Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2016, 10:08 AM   #1

Default New Fun Finder and Super excited!

Hello everyone! I am so excited to see this forum for funfinders! We purchased our 2016 215WSK this week and have a couple of quirks but love it! This is our 3rd Travel Trailer so we had a lot of experience on what we did and did not want this time. Our previous was a 2013 Coleman Dutchmen 260RL, and we loved it too but decided to downsize as the superslide really made the weight too much for our comfort zone.

We are in North Georgia and love to camp, travel, hike, gold hunt, hang out cooking chili by the campfire with a couple of cocktails.

I have been reading for 2 days about the quirks we have and maybe 1 is something we have to get used too after reading the posts but if anyone can offer advise, I would love to know.

1.) the bypass valve is leaking and we are going to replace this hopefully today, minor issue, quick fix.

2.) we are getting about 4 gallons of hot water (it started with 2 but got better each time). It seems like this is the best we can get. I never measured the amount we got with our previous camper but it was also a 6 gallon by Atwood (not suburban as this one) and I know you have to hustle while showering or do the Navy method but I have long hair and I am running out way before I am finished. Cold shower and Cold Temps don't mix .

I also noticed the front door seems really tight opening and closing, not used to this but I think it's normal and a great feature so it doesn't slam shut with a bit of wind.

Anyways looking forward to meeting some of you in person. We are in our mid-late 40's (not swingers) Sorry had to mention that from a previous awkward experience.

Tressa & Gordon

tressaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 03:51 PM   #2

Can't help personally with your issues...just wanted to say welcome!

Old 01-16-2016, 06:45 PM   #3

Yes, welcome.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to answer your questions.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:58 PM   #4

There are no swingers here, I can assure you. And welcome to our club! Have you talked to the dealer about the water heater issue? It should give you a full six gallons.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:27 PM   #5
APD

Smile

Howdy Tressaray, we get down in your area every so often. Love eating at the Blue Willow when we're down that way.
Our water heater is a six gallon and we get a lot more then that from it. I would speak with a dealer or service tech about getting it checked out.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:34 PM   #6

Make sure your water heater bypass valve is set to the closed position when using the water heater for normal use. If it is in the wrong position, you are diluting the flowing hot water with cold water.
gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:11 PM   #7

Welcome aboard Tressaray, and good luck with your new trailer...

I agree with APD and Gmw Photographics, and get your dealer to check and show you the valve positions...

I can't remember the make of my HW Heater without pulling the manual AND it is -9 degrees outside, but when I first fill my tank each season, I need to bleed the air from the HW heater... I simply pull the pop-off slowly and carefully to bleed all air from the tank... it only takes a few moments... Bleeding air from your HW Tank, if required, should be covered in your Hot Water Heater Manual.

But again, check with your dealer as the trailer sounds new...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:14 PM   #8

Thank you! I took it back to the dealer and the valve had a terrible leak. They seem to think this will fix the issue and have replaced it. I am hoping. Just got it home a bit ago and will check it out tomorrow. Fingers crossed, hoping for a 2 month excursion to Yellowstone and back at year end.

Yes APD, Blue Willow is amazing! Most people have never heard of Social Circle but Blue Willow seems to be the staple of our small beautiful city.

Thanks everyone for the welcome wishes!
Old 01-23-2016, 09:20 PM   #9

You will love Yellowstone! We were there again last fall and stayed at a RV campground in Cody Wyoming. Don't miss the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody Wy. as a great place to check out so plan for a minimum of 1/2 a day just to quickly see part of it.
Watch for buffalo on the roads in Yellowstone ~ they don't move out of the roadway and will walk within inches of your vehicle. Lots to see there!
Old 01-30-2016, 01:33 PM   #10

Default Update

So we got the valve replaced and still not much hot water. We did so much research and were able to find that Atwood (the model is our prior camper) produces 50% more hot water then the Suburbans (both 6 gallon models). This is why we are having such a hard time with it. We decided to upgrade to the Suburban on demand system (cons...we loose our option to switch from Electric to gas).

We have already begun planning a huge road trip for later in the year. It's 7000 miles, covers 25 States and we plan on being on the road for 60 days.

We are visiting Yellowstone, Kalispell, Montana (Family), South Beach State Park Oregon (so we can have seen the beach on both sides of the US), Yosemite, Las Vegas, NV, Grand Canyon, Grand Staircase UTAH, Rio Grande National Forest Colorado, Sante Fe NM (not sure what to do here yet), Cowboy Museum Oklahoma. We will be stopping at random places along the way (campgrounds for rest). Hoping to get at least 3 days at each location.

Any recommendations? This is our 1st big road trip. We are not planning on checking in and out at a campground each night. Walmart used to allow overnight parking but I do not think they do any longer. Other than a rest stop does anyone know any well known places that do?
Old 01-30-2016, 01:45 PM   #11

Last fall we traveled over to Glacier Nat. Park in Montana and then to Cody WY.

We stayed at several WalMart's overnight....as it's perfectly OK at many, but not all, WalMarts have to comply with local ordinances on camping in their parking lots. In popular locations, get their early (about 5-6 PM) or difficult to find a spot to park.

Check here:

http://www.elmonterv.com/guide/rv-re...y-information/

RV Parking at Walmart – Walmart Locator

Seems like most rest stops (along interstates) prohibit overnight parking.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:21 PM   #12
APD

Talking Practice laps....

I would suggest a couple of practice runs before you head out. Work out have goes, what stays and any other issues that may crop up.
Hard Labor Creek is close by and has an excellent multiple personality depending on where in the park you decide to camp.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:28 PM   #13

Tressaray, I retired from Caterpillar and traveled out west quite a bit. If you are going through Utah, you need to stop and listen to the Mormon Tab. Choir. If they are in town, they practice on Thursdays (I think) and it is open to the public. You won't forget it! As for Santa Fe, go a little further to Albuquerque, NM. There is a restaurant called High Finance. The food isn't that great but you take a 25 min tram to get to the top of the mountain. If you go, be there on top of the mountain just before sundown. Unbelievable views.