Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2010, 06:48 AM   #1
sbb

Default Moven On Up

Hi, I am just moving on up to a 189FDS, I plan to push the buy button today with pick-up March 23rd. I am a bit nervous as this is my first trailer with lots of bells and whistles. I started with a teardrop for 4 years, moved up to a T@B for 3 years and now liven large in my Fun Finder. Is it hard to deal with the hoses, for bathroom and water? Anyone have this style? I look forward to any information anyone has. I camp about 90 nights between May and Oct, so this trailer will get a workout. Thanks. sbb

sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:17 AM   #2

Default moven on up

Welcome to the site. Not many post here but you can get some good info
Are you getting new or used?
I moved up from a chalet pop up. My 189 is a 2007 which I bought new.

i use my trailer for long weekend primative camping.Even for One person it is a little cramped for lomg term camping . The newer slide units are a little better.
lots of luck!!
RWDIII

RWD lll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:34 PM   #3
sbb

Default Moven Up

I am getting new, my first new trailer. I am coming off a very active T@B forum, lots of members, tons of posts. I am going to check out the mods area to see if there is anything I can do to improve the trailer. I do a lot of boondocking, can you use the "electric" awning and jacks when boondocking? The T@B had a channel based awning and I cranked the jacks. Such luxuries now Do you use sway bars and what do you tow with? sbb
Old 03-11-2010, 12:38 PM   #4

Default Moven on up

My trailer most be bare bones,no electric jacks or awning. I tow with a F150,4wd.I dont use any thing but the receiver hitch , a ball that keeps the trailer level.I keep track of the milage and after about 10000 miles of trailering,I avgabout 10.5 mpg,with a high of 12.5,low of 9.The wind kills
milage out in the desert.

If you use your water take,use an adapter to fill it,or you will get a nice shower

RWDIII
Old 03-12-2010, 07:03 AM   #5
sbb

Default up

What adapter? Do you mean for pressure? Where do I get that? Where do I put it? I pick up next Thursday and I am already sweating the fact I have to back down my driveway, I really don't want to take the hedges out.
I am an old lady traveling 95% of time alone. I like to keep my ducks near the pond to keep things simple while traveling, I like a trouble free unit that is easy to hitch, pull, maintain and especially backup. I have not gotten the knack yet. The teardrop was only 8' so I would unhitch and push, T@B was 15' including tongue, that came with grab handles for pushing around. Now I HAVE to back up and I am a wreck. I always seem to jack knife the trailer. Camping spots are ok, it is my own driveway where I have NO option. sbb-Jersey Girl
Old 03-12-2010, 09:21 AM   #6

All I meant is if you fill the fresh water tank with a hose,it may splash back on you.The adapter is a plastic hose , less than a foot long ,which fits into the tank opening,so you wont get splashed.

RWDIII
Old 03-15-2010, 04:49 PM   #7

Default Fellow Newby NJ-based 189 owner

SBB, like you we have recently purchased a 189, like you we are in NJ, and like you we are learning how to back up!

We had a small motorhome previously, and we moved to the Fun Finder so as to no longer have to deal with vehicle maintenance, registration, and insurance issues. We already owned a suitable tow vehicle, but the only thing I have backed up previously have been either small trailers or an open trailer -- both easy to see around and over! The Fun Finder, even though it is a relatively small travel trailer, is like backing up a barn.

Still, I am practicing, and my wife is learning what "left" and "right" mean when guiding me.

We are ready for Spring!
UsedCookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:22 PM   #8
sbb

Default Moven Up

Hi, I pick up the Fun Finder on Thiursday. I own an Irish Shop and have to get thru Wednesday. I bought it in PA, live in Denville. Did you get the slide out? I take it out the first time on the 23rd for about 9 days, going to Lancaster for classes and then taking grandchildren out a few days. I can't imagine so much more room than the T@B. As for backing up, with the T@B I would just unhitch and use the grab bars to move it wherever I wanted to go. Now I'm in with the big boys and the first test is my own driveway. I am a bit terrified. The salesman has promised a lesson, he knows it is a complete deal breaker if I totally fail. I can back up straight and I can back up on an angle, I get confused which way to turn the wheel next if I over compensate. Poor salesman has no idea what he is in for!!! sbb
Old 03-18-2010, 08:48 PM   #9

Congrats on the new trailer!!

deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote