Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2011, 07:59 PM   #1

Default New owners of a 214 WSD

Bought the Fun Finder 214 WSD about a month ago and tow it with a 2010 Toyota Tacoma with a tow package. Have had it out on a couple of trips here in Oregon and have had zero issues with the trailer or towing it down the road. We had a Blue Ox WD hitch with built in sway control installed and the Toyota pulls it great. No sway and easy to maintain 70 mph going down the freeway.

I will be putting the truck to the test this weekend, going up to Odell Lake, about 4000 ft elevation with some nice hills along the way. I'll post an update when we return.

Look forward to learning more about these trailers, this is our second trailer and we just traded in a motorhome for this one. I like the idea of having a vehicle once we get to camp.

bagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:36 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy many great trips with your new rig. One word of caution though... Your trailer's tires are only speed rated to 65 mph at maximum inflation. The tires can self-destruct if run consistantly at high speeds, under-inflated, over-loaded; either of those singly, or any combination of them.

An example: I am now sitting in a campground in Kerrville, TX. I was cruising down I-10 at 63mph, enjoying the countryside and getting passed by everyone on the highway (speed limit is 80 cars, 70 trucks). I noticed a U-Haul truck with a car on a car hauler trailer coming up rapidly behind me...he was doing his best to do 70+ mph. He did storm right by me in the passing lane and as he came up on my rear quarter, I heard a slapping sound coming from his rig. One of his tires on the car hauler trailer self destructed and was proceeding to tear his car hauler's fender off as he passed me, blinker on, struggling to get over to the side of the road. I immediately slowed down to let him over and as he got close to the shoulder he nailed his brakes, smoke from the last good trailer tire on that side and then that one let go in a hail of debris. He managed to keep control, but, suffered severe trailer damage, damage to the side of the car on the hauler and two destroyed tires and wheels. I tow at max inflation (check it visually at every stop and with a tire guage every 4 days) and always less than 65 mph and keep the tires covered when parked for any length of time. Currently have almost 38,000 miles on my "Chinese junk" Duro Radials and they still look good. Speed, loading and inflation. Mind them and you'll be far happier and safer. Your tires are all that stand between your fun vacation and utter disaster.

Cautionary instruction now over Keep it safe and sane and you'll enjoy many pleasurable miles and happy memories.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote