Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2012, 08:13 PM   #1

Default New owner, with motorcycle race / street use

Hi folks. New XT-276 owner here, which is using his camper for camping and also motorcycle track day / race day use. I also plan to use it for an ATV from time to time. My usual hauler is a 21' enclosed trailer which obviously is a lot roomier, but for overnight hauls the XT will be much nicer.

Anyway, I kitted it out with three Pitbull trailer restraints and a removable Baxter LA chock for bikes that won't fit the restraints (either someone else's bike or something like my motocross bike).

Obligatory pic:

and the bike:

Looking for input on the best way to carry a couple (or more than a couple, ideally 4) bicycles.

Also had a few little issues, big ones are the storage door under the front bed having a too-strong return on it and the shower enclosure pulling away from the wall - still happening, that.

Also, whoever put in the floor tie plates used non-locking nuts and no loctite. WTF? How's that supposed to last?

P.S. I tow with a 2009 6.0L/6spd GMC Sierra (4x4/Z71) with HD cooling and tow package.

P.P.S. the Xtra is a 2012 model with most of the options. May be all of the options, I'm not certain but I like the package.

Shaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #2

Welcome. Nice pics w/toys.

I also have the xt276 and like it. Only haul one bike, HD FLHTCUI in a Condor wheel chock. Works great for me.

I had trouble with the door closures under the bed being to strong too. Easy fix, remove one.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
roy

Welcome!

Pitbull rocks my world in so many ways and has for years.

I have a PitBull restraint in myXT-276 that secures my Yamaha Super Tenere. That was a custom build restraint for me by PitBull. Rode it to their factory in Alabama and they took measurements and built me a restraint. I am too a track hound, raced WERA for 10 years and still do trackdays to date. I'm in transition right now with track riding. I promised the wife we would vacation this year but next year I'm back on track. I bought a '11 GSXR-1000 back first of the year on a deal and just need to track ready it. I really hate it since it's got the short stroke motor but the deal was too good to pass up. I raced on 600's through my novice and expert years with WERA and prefer a 600 better on track. Sold a '07 GSXR600 last year that was Ohlins, Akro, mapped to the max, good bike but I never stay still.

Anyway here is the XT-276 and Super T.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:44 AM   #4

I gotta ask......what is that blue thing wrapped around the front tire with a hose or wire
Old 07-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle
I gotta ask......what is that blue thing wrapped around the front tire with a hose or wire
Tire warmer. It's a much needed item which enables one to hit the track hard on the very first lap instead of waiting two laps or more for the tires to come up to operating temp. In theory it preserves the tires as well.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle
Tire warmer. It's a much needed item which enables one to hit the track hard on the very first lap instead of waiting two laps or more for the tires to come up to operating temp. In theory it preserves the tires as well.
Neat. Learn something every day. Have only been somewhat famaliar with dirt track racing, not asphalt. Then again, that was many years ago and technology moves rapidly.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #7

Default Re: New owner, with motorcycle race / street use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman
Hi folks. New XT-276 owner here,...........Also, whoever put in the floor tie plates used non-locking nuts and no loctite. WTF? How's that supposed to last?

P.S. I tow with a 2009 6.0L/6spd GMC Sierra (4x4/Z71) with HD cooling and tow package.

P.P.S. the Xtra is a 2012 model with most of the options. May be all of the options, I'm not certain but I like the package.
Thank you for mentioning the non-locking nuts/no loctite on the tie downs.

I checked mine and none were loose but they weren't overly snug either. I used blue loctitle and double nutted them.