Old 09-15-2020, 03:20 PM   #61

So another camping trip in the books... this time 4 days down in Escalante Utah.

The temps leaving home were an odd (for this time of year) 50-55 degrees, so my Jeep's temp stayed relatively cool.

The days were high 80s so it was warm, but the nights dipped to the low 40s-high 30s. This was the first time we used the little on board heater.

We liked it a lot, after the initial "dusty" smell went away. Not having to go outside and manually light it was really nice. The off switch was a little funky. My wife couldn't tell if it was off or not. Also the thermostat made a very loud "BOING!" noise once the set temps were reached, haha. I didn't mind, but the wife absolutely hated it. (women)

I watched a YouTube video on making an ice chest cooler (AC) with a Coleman cooler, a marine bilge fan and some plumbing fixtures. Everything went together well, and it should have worked... but ultimately it did not do well.

This type has ice sitting on top of a dryer exhaust tube, so the outside air doesn't hit the ice directly, the ice is supposed to cool the tube the air is going through. It just didn't work.

The video has the fan blowing at full power, making it loud as hell. So I decided to add a potentiometer switch so I could dial down the power. It made the fan much quieter and allowed the air to have more time to cool. However this had no effect.

I'll try a few more things to see what I can do, but I think I'll ultimately give up on that stupid thing.

Xerofall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
t139fk