Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #1

Default Battery installation

I'm never quite sure which color wire (I have black and white) to connect to positive and negative when I connect my battery for the 189FBR.

jrpehle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #2

Black to positive (like home wiring, black is "hot") and white to ground (no neutral on battery systems, so white is ground).

They are easy to get confused on, most battery devices use red for "hot" and black for "ground". RV "house" (notice the term "house") batteries use the same color coding as your "house"...black is hot and white is neutral/ground for the system. If the battery weren't connected to your RV "house", it would, by convention be red for hot and black for ground. Since they are your "house" batteries, they take the house color codes.

BTW, noticed your other post, and, Welcome to the FunFinder community!! Great bunch of folks (well there used to be a couple of soreheads, but, haven't heard much from them lately...) and you, of course, are more than welcome to "pick our brains"; that's what we're all here for...sharing knowledge, modifications and experiences. The day I don't have anything else to learn would be a sad day indeed and one that I hope never comes! Again, Welcome!

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:15 AM   #3

Thanks for the welcome and the information on battery hookup. I wonder if I have a bad fuse as the battery didn't give the trailer any power. Is the 30 amp fuse in the green connector by the battery the only fuse? I'll be replacing that one this morning.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:53 AM   #4

Yes, the 30 amp fuse in the green holder is the main fuse for the battery connection (if you have a power jack you should have another, either similar or identical, for it).

Have you checked the battery disconnect switch? You don't mention the year of your trailer, but, the majority of FunFinders made after mid-'08 and '09 models have them. If that switch got turned "off", either accidentally or intentionally, then you also won't have 12v power... The disconnect is usually, on FunFinders, a silver pull knob (if you are old enough to remember manual chokes it looks like one of those). Pull it out to connect the battery's output to the trailer and push it in to "disconnect" the battery. Don't know the location, but, most FunFinders usually have them located inside the forward pass through or inside the trailer in the main switch panel where the switches for the lights, pump, etc. is located.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #5

Good diagnosis. It was the fuse. BTW, I found the battery disconnect last year and I agree with many posters, it was a poor design/location and is easily shut off.