Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2008, 05:53 PM   #1

Default new

New to this site...have been reasearching alot of TT's and have narrowed it down to an egg(Oliver) and the Fun Finder...thinking the FF is a better deal...I like the 160 or one of the 189's...I am retired and do alot of nature, landscape, wildlife photography.....seems that those two are ideal for some "off road" adventures. Alan..I notice that you have a 2006 Xterra...which is what I have...do you see any problem in towing what I want and do I need to get any special gear.....

This site is GREAT...just hope more people get to using it...

I need all the advice I can get...Thanks Horst

Old 12-08-2008, 08:51 AM   #2

Welcome Horst! The 06 Xterra is an excellant tow platform, especially for what you are looking to do. I added a trans fluid cooler, a 2-1/2 inch catback and firestone air springs to aid in towing, but our trailer is about 4600 lbs when loaded, with a 600lb hitch weight. Even with that weight, the Xterra delivers 9 to 10 mpg towing on flat ground, and can maintain 55mph @ 4500rpm pulling 6 to 7% grades. For the 160 I would say you are set, for 189 trailer, I would look into the Firestone Air Springs, they bolt onto the stock suspension in about an hour or so, and prevent the rear suspension from hitting the "High Load" leaf in the springs. If you have ever had a couple people in the back of your Xterra, and drove over a speed bump or gutter detent, you know about the "Thud" from the rear. With the Air Springs, that is eliminated. Besides that, your Xterra will never be over-taxed pulling those trailers.

Equalizer Hitch
2011 Nomad 206
Panasonic/Pioneer/Kicker ~ Audio/Video System
Days Camped /2009 / 33
keyser soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:16 PM   #3

Default xterra

Keyser Soze...thanks for your reply...I will take all your suggestions..I do like my Xterra...couple of more questions...my understanding is the wheels are 14 vs 15...would it be worth it to buy 15 inch...also what kind if any extra brake system do you have...last I live in Texas but would be willing to travel to go to the best dealer...any ideas...again thanks for taking the time to answer...Horst
Old 12-09-2008, 09:12 AM   #4

Horst,
IMO the 15" tire would be a better way to go, having a higher load rating and less rotations per mile leads to better reliability in the long run, and I think they look better.

Our Xterra came from the factory with the tow pakage, so all I had to do was purchase a brake controler and dig out the wiring harness from under the dash, wire it up, and mount the controller.

Dealers. You need to decide what is most important to you concerning the dealer. Is it price, trade in, service, integrity? One truth about dealers is they give preferred service to people who buy from them. You might find a better deal at a dealer in another town or state, but if you ever do require service, how much trouble is it to get the unit back to them for service? Are you willing to pay a bit more for the trailer from a local dealer for the added benefit of ease of service, if you ever do need service? We bought our trailer from Ruthruaff RV, a small, family owned dealer who specializes in Ultra Lite Trailers. They are in Tucson, we live in Phoenix, 100 miles away. To get the trailer to them for any issue, is at least a half day commitment from us, and they only accept service dring the work week. I really like the people we purchased from, but it is an added hassle. In the end, for us, it was worth finding a trustworthy dealer. Your mileage may vary.. Good luck man, your trailer is out there waiting for ya!!

Hope that helps, any other questions, let me know.
Equalizer Hitch
2011 Nomad 206
Panasonic/Pioneer/Kicker ~ Audio/Video System
Days Camped /2009 / 33
keyser soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:32 PM   #5

Alan...Again thanks for your thoughts and advice...now the search begins...By the way, what type of brake controller did you get...Thanks Horst