Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
vb

Default New to it all!!!

Wow!! Dry camp, full hookups, boondocking, stinky slinky, stick house, slider,
diesel pusher, TT to name a few - I didn't know I was going to learn another language with this grand adventure. We are a retired couple living on the central coast of California and love to travel. We decided the Fun Finder X-189 experience might be a fun adventure for us.

We had our maiden voyage a couple of weeks ago to Lake Lopez near Arroyo Grande. All was going well until we had to park!! I discovered not to make up words to explain to my husband what he was doing while attempting to park, like say 'jack-knife', not 'making a crinkly'. Although, at one point in the leveling exercise I told him I was going to sell the darn thing and for him not to be in it as I wanted a good price!! After the dust settled, we had a great time. The folks we bought our Fun Finder from were terrific in taking time to explain to us the inner workings of the TT. They were actually brave enough to give us their phone number too!!

We are open to any and all suggestions of where to travel. We are planning on going to the Eastern Sierras in September. We've been there 3 times in our truck so are excited to take our new 'baby'.

vb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:53 PM   #2

Welcome to the FF forum. We also have a FF x-189 ours is the FBR model that has no slide out. In our very rainy area, a slide out is not a good thing.

I can help a little with the lingo.

TT - usually means travel trailer, but sometimes means Tow Truck if you use a truck to tow your FF. It can also mean a tow truck service. We once had a wheel fall right off our TT so we had to call a TT to T our TT to Les Schwab to get it fixed. This did not happen to our FF it was a previous TT fondly called a KC.

TV - usually means Tow Vehicle, not television. If someone suggests that you mount your bicycles on the TV don't try to stick them inside the FF on the TV. They won't fit in that small cabinet.

BOONDOCKING - usually means camping out on your own in some remote area or in town in a sneaky place. Most of our camping has been boondocking in remote areas. No hookups when boondocking. Funny... most campers are sold using pictures of people who are boondocking in some beautiful area but they are used mostly in crowded RV parks lined up in little rows.

HOOKUPS - means a place to plug in to electricity, water, and sewer in any combination. It does not mean a casual meeting of romantically inclined individuals .

DRY CAMP - can mean a camp with no bon-fire, or more often, a camp with no hookups. It may or may not involve boondocking.

Diesel Pusher - You don't have one. Its one of those big bus like campers with a diesel engine in the rear. You will pass them at the gas station. You will probably never encounter one while boondocking. The best TV is a diesel...we have a Jeep diesel and get 15.6 MPG while towing. Its not a pusher.

Stick House - Sometimes refers to a tent. It can also mean a TT that has wood framing instead of aluminum like your FFx. Other times it just refers to the residence of the 2nd pig in the traditional story. He did not fair well. We spent our 2nd anniversary camping in a crude stick house at a hot, swampy campground in Florida. About 11PM, some guy in a big diesel pusher pulled up and camped right beside us, like 10 feet away. There were no hookups so he ran his noisy generator all night so he could operate his AC while we hid from mosquitoes with our sleeping bags pulled over our heads. Sleep was impossible. The next morning we were covered with chiggers. That night we decided get a TT when we could afford it.

Stinky Slinky - I'm not too sure about this one.... maybe it is one of those collapsible sewer line holders that you see being used by Diesel Pushers and other big rigs at the "Camper's Lineup" type of RV park. You never use one when boondocking.

Backing Up!! - We all have stories. Practice a lot and learn how to use your MIRRORS instead of turning your head around to see where you are going. Always survey the scene on foot first to get a full understanding of what your target looks like. Roll your windows down so you can hear your wife when she yells at you. Tell her to use simple one word commands... like STOP!!! I once tore the AC unit right off of our KC while backing into our trailer port. We since have raised the roof of the trailer port.

SHORE - I think this is another work for a hookup. It is not a boating term.

Hope this helps

Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:31 PM   #3

vb, you are going to LOVE this trailer and the whole trailering thing. We were utter newbies when we started trailering in our 50s -- no clue how to back up, no idea how to do all of the various chores. All of this can easily be learned with patience, humor, and asking a lot of questions -- this whole learning curve is so much better than it used to be before the internet! Your life is going to change, and in a very good way.

There are no dumb questions -- ask!

Eastern Sierras in September -- Bishop Creek, perhaps?

See this blog post:

Look, Mom, We're Camping!: Aspens and Snow: Bishop Creek, October 2011
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:17 PM   #4
APD

Question

I can't figure out the dates on this thread. vb posted this in 2010?

And all the other posts (7) by vb are from 2010.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:54 PM   #5

How funny! I did not even notice the date. These folks are probably old pros by now.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
How funny! I did not even notice the date. These folks are probably old pros by now.
I didn't notice it either, in fact, I was sent an email with a link to this post....weird! I'll check the date next time before running off at the mouth.
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:18 AM   #7
APD

Question

Yeah guys it was a highlighted as a new post when I first saw it. That was before y'all had posted. What caught my eye was the join date.
Oh well, I wonder what happened to the original replies???
For that matter I wonder if vb is still enjoying the FF.
Let's hope so........

Alan

1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote