Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2011, 12:13 PM   #1

Default Towing Shadow Cruiser 26BHS with Ford Explorer V 8

Hi there , looking at purchasing Shadow Cruiser 26BHS and have a 2006 Ford Exporer V8 that has towing capacity of 7300 lbs. Specs on TT below...

Should this be ok ????

Thanks

Length 28'8"
Width 8'0"
Height 9'10"
Interior Height 6'4"
Hitch Weight 405 lbs
Dry Weight 4,044 lbs
Cargo Weight 3,361 lbs

tstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:38 PM   #2

You don't mention how large your family is or what options that you have on your Explorer. That year Explorer, V8 4x2 is, indeed rated at 7300 lbs towing. But... the total vehicle loading is ~1500 lbs. That 1500 lbs has to cover any options that you have on your Explorer, passengers and luggage along with the tongue weight of the TT.

That TT is big... 28+ feet on an Explorer is pushing it and you have to figure ~13% of total weight (for that length) for the tongue weight in order to pull properly. If you load the TT light (and that will depend on how many folks and what they want to bring), figure 1500 lbs for cargo and full LPG and a battery, you are looking at a little over 5500 lbs. 5500 x 13%= 715 lbs. That 715 lbs has to be counted toward the cargo load in your Explorer...along with a good WD hitch (around 100 lbs), so that you are looking at 815 lbs gone from your load capacity before anybody gets in.

Another thing that will hurt you, at those weights, is that year Explorer came with 3.55 rear end gearing.

Can you do it? Sure, the numbers fit if you load lightly, but, it isn't going to be fun and you'll learn to really hate anything more than a molehill (you don't mention where you are from or where you'll likely be going). Kansas for short trips, sure... Would I do it? Nope. I wouldn't tow that particular TT with my 6000 lb Hemi Commander.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:44 PM   #3

One of the most entertaining and enlightening Saturday mornings I've had since owning my FF-189 was spent at my local truck scale. For $10 I learned that I can easily overload my Chevy 1/2 t pu (1500 lb cargo limit)with camping stuff. Webslave's advice is excellent.
Patient and understanding wife
dlhilliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:07 PM   #4

I tow a 16 ft FunFinder through the hills of PA with my 2008 Explorer V8. In my opinion I would not want to tow anything bigger with the Explorer. If I decided to get a larger TT I would upgrade to an Expedition.

What the vehicle tow limits are and what is comfortable to tow on a hilly highway are two different animals. Now if you are always on non-interstate level roads you can tow a lot more weight. My 20 hp lawnmower tows the FunFinder just fine around the backyard.
No pets - Sponser Child https://www.childfund.org
gheicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:00 PM   #5

Default Thanks all

Thanks , typically it's just two or three travelling and Eastern Canada about a hour at most of towing each weekend. All dealers I spoke to said for sure on the towing....I would have to believe that will be fine.

Thanks for your replies,
Old 04-09-2011, 03:06 PM   #6

Default towing cruiser

Hi
I am towing the same trailer with a V6 Dodge Nitro 4X4 with now problems at all.
landshark27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:32 AM   #7

Thanks , I have spoken to at least 5 dealers that know that I purchased already and they told me the same...

Thank you