Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2018, 08:30 AM   #1

Default New Member

Hi all, another new guy here. We're in the market for a new (to us) TT and have been looking closely at a couple of FunFinders. Right now top on our list is a 2012 214WSD.

It's going to be just my wife and I, mainly 3-4 day trips with a few multi-weekers thrown in from time to time. We're both retired, former liveaboard sailors who moved ashore about 4 years ago. Looking to get out on the road a little now...

SWFL FlyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:55 PM   #2

Welcome to the Club! Is this your first RV? And have you picked out a tow vehicle yet? Be sure to ask lots of questions -- us old-timers like to help newbies avoid the mistakes we have already made.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:53 PM   #3

Thanks for the welcome.

To answer your questions, no and yes. I grew up with MH's and we had one a few years back, but this will be our first TT. We've already got a truck that I use to haul our kayaks and tow my flats boat. I've done my research and know it's capacities and payload and what I can actually tow based on true weights (not the advertised "tow capacity").

We're in negotiations tonight on a 214WSD which looks like it'll be a good fit.

We'll see what happens...

Daz
Old 01-16-2018, 07:58 PM   #4

Welcome and good luck with your purchase. As profdant says, ask away! Look at past posts, there is a lot of info, suggestions and ideas there, and don't forget to ask questions-someone on here will know the answer!
Old 01-17-2018, 10:10 AM   #5

Everything looks good, all systems checked and tested. No signs of water intrusion, solid floors, no delam, no leaks, everything works. All I think we're going to have to do initially will be roof maintenance (seams seal), new gaskets for the two crank-up roof vents and a new set of tires (don't look bad but three are mid 2015 and two are 2014 so I'm going to put a new matched set on). We also need to replace the awning fabric - Basically just what we had already noted and used in our negotiations (awning fabric).

We're picking it up late this afternoon...

(time to edit my profile)
Old 01-17-2018, 01:14 PM   #6

Daz -- maybe look into the new Goodyear Endurance ST tires. I got a set and really like them, and the early reports are favorable. (Of course, if you are an LT person rather than an ST person, there are many other choices.) I go with ST, on the theory that the tire manufacturers have an incentive to provide the safest possible tires, in order to avoid product liability suits. But many other very savvy folks favor LT, so I don't know what to think.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:28 PM   #7

Thanks Dan, she's in our driveway now.

I'll look into the Goodyears. Also interested in any recommendations on a good WD/anti sway hitch setup. Right now we've got a cheap Curt 8k WD with round bars but it is WD only, not really an A/S.

Tires and hitch are the two spots that I don't want to scimp...

2012 FunFinder X-214WSD
2005 F150 FX4
Old 01-18-2018, 07:43 AM   #8

On a WD hitch, I'd suggest the Equal-i-Zer hitch.

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/

They have won the "Trailer Life" readers choice GOLD award again for 5 years in a row as being the best WD hitch on the market by users.

I have the Equal-i-Zer WD hitch and have NEVER experienced any sway.

Happy Camping!
Old 01-18-2018, 08:51 AM   #9

I also use a Equal-i-Zer hitch. I have used the round bars and chains type before, but the Equal-i-Zer hitch is much better, would never go back. Enjoy your new TT.

2015 FunFinder F214WSD
2008 F150 with Triton.
ChasWray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:02 PM   #10

Thanks for the welcome and for the suggestions. Starting the hunt for an Equal-i-zer now. They don't have any dealers within 2-3 hours of me so it looks like will probably be a self-install unless we coordinate a trip near one.

Chas - Do you go with the 1/10k for your 214?

2012 FunFinder X-214WSD
2005 F150 FX4
Old 01-18-2018, 03:48 PM   #11

Yes I have the 1/10k hitch. I have used it for a previous TT also. I installed it on both TTs.
Not hard to install just takes some time and tools (socket wrench, torque wrench etc.). Look at the user manual on their website and then you can judge about installing it yourself.
Charles

2015 FunFinder F214WSD
2008 F150 with Triton.
ChasWray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:27 PM   #12

Ordered mine today (along with some Dicor and a few other misc parts).

Next up, tires and new awning fabric...

2012 FunFinder X-214WSD
2005 F150 FX4
Old 01-19-2018, 05:02 AM   #13

Top three rated TT tires:
1. Michelin
2. Goodyear
3. Maxxis
Old 01-20-2018, 01:20 PM   #14

Been doing more research and price hunting and am down to three different tires (all are 205-75-R14, and all include shipping but not local mount/balance/disposal):

Goodyear Endurance D1 $107.99 each ($50 mail in rebate on set of 4) = $95.49 each

Maxxis M8008 C1 $92 each

Carlisle Radial Trail HD D1 $102 each

Considering these prices, I see no reason to not go with the Goodyears.

Now here's my newest question:

Four or five?
I was planning on buying five, but after looking at the tires I have now I'm wondering if it might be OK to put my best as a spare (Power King TOWMAX STR) since it's only 2-1/2 years old (3115) and has good tread left. Would you spend the extra $120 or so to have a set of five or be good to go with four matched and an OK spare? (they won't get rotated through as I have aluminum wheels except for the spare).

Thanks again.

BTW - I ordered my Equal-i-zer 1/10k hitch yesterday.

2012 FunFinder X-214WSD
2005 F150 FX4
Old 01-20-2018, 03:46 PM   #15

IMO ~ I'd only replace the 4 on the ground and leave the spare* as is since it's only 2.5 year old. I've had my XT276 since 2012 and never used the spare...which is stored under the unit.
I also scrub the tires after each trip & apply 303 Aerospace Protectant. Also use tire covers to reduce dry rot/uv damage from the sun in the summer ~ winter months it's stored indoors.

I'm confident you will be very pleased with your Equal-i-Zer 4 way anti-sway WD hitch. Mine is also the 1/10 & set-up is easy, just follow the instruction sheet. If any questions during set-up/use, just call Equalizer ~ more than helpful over the phone.

*Provided it's the same size and same outside diameter of the new tires.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:52 PM   #16
APD

We're AD (axle deficient ) as we only have one. But if you go with four and should have a flat or curb accident that required a new tire you might want to replace in pairs. If so, you could then rotate the newer undamaged tire to the spare position.
Just a thought.....
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:54 PM   #17

Default well howdy

Hello SWFL,

I seldom check in over here on this forum, but I replied to your thread on rv net yesterday ( I'm the poster who put up the picture of the socket for the trailer hitch ball ).
Welcome to the world of FF trailers and the forum. I have a 189FDS that I'm sitting in now in AZ for the winter ( just west of Tucson ).

Enjoy your funfinder. We here on this forum do wish it was a little more active, but it just doesn't seem to be a really active place. Some good folks here though with a lot of good info and tips on modifications, etc.

gmw

edit, here is my 189FDS at a horse show last year

gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:15 PM   #18

Thanks guys.

As an update to my recent posts:

Tires: I ended up buying four tires and having the best existing (July of 2015 TowMax) moved to the spare. I was going to go with Discount Tire's online entity, but found that Sam's Club had the same price plus a $20 off per tire promo along with free shipping and $9.50 per tire mount/balance/lifetime flat repair/ and 2-year road hazard replacement. With tax and state fees I was out the door for right around $425 for a set of four (including the extra charge for the spare m/b).

Hitch ball issue: We drove down to the Ft. Myers Camping World today and not only did they have the correct socket for my Equali-i-zer ball, they also tightened and torqued it at no charge.

Ordered and received my replacement awning fabric too. Not installed yet but I'll address that in another post in another section of the board soon (just to get some more action here...).

Supposed to be a bit cooler here tomorrow (only upper 70's) and breezy so instead of fishing I think I'm going to do some roof seam cleaning and resealing. Should be a fun day.

2012 FunFinder X-214WSD
2005 F150 FX4
Old 01-26-2018, 08:27 PM   #19

Sounds like you are making great progress.

As for the hitch ball, I purchased a socket so could re-torque the hitch ball once in awhile.

This socket works perfectly and is very reasonable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Most farm implement/heavy equipment shops will have the torque wrench and for a little 'bribe' will re-torque the hitch ball. Only takes a few minutes.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:05 AM   #20

Good to hear you got your hitch ball situation squared away. Looking fwd to hearing your awning fabric fix.

gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote