Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2018, 09:23 AM   #21

Hilda, the good news is that a 139 is much easier to control in cross-winds than a longer trailer -- it is a much smaller balloon!

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:02 PM   #22

well, I feel a lot better about the trailer/van arrangement today. There is a hairy mountain pass to the east of us, it goes over the Organ Mts. and is a real test. It was also very windy with a lot of gusts. I decided I just needed to drive it. The brake controller will be installed tomorrow, but it was windy today.

so we hitched it up and off I went. I took a route that has lots of twisty roads and hill before getting on highway 70 east, over the Organ Mt. pass.

I am usually the driver. my husband drove when we test drove the trailer up the other big hill, the one going west of town. We usually drive this hill going camping to the east, to Cloudcroft, NM or Aguirre Springs. we are driving the Rialta when we do that. I am usually struggling to maintain a speed of 40 before we get out of the town of Organ, as far right as I can get. we usually crest the pass going 35. The rialta has a terrible time in the wind, a real white knuckle experience. so I was expecting something similar from the GC pulling a trailer.

But no! it was a piece of cake. no buffeting from the wind, easy to keep my speed up to the speed limit, and really stable handling. no sway, no bounce. I felt quite comfortable driving to the top of the hill and back down again.

I did realize that I didn't drain the water out of the tank, maybe the weight stabilized it some.

Hilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:39 PM   #23

Great news, Hilda! Yes, make sure you have enough tongue weight. It cuts down on the sway. But I would still get a sway bar -- why not?

And yes, having water in the tank also lowers the center of gravity, which helps in a cross wind.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:44 PM   #24

getting the brake controller tomorrow and then a sway bar. thanks!

Hilda is offline   Reply With Quote