Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Club Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-22-2020, 07:05 AM   #1

Default New 2012 FUNFINDER XT276 family

Hello all, We have just purchased a 276 and are excited to get back to camping/RVing. The unit is in good shape other than the fo-leather flaking form every cushion. Any recommendations or items to look out for on the 276? I noticed it has no insulation under the camper. Is this a concern if we camp in colder environments? We are thinking of replacing the couch/bed in the toy hauler. Couch configuration seems less than ideal. Anyone done this and to what results.

Thanks in advance to all.
Attached Thumbnails
20200915_111927 (1).jpg  

JeepMacGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:24 AM   #2

Welcome, and congratulations! Are you sure there is no insulation underneath? On my 2012 X139, there is a thick layer of fiberglass underneath, covered with a heavy black vinyl sheet. I'd be a little surprised if other 2012 models had no insulation, but I guess it is possible.

If there is no insulation, then yes, you would be happier in cold weather if you could add some. I had a 2003 T139 with no insulation, and in freezing weather, that floor would get very, very cold. Our 2012 model handles temps in the 20s with no problem.

Colder than 20 is a bit dicey -- I installed an Ultra Heat Cable to keep the water lines from freezing. It works, but it uses a fair amount of electricity (about 2 amps), which is a lot when we are boondocking.

Where are you planning to go camping?

Old 09-22-2020, 11:26 AM   #3

We like to camp in the NC Blue Ridge mountains. In late fall and winter it can stay below 30deg. I don't want tanks to freeze or lines. I think my camper is the one season model. I figure that I'll insulate under the floor and add coroplast to seal out most of the elements. do you like having your axles swapped?
JeepMacGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:50 AM   #4

Yes -- if you mean flipping the axle. It gave us several more inches of ground clearance. Some folks do it themselves -- I had it done by the dealership, since I don't know much about suspensions.

The only downside is a slightly higher center of gravity -- but so far, that has not been a problem.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepMacGyver View Post
Hello all, We have just purchased a 276 and are excited to get back to camping/RVing. The unit is in good shape other than the fo-leather flaking form every cushion. Any recommendations or items to look out for on the 276? I noticed it has no insulation under the camper. Is this a concern if we camp in colder environments? We are thinking of replacing the couch/bed in the toy hauler. Couch configuration seems less than ideal. Anyone done this and to what results.

Thanks in advance to all.
I purchased my XT276 new - special order from the factory. To date, it has been a great unit with zero major issues.
You are correct, the 276 has no insulation under the floor. No a problem for me as only use the toy hauler in the summer months - far to cold in the winter with -20+ temp readings here in the Dakotas.
Suggest you make sure the tie downs in the garage are secured tightly -- go under the unit and be sure the nuts on the tie downs are tight, I double nutted mine right after purchase.
When you winterize the unit - be sure to blow air thru the black water flush or the one way valve will freeze and bust .... don't ask how I know this.
I removed the benches and table and replaced it with nice recliners as the bench is not comfortable after a short period of time. Besides, didn't have any use for converting it in to a bed. Purchased recliners at WalMart and they do fit in the front door. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Flash-Fur...rSoft/49194843 Very comfortable to sit in!
Also trashed the POS mattress and replaced it with a Beautyrest mattress, standard queen as the little overhang at the foot end is no big deal.
Also replaced the little 12" TV with a 39", replaced the cheezy Jensen antenna with a King HD antenna and this year added a Dish portable satellite dish for reception anywhere.
Replaced the china tires with Goodyear Endurance tires and have the optional 15" wheels - not the standard 14".
Added another fire extinguisher -- mounted in the garage area, changed the shower head and put in an extending shower curtain rod for more room in shower.

Enjoy your unit!!
Old 09-27-2020, 01:29 PM   #6

I removed one of the jack knife sofas in my XT245 (to replace it with chairs) and left the other one in place. I found that the original folding sofa mounting brackets in the FunFinder are bolted in to captive nuts in the wall. Two of the captive nuts in my wall had come loose from their bracket and removing the sofa was a chore but that's a story for another campfire.

The end result was plenty of room for two rolling chairs rather than stationary recliners and a bookcase on the wall above the tire well.
2013 GMC Sierra
NorthPuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 03:42 PM   #7
APD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepMacGyver View Post
We like to camp in the NC Blue Ridge mountains. In late fall and winter it can stay below 30deg. I don't want tanks to freeze or lines. I think my camper is the one season model. I figure that I'll insulate under the floor and add coroplast to seal out most of the elements. do you like having your axles swapped?
Welcome
We'll be just outside of Cherokee in Whittier NC this weekend at Flaming Arrow CG. The campgrounds are full about everywhere up there.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:39 PM   #8

Eagle,
Crap, just blew the lines and red popped the camper, didn't blow out the black tank flush system. 2.5 hour trip to the campground. What did you have to do to replace the check valve because I don't think I did it last year either..... sigh
Old 09-28-2020, 07:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelleyb48 View Post
Eagle,
Crap, just blew the lines and red popped the camper, didn't blow out the black tank flush system. 2.5 hour trip to the campground. What did you have to do to replace the check valve because I don't think I did it last year either..... sigh
I didn't blow out the black water back flush for several years after purchasing the toy hauler either and got by OK.

Then when using the black tank flush after dumping the tanks after the first venture in the spring, water started dripping out the bottom of the camper. Checking inside, the floor was all wet and I was dumbfounded.

A little checking inside of where the water was coming from revealed it was near where the black tank flush hookup fitting is on the exterior & near the wall insdie a cabinet containing the radio below the TV.

I opened the door and removed a side cabinet panel that revealed the location of the valve. It was a tight space to work in but able to replace the valve with a new exact replacement found at Amazon.com:
JR Products 571-VAC-CHK-A Vacuum Breaker/Check Valve
Brand: JR Products
4.4 out of 5 stars 125 ratings
Price: $30.66 & FREE Shipping

Good luck.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:46 AM   #10

Default black water flush

[QUOTE=Eagle;28256]I didn't blow out the black water back flush for several years after purchasing the toy hauler either and got by OK.

Then when using the black tank flush after dumping the tanks after the first venture in the spring, water started dripping out the bottom of the camper. Checking inside, the floor was all wet and I was dumbfounded.

A little checking inside of where the water was coming from revealed it was near where the black tank flush hookup fitting is on the exterior & near the wall insdie a cabinet containing the radio below the TV.

I opened the door and removed a side cabinet panel that revealed the location of the valve. It was a tight space to work in but able to replace the valve with a new exact replacement found at Amazon.com:

Good luck.[/QU

Eagle, hopefully we'll get out there before the freeze, if not thanks for the information.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:00 AM   #11

I also just picked up a 2012 xt276 this weekend and can't wait to start using it . We will be using it mostly for going to motocross races with 3 bikes in the back along with tool box and other goodies . Anyone here using it for a similar use that has any recommendations on setup or anything else to look for as I start going through it ?
Bjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:30 AM   #12

Once got my unit home from the dealership 300 miles away, I went under the unit, tightened/double nutted the tie downs in the garage area .. they were not very tight.

Also ran the A/C, furnace, water heater, stove & microwave. Dealer assured they had been checked as OK but did it anyway. Dealer was correct, all worked as designed. And got a couple cans of spray foam and some stainless steel wool and packed/sealed every opening where plumbing-wires when thru the flooring to keep any unwanted visitors out! Winter storage months, toss 4 -5 packets of "Fresh Cab" rodent deterrent in the camper...bed/living/bath/garage areas. NEVER had a mouse or found droppings.

Dealer convinced me to get fantastic vent fan over the bed and has proven to be a worthwhile addition....also the 15" tires.

I've used an Equal-i-zer hitch and never had an issue with sway even in 40 MPH + cross winds..........here anything under at 25 MPH breeze is considered "calm."

First couple of years, pulled with a Ram 1500 4x4 pickup w/hemi and did just fine. When updating the pickup, went with 2500 4x4 w/6.4 hemi that also works great & provides a more stable feel in the tow vehicle.....as did the Goodyear Endurance tires.

The original factory china tires were two years old with the new camper from the factory ..hint - check the mfg date on the tires.

Check the roof .. make sure it's clean and the sealant around the vents is good, not cracked, etc. that could to leaking.

The tail/clearance lights are LED and when they go out .. have to replace the entire light unit. So far, replaced one tail/brake light and two clearance lights.

Any specific questions ... ask please.

Happy camping.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:58 AM   #13

Has anyone noticed that the rear ramp for the garage does not seal all that well in the top middle when closed I noticed when washing it that a little water made its way through and when I got on a ladder to look I can see that the seal doesn't touch the camper . Is this common and if so does anyone know how to resolve it?
Old 10-26-2020, 09:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjohnson View Post
Has anyone noticed that the rear ramp for the garage does not seal all that well in the top middle when closed I noticed when washing it that a little water made its way through and when I got on a ladder to look I can see that the seal doesn't touch the camper . Is this common and if so does anyone know how to resolve it?
The rear ramp door on my unit seals just fine. Have you checked the rubber 'weatherstrip' to assure it's intact and pliable?

If the weatherstrip is good, I would venture the door has been 'tweeked' from it not being properly supported all the way across where it contacts the ground when open during loading/unloading. Suggest you check the top edge of the door so straight and true .. if the door is not equally supported, either in the center or either side, it will twist and may not seal.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjohnson View Post
Ours doesn't seal at the corners. Was in the garage and could see light coming through the seal area. Guess I'll have to check if the door edge is true like Eagle commented. Unfortunately that's going to have to wait until next season.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
I didn't blow out the black water back flush for several years after purchasing the toy hauler either and got by OK.

Good luck.
Eagle,
I got ambitious last week and drove out to the camper, blew out the black tank flush line and OH ya had to blow out the outside shower which I also forgot to winterize. Oh well another gallon of red pop and a half tank of gas is less expensive than replacing the check valve and outside shower assembly.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:01 PM   #17

Good you got it done before it froze, had to buy replacement parts and spend the time to install new parts.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
The rear ramp door on my unit seals just fine. Have you checked the rubber 'weatherstrip' to assure it's intact and pliable?

If the weatherstrip is good, I would venture the door has been 'tweeked' from it not being properly supported all the way across where it contacts the ground when open during loading/unloading. Suggest you check the top edge of the door so straight and true .. if the door is not equally supported, either in the center or either side, it will twist and may not seal.
yea the weather strip looked to be in good condition . I'll have to take a straight edge to the door and camper to make sure the are straight . thanks for the feedback
Old 10-27-2020, 08:10 AM   #19

Bjohnson You are welcome
Old 10-27-2020, 08:19 AM   #20

I should add ... on the XT- 276 and others, always leave the round silver knob on the control panel just inside the door pulled out all the time. It must be out so when connected to shore power, the battery will charge from the power converter.
When pushed in, it will disconnect 12 volt power to the lights, the trailer brakes (even when connected to the tow vehicle) and the front power hitch jack.
Also, there is an in line fuse holder not far from the battery and if the fuse blows, you lose 12 volt power to the unit.