to do is remove the wheel!

Jon
Beachseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:30 PM   #14

My 2010 FF does not require the tires to be removed. Just jack up one wheel at a time, remove the hub cap and then the rubber plug. The zert is right there and with the tire still on you can slowly rotate the wheel with ease.
Attached Thumbnails
20170803_161754.jpg   20170803_161733.jpg  
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:42 PM   #15

My 2015 214WSD has the same axles as above with the zert.

2015 FunFinder F214WSD
2008 F150 with Triton.
ChasWray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:27 PM   #16

Here is a video on how to lube the EZ lube hubs

Old 08-03-2017, 08:25 PM   #17

One other thing, is that I will generally pump grease in until fresh grease is coming out. My approach is to replace the grease not just add a little to what is already in the hub. This means I use about three tubes of grease (Lucas red n tacky) in order to do four wheels. It can get a bit messy but I would rather have fresh grease in the bearings rather than a mixture of old and new, especially if the grease you are putting in is not compatible with what is already there.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:51 AM   #18

Agree with twinster2 about lubing until can see fresh grease coming out.

I use Mobile ONE Synthetic grease but Lucas red n tacky is great too.