Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2011, 07:24 PM   #1

Default New Fun Finder X-189FBS

Pretty much new to RVing. The only other camper we have owned is a 16' Scamp which will go up for sale shortly.

Bought a new 2011 model. Put our earnest money down with a credit card but haven't picked it up yet due to the weather. Based on what I have read here I need to ensure that the slide out seals properly and that any exterior wall penetrations (lights, windows, etc) are properly sealed before I drive away with it. Anything else?
We will be pulling it with a 2008 GMC 4wd, 5.3L with the Z71 pkg and 3.73s. The dealer will install the load distribution/sway hitch set up as well.

Any tips on transmission cooling, RV setup, or anything else greatly appreciated. I should mention that I will be modifying the audio system as both my wife and I have an appreciation for music so any experience here would also be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Squidly

Squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:25 PM   #2

Picked it up Saturday.

Squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:21 PM   #3

Nice! I started as a rookie last summer, and put in about 14,000 miles with it. Just take your time and try not to make mistakes with it by being in a rush (make sure you're hitched properly, and that you've tied everything down inside before moving, watch for overhead stuff, don't get yourself in situations where you get stuck and have to back out, etc.)

I think one of the things I discovered last year was that all wheel chocks are not created equal...had one situation where the trailer started creeping downhill toward a chain link fence before I got it reattached. (It was sliding over grass.)

Oh, and have fun with it.
guybmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:39 PM   #4

Default Towing the FF-189

Check everything you can think of before leaving the dealer. We discovered a leak in the slide out on our first trip. Dealers are generally pretty heartless once you leave, and the repair may be less than satisfactory. I tow my FF-189 FDS with a Chevy Z71 5.3L. I strongly recommend that you weigh the loaded trailer and tow vehicle before your first trip. your TV is certainly rated to tow the FF, but most of the storage space in the 189 is in the front which can result in a relatively heavy tongue weight. All cargo in the truck bed, optional equipment on the TV, passengers, gasoline, and gear of all kinds contribute to the GVWR. It's easier than you may think to exceed the GVWR. I did it with minimal gear in the FF, but with two mountain bikes, a kayak, a generator, miscellanous gear and a wife in the truck. I was okay going from virgnia to Florida (No hills to speak of.), but I had real trouble from Virginia to the Grand canyon and wound up replacing the differential($2500-ouch!).
Patient and understanding wife
dlhilliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #5

I recomend checking the location of the drain hose storage tube. mine was mounted up between the frame so that it cut the new hose the first time I removed it. This made a sewer sprinkler! mounted a 60" tube across the back. Then angled the short tube down on one end. the short tube now caries two three leg folding stools. I also recomend installing an expantion tank on the water pump as the on and off short cycling of the pump is anoying and not good for the switch or pump motor. A small expantion tank will fit under the bed behind the fridge. You can tee it in with a long braided weter line for a sink. This will alow your pump to cycle intermitently. Enjoy we love ours. PS the outside speekers will make any thing in the cuboards buzz.