Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2017, 01:09 PM   #1

Default New to FunFindersclub

Hello All:
My name is James (jimlp1) just joined here in hopes of finding some people who may have experienced or have dealt with a Broken Rubber Torsion Axle on a Shadow Cruiser 5th Wheel Trailer. Mine is a 1991 Model M-21, 21 foot long with Tandem Axles. 14" tires, MGVW is 3600 Lbs.
Previous owner states he had the Brakes disconnected. While traversing a rather large mountain (6% grade) at the summit, tire began smoking according to passers by, soon after which the axle snapped and the tire, brake drum and torsion arm plummeted down the Mountain side. It sheared off about 2" away from the Trailer frame, Approximately where the Torsion Arm fastens to the axle. He then drove 30 MPH back to Alamogordo, NM and abandoned the trailer.
Briefly the Trailer is in great shape except for the broken Axle, I bought it used. Two days ago I removed the broken axle from the trailer frame. Four bolt heads at 3/4" and also the nuts. Two bolts on each side/Drivers/Passengers. I bought a 4.5" electric grinder and I cleared 25 years of rust off each Hexagonal flat surface seeking a Print #, none found..!
Owners Manual states that the Axles are/were made by AL-KO, Inc. I do have one of their Order forms with diagrams and I've filled in all the Measurements except for the Mounting Brackets because there is no options for bracket sizes or the mounting (bolt holes) shown on the Order form.
On the Internet, there are several Sources/Places in which to order new or replacement Axles..! Like Dexter, AL-KO, Axle, Inc. etc. Would like to know if anyone has had this experience and if so could they please contact me or reply to this message with any/all advice....? Thanks in Advance....
James.

jimlp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:53 PM   #2

I think you could go with just about any axle manufacturer. I think that some of the current Cruiser RV/FunFinders have axle assemblies made by Lippert. With the right measurements they could probably fabricate you a replacement.

runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:44 PM   #3

Default Runner421

Thanks for the reply to my intro.....! =)
I've contacted Cruiser RV they were not very helpful, slow response time, in fact, I had to ask them twice within 2 weeks before I got a reply.... and then they had no record of my VIN # at all.....
James..
Old 03-12-2017, 07:27 PM   #4

Welcome! Too bad to hear about their service. Pretty sure any other manufacturer could fit perfectly. Hope someone who've done this before would chime in.
microJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:33 PM   #5

I would suggest calling a dealer to get an estimate -- that will let you know what the dealer would order to fix your trailer. You could then contact that supplier and see if this is a job you want to tackle on your own. If you are a very handy person, I bet you could do this on your own. Good luck! I would also bet that when all is said and done, and this trailer is fixed up, you will have gotten a great bargain.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:33 PM   #6

Default MicroJ

Thanks for the input..... No problem on this end, just tired of dealing with people who dont care, they try to sell me a new RV....!
Thanks again...
James.....
Old 03-12-2017, 08:57 PM   #7

Default profdant139

Hi..!
Thanks for your reply..! I am very handy & mechanically inclined, I have to be, I can not afford to pay someone else to do it on Social Security Retirement. I've already pulled the broken axle out from under the trailer, left the rear one intact to help support the weight. Plus it's setting on 4 jack stands 3 tons each....shouldn't fall over, I hope.....! =) I'm emailing Axle, Inc. tonight for an estimate and there's two local dealers here, 1's an RV Shop and the other sells all kinds of trailers like flat-bads, cargo, etc... he said he could me an axle also.... I was hoping to find someone who has been through this before. Dexter axles sounded good but I've also heard some horror stories about them and recalls....! Not sure I want to deal with them....?
James...
Old 07-26-2017, 02:43 PM   #8

Angry Update to Original Intro Post

Hello All:
Well, here it is July and $499.72 later I've got 1 Axle replaced...! 1 down and 1 to go..! Since March it was one hassle after another, not fun. But after the new one arrived it presented more problems. However, I dealt with it and it's installed ready to go, except for new tires.
On the lighter side, I run into a Window problem. There's 7 windows in this rig with torx type crank out/in louvered glass panes. Some have 2 panes of glass others have 3 panes (larger windows). A lot of the cranks just seem to spin around and do nothing to opening or closing the windows. I think the Windows were made by Hehr..? They have rounded corners or radius corners, as some say. Would anyone know if these are repairable..? Can parts be obtained anywhere..? I'd appreciate any and all comments....!
Thanks in advance....! =)
James.....
Old 07-26-2017, 03:05 PM   #9

I don't know about the windows, but what tires are you considering? Check out the new Goodyear Endurance -- much beefier than the Marathons (which I liked), and made in the USA! I put a set on my trailer -- after over 2000 miles of towing, so far, so good!
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:22 PM   #10

Default profdant139

I was looking at Taskmaster Providers ST205/75R14's at etrailer.com, they have a good rep and a good price. But Being on Social Security I can't afford the best like a lot of folks........ As it stands right now, I have to buy per month if that...... Thanks for the reply though.....! =) Have a good day....
Old 07-27-2017, 10:12 AM   #11
Site Team

You're jalousie windows should be repairable. There are quite a few online places where you can get replacement parts. Although the first thing I would check, if you haven't already, is to see if there is a set screw on the window crank that has come loose and is letting the crank slip on the shaft.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:52 PM   #12

Default Ljaz..

Thanks for the reply; It's not loose screws or anything to do with Cranks, these actually have roundish knobs w/indents for placing your fingers while turning. There's actually a Machine Screw through the center of the knobs that secure it to the shaft. But I do know what you're referring to, the only thing thats slipping is inside the gear boxes.... I did find a Hehr Windows site but the parts are available from ParKin Acc.com... there's window diagrams on the site and I can see my Windows there, 1 is 8701 the others are 8702... I left a message yesterday evening, on the site is states that one may have to pull the Window to get the factory # of the window frame....?
James...
Old 07-28-2017, 10:23 AM   #13
Site Team

Good thing is it doesn't sound like your problem is with the window but the crank mechanism. Stripped gear maybe. Hopefully the site can help you through it.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:56 PM   #14

We got our axle at etrailer. Best price we could find and Hubby changed it out pretty quickly.

Marti is offline   Reply With Quote