Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2016, 01:11 PM   #1

Default 2007 fbs189, Ottawa-Baja-Okanagan

Hi! Our first travel trailer Just about to move into for a month in September before travelling after just selling my girlfriend's house and my 22 ft, 2004 motorhome that i had for 2 years. . Hope we don't drive each other crazy! We also bought a 2012 awd Toyota Highlander as our tow vehicle. It will also be our going up the ski mountain vehicle in the winter when we store the trailer. Got an e2 weight distribution hitch and it already had the brake controller.

I have a question about why there are stickers on the floor under the sink that state that area is not a storage compartment?? Is it cause of road dust? as I would think the floor would be strong enough? We will need every inch of storage available as we will likely spend 5 months a year in it. We have already repurposed both the TV and microwave spaces.

If someone could point me to a thread about adding a second battery and also an inverter to this model's configuration it would be appreciated. (We have a portable 120W Solar panel kept from the motorhome)

Also I saw inside something about a max 250lb tongue load !? but see stamped on the tongue itself 700 lbs.

Thanks and thanks to all the people who have posted helpful tips already!
Attached Thumbnails
20160720_201404.jpg  

dnto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:07 PM   #2

Welcome to the club! Are you in Ottawa, Baja, or the Okanagan?

If this is your first trailer, be sure to ask questions. But since you've already had an RV, you are probably way ahead of the curve.

We use the compartment under the sink for storage. There were some holes in the subfloor for the plumbing -- I filled them with expanding foam. No road dust, no mice!

Some folks will say that a Highlander can't do the job. I say that if you stay within the sticker limits, you should be ok. The hardest part is downhill -- use a low gear, and watch the transmission temp.

They say that tongue weight should be 10 to 15 percent of total trailer weight.

We put two batteries on the tongue, running heavy 10 gauge wire back to the converter. I only use one battery at a time -- the other is a spare if and when the first one gets down to 12.1 volts. You get more total power if you hook both batteries up at the same time (the Peukert effect), but you are in trouble if both batteries die. So that is why I go with the less efficient "one in use and one as a spare" system -- I am risk averse.

Use the biggest batteries you can lift. I have two group 31 deep cycle batteries, 65 pounds each. That is all I can lift safely. Each is rated at 110 amp/hours.

We have a 120 watt portable panel -- it seems to completely recharge the battery every day. But we are frugal with electricity, and we live in sunny (dry) California, so our situation is probably atypical.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:01 PM   #3

Wow, such a nice reply and helpful too. We're home in Ottawa Ont in the summer with family, Baja late Fall for kiteboarding and BC in the winter to ski... or that's the plan.
The Highlander is rated for 5000 lb/500 lb tongue so hopefully it will be ok.
I had the tongue weighed where I had a receiver hitch installed and with 2/3 full fresh water no black or grey and half the junk we will carry, it was just barely over 300 lbs. So was originally a bit concerned adding another battery on the tongue but should be ok.
So no seperate inverter?
Thanks again for the welcome and info
Old 08-02-2016, 09:25 PM   #4

We have a very small inverter -- we tapped into the 12 volt system. It puts out about 100 watts -- not really enough to charge a laptop.

Where in Baja do you go kiteboarding?
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:27 PM   #5

I think the stickers under the sink are there because storing things down there could loosen plumbing lines etc. we do use it for some storage but have things in wicker containers so they don't rattle around.
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:38 PM   #6

Ok kinda what I thought. We'll seal it and keep stuff from moving but need that space.
Last year we went just SE of La Paz to a small fishing village called La Ventana which gets great thermal wind Nov-Mar to learn to kiteboard ...and we are going back
Old 08-02-2016, 10:59 PM   #7

That sounds wonderful. My brother likes to go to a place called Jalapa. Not sure of the spelling. We found out we carry a lot more stuff than we really need inside the trailer. Mostly too much cooking stuff. We will be on a 10 day trip in September and will have to think carefully about what to take. We will be breaking camp every couple of days on that trip. Luckily Michigan State Park dump stations are free if you have a sticker.
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantraveler View Post
I think the stickers under the sink are there because storing things down there could loosen plumbing lines etc. we do use it for some storage but have things in wicker containers so they don't rattle around.
Ditto this. To me, any space is a storage space. We have not taken our FF out yet but will do so soon...however, in our previous small trailer, we traveled 30,000 miles since 2008. Every space counts if you like to use your rig.

When it comes to towing, torque is the key...the more the merrier. I think your vehicle will do since it is rated above the trailer's requirements. We pull with our Jeep Diesel and reach our maximum torque of almost 400 ft lbs at only 1800 RPM. We also get 15-17 MPG while pulling.

I put a small inverter in mine under the sink and wired it to a new fuse in the fuse box. Its pretty easy. I'll post a short how to in a few days under my thread "My 189 FBR".

That's a nice looking rig...I think you will be comfy.
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:01 AM   #9
Site Team

Not sure which model trailer you have, but on mine the sticker that says don't store stuff there is in the cabinet next to the heater. You're not supposed to put stuff there because of the risk of fire. I'll have to double check but I think I have one in the cabinet next to the oven as well. We use them for travel, but remove the stuff if we plan to use the oven or heater.

Also not sure if it's just a funny angle from the pic, but it looks like the front of the trailer is sitting a bit high.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:45 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for the welcome replies
Yes there is another ' not a storage space ' floor sticker beside the heater which I could understand.
The trailer doesn't actually sit tongue high but due to the slight slope just it was on in the photo it sure looks like it...good eye!
If it wasn't for travelling in Mexico where they only have the high sulphur diesel still, I think we would have looked for a diesel for that added towing torque that you mention Chirpz.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:23 PM   #11

I use those spaces where "they" say not to for storage! I put that non-slip foam stuff on floor and also use baskets. (have it in all the cupboards too, nothing moves ever!) Nothing big or heavy stored under there anyways. Extra paper towels, TP, plastic bags, dish drain rack etc.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnto View Post
I have a question about why there are stickers on the floor under the sink that state that area is not a storage compartment?? Is it cause of road dust? as I would think the floor would be strong enough? We will need every inch of storage available as we will likely spend 5 months a year in it. We have already repurposed both the TV and microwave spaces.
I use those spaces where "they" say not to for storage! I put that non-slip foam stuff on floor and also use baskets. (have it in all the cupboards too, nothing moves ever!) Nothing big or heavy stored under there anyways. Extra paper towels, TP, plastic bags, dish drain rack etc.

Dawn

Tags
inverter, newbie, storage, tongue weight