Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2011, 09:39 AM   #1

Default New SC Owners - Warranty/service?

Hi - when we saw the floorplan for the new 280QBH on-line it looked perfect for our family and upon inspection at the RV show in Calgary that was confirmed. We have ordered our new unit (from the States - despite suggestion that CDN pricing was now competitive - not true on this one) and it should be here in about 2 weeks! As previous owners of 2 different Trail-Cruisers (and with good luck on these) we're just wondering about general comments on service and warranty work with SC? Should we consider an extended warranty? Figured current owners of trailers from this manufacturer would know best!

Also - any Canadians that have also imported - any trouble getting warranty issues sorted out from Canadian dealers?

Thanks!

TT: 11 Shadow Cruiser 280QBS
TV: 08 Ford Expedition LTD
shacorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:42 PM   #2

Can't speak to importing into our Northern Brother's Land, but, I, for one, am not a "believer" in extended warranties.

I've found that a manufacturer's original warranty is enough and it is "free". Any company that issues extended warranties is gambling that you will not use their services or certainly not in an amount that exceeds what you paid them. Like gambling, the house always wins. No ifs, ands, or buts, they are in business to earn a profit. Do you need one? No. Will it pay for some bizarre expense in the future? Maybe, but, more than likely not. You need to read all the fine print, several times and think long and hard about what they do and don't cover and whether you can pay up front a fee that will more than cover a smaller fee for fixing something later. Their fee will be set to allow them to make a profit for multiple failures...you may never even suffer a single failure that they would cover.

Can you afford $700, two years from now, to fix something or do you pay (gamble) $1500 now to maybe cover a $700 repair bill in two years...[/i]

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:59 PM   #3

Well said! Appreciate the insight and the great site here - tonnes of good perspective and know-how. All the best and happy camping.

TT: 11 Shadow Cruiser 280QBS
TV: 08 Ford Expedition LTD
shacorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:19 AM   #4

Default Buying in U.S.

We just purchased a 260BHS in southern On.
The difference in price for us was just over $1000.00 cheaper in the U.S. In our opinion not worth the hassle of driving to the border to pick it up. 5hr drive each way to Detroit.
As to the warranty I can speak from experience that you will get warranty work done but you will be at the absolute end of the line.
Any dealer will look after their own customers first none customers second and U.S. purchases dead last.

You have bought the trailer my wife wanted but our vehicle is a bit too undepowered to pull it.
Good luck.
landshark27 is offline   Reply With Quote