Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2020, 07:09 PM   #1

Default New to me 2016 Fun Finder 229 VSD

Hi all

I am so excited we just purchased a slightly used 2016 Fun Finder 229 VSD !!!! It looked in great condition. Since it is winter we left it at the RV dealership until March 30, 2021. Then we will pick it up after they go through it and verify everything is good.

Can’t wait. We love the layout with the beautiful kitchen at the front in the V. It makes for lots of counter space. Also love the rear bed room with the queen bed, the stove and oven, separate freezer, large fridge, and the pull out. The led lighting is cool !!! Can’t wait to try it out.

I may have to put a couple of new tires on it. One was in OK shape. But a little worn.

Also the guy used some caulking at the top and bottom of the tub surround. But I don’t think he used the correct caulk. Am I supposed to caulk the top edge and the bottom edge where it meets the tub ? Someone told me that the bottom edge is supposed to not have any caulking on it on some units ? I thought it should be. I was going to cut the old stuff out and put in new bathroom silicone.

kmeindin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 09:53 AM   #2

Welcome, and congratulations! Where will you go on your first big trip? Is this your first RV? If so, ask lots of questions.

Let's talk about tires. There is a code on your tires that indicates the date of manufacture. Not sure where it is, but Google will tell you.

If the tires are more than 5 years old, replace them.

I'd recommend the new Goodyear Endurance -- very rugged.

Good luck!!

Old 12-12-2020, 10:26 AM   #3

Thank you so much for the reply!!!!

It’s not my first trailer. I am 63 years old and about two years away from retirement. I work for a oilfield company so I have some mechanical repair experience and for now a shop that I can pull into to complete larger repair projects. We wanted a bigger trailer since we will be spending more time in it. The found the Fun Finder 229 VSD !!! We love the layout with the big kitchen in the V part in the front, the slide out, the large dry bath, and the separate bedroom in the back. My wife really wanted the bedroom in the back.

We had a small Trillium fibreglass trailer was our first when the kids were small. It was OK but didn’t have a washroom. But it was all we could afford at the time. Then we bought a 1980 Holiday 14’ trailer and used that for years. It had a galvanized metal room and underbelly. Then I bought a Camp Lite Livin Lite aluminum 16 QBB trailer that I just sold. It’s still on my driveway until the new owner picks it up.

I had Goodyear Marathon tires on my old trailer and was very happy with them. So I really appreciate the recommendation for the Goodyear Endurance. I don’t know the brand name on the tires that are on the trailer now and since two are worn (one more than the other) and two are good I will put new ones on. I don’t like fooling around I want good rubber on the trailer.

I am also going to buy a Curt TruTrack Weight Distribution hitch. It’s a better design than the old Reese weight distribution hitch I have with chains. It has the bars that go into a bracket system that’s attached to the frame of the trailer.

I have lots of questions so I was hoping I could get some help on this forum. So thank you !!!!
Old 12-12-2020, 10:37 AM   #4

I have a 2012 Chev Avalanche truck right now to tow with. It is 4 x 4 LT w/ 1SD. It has the trailering package K5L heavy duty cooling package for trailering. So from what I can find it can tow 7,900 lbs.

From the specs I can find on the trailer it looks like it is 5,000 lbs. So if we load another 1,000 lbs in it I should still be OK. It is a company truck but most likely they will sell it to me when I retire but it will probably have about 250,000 KM by then. They redid the motor at 83,000 KM so it should be OK for a while. If not I will buy a new truck in two years. Probably a Toyota Tundra or Ford F-150 since they seem to be rated highest. I wanted a trailer I could tow with a 1\2 ton truck.
Old 12-12-2020, 11:42 AM   #5

Well, based on your extensive trailer history and your skill set, I'm guessing you will be answering more questions than you ask! Not many of the folks on this forum have as much experience as you do. (I certainly don't.)

But feel free to ask us anyway -- there might be a few tips and tricks we can share.

Wow, Edmonton is just a hop and a skip away from the Rockies -- otherwise known as Camping Heaven. It takes me a week of hard driving to get to your backyard. . But we make that trip whenever we can.
Old 12-12-2020, 11:46 AM   #6

We go to the Rocky Mountains whenever we can. Is about 4 to 4.5 hours from our house. It is so beautiful !! We love to camp there, hike, and mountain bike.
Old 12-13-2020, 03:13 PM   #7

I second the GoodYear Endurance tires as put them on my toy hauler last spring. The trailer pulls easier and has less sway from wind/road surface variations. Super pleased with them.

Not familiar with the Curt WD hitch set-up. When I researched a WD hitch, I opted for the Equalizer and couldn't be happier. Equalizer hitch has won Trailer Life magazine Readers Choice Gold Award from some 9 years in row. The 4 way built in sway control is excellent! https://www.equalizerhitch.com/ The only hitch that may be better is the Hensley Hitch. https://hensleymfg.com/ Regardless, your choice.

For what it's worth .. would never buy a Tundra truck. Neighbor had one and it would never pass a gas station without stopping. lOL
Old 12-13-2020, 08:19 PM   #8

I have always owned Chev trucks. I have a 2012 Chev Avalanche now. I just worry about the quality now. They used to be good trucks. On my Avalanche they redid the motor at 85,000 KM. It has been good since. It has 205,000 KM.

The number one rated truck when I was researching was the Ford F150 then the Toyota Tundra. I have heard the Tundra is hard on gas but the motor is supposed to last a long time. Toyota is redesigning the Tundra. So by the time I need one who knows.

The Curt TruTrack Weight Distribution hitch looks the same as the Equalizer Hitch.

https://www.curtmfg.com/weight-distr...tches/trutrack
Old 12-13-2020, 08:48 PM   #9

Yes, with minor differences, the Curt and Equalizer are similiar so may work equally as well.

Have a Merry Christmas.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:53 PM   #10

You too... Have a Merry Christmas !!!!!
Old 12-15-2020, 06:59 PM   #11

Well I bought one of the Curt TruTrack Weight distribution hitch today. The guy at the shop recommended the 10,000 lb. model. PN 17501. He has to order me longer brackets to bolt to the frame. I am going to need the 8” brackets it comes with 6” brackets. I went and measured the frame today and it is 6” high x 2” wide but where the brackets are going there is the frame for the batteries. So it makes it more like 7 1/2” high. He is throwing in the longer brackets. I am going to install it myself at my shop once I pick up the trailer.
Old 12-16-2020, 12:04 PM   #12

If the owners manual on installation is similar to the Equalizer .. installation should be no problem and torque the bolts to spec will avoid issues later.
I use the 10,000 lb bars on my set-up.
Hint: Check the L brackets a few times a year to assure they haven't moved from the bars pushing on them.

PS: When truck shopping, don't discount the Dodge Ram out of hand - they are a well made product IMO.
Old 12-16-2020, 01:26 PM   #13

Thanks. I will mark the brackets when I install them so I will know if the move.

I have been watching these videos my son told me about. This mechanic Scott. He really likes Toyota. For his truck ratings he says the Ford F150 then the Toyota Tundra.

But I am not sure really what is the best. We run Chev trucks for years at the oilfield company I work at and they have been pretty good I thought. I see a lot of guys using the Doge Ram with the Hemi engine for towing. I will have to check into them as well.
Old 12-16-2020, 02:19 PM   #14

When I purchased my 2012 toy hauler from the dealer some 300 miles away, I had a Ram 1/2 ton with the hemi and used it for several years with no issues.
When updating, found a deal on the Ram 2500 w/Rambox option so got it. I love the Rambox option for carrying tools and misc items that would normally float around in the cab or truck box. And the 6.4 hemi at 410 HP does an outstanding job.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:43 PM   #15

Wow 410 Hp cool !!! The rambox is great !! Same as my Avalanche I like having side compartments for tools etc.

So they have been reliable, that's great. How many miles have you driven them ? Are they OK on gas ? As much as a truck can be.
Old 12-17-2020, 12:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmeindin View Post
Wow 410 Hp cool !!! The rambox is great !! Same as my Avalanche I like having side compartments for tools etc.

So they have been reliable, that's great. How many miles have you driven them ? Are they OK on gas ? As much as a truck can be.
Like you, rather mechanically inclined and am a certified master mechanic along with other things.

When I got my 2012 toy hauler, I was driving a 2004 Ram 1500 w/5.7 Hemi - traded off on the current 2014 Ram 2500 w/6.4 Hemi.

Other than routine maintenance before trading the 1500 with around 80,000 miles, replaced two Oxygen sensors - about $20 each - changed them myself, super simple and easy. No major component issues.

The 2500 has around 50,000 miles and have done nothing other than routine maintenance. No issues with major components - engine, tranny, etc.

The 1500 would get just shy of 18 MPG empty at 75mph and about 11/12 MPG pulling the camper at 65 mph.

The 2500 gets about 15 MPG empty at 75mph and around 11/12 pulling the camper at 65 mph.

Here is a recent comparison between the ford 3/4 ton and the Ram 3/4 ton you like to read. https://tfltruck.com/2020/07/ram-250...pg-comparison/

I've driven older Dodge pickups close to 100,000 miles with only routine maintenance .. and a 1 ton Dodge wrecker near 120,000 miles - again only regular maintenance. The owner of the wrecker would usually run around 100 MPH empty or towing a car. That thing was a beast!
Old 12-17-2020, 12:40 PM   #17

Of course, if you like horsepower ... you can go for a Ram 1500 TRX with 702 horsepower and 650 ft. lbs. of torque.

https://tfltruck.com/2020/12/2021-ra...y-first-truck/

PS: And a healthy bank account.
Old 12-17-2020, 09:29 PM   #18

With all of them you need a healthy bank account !!! lol.

I am just thinking right now and doing research. I am still probably two years out before I buy.

Thanks for the info !!!
Old 12-17-2020, 09:45 PM   #19

You are correct, none of them are cheap anymore regardless of brand/model.

I like to find them one or two years old with super low miles .. have to look long and hard but they do turn up if not in a rush .. and let the first owner take it in the shorts.

The 2014 Ram I bought on the internet from a dealer in Massachusetts and had it shipped via truck to my door for $550. For that amount, I couldn't begin to travel there and drive it home.
Old 12-18-2020, 10:52 PM   #20

Yes that's kind of what I have been looking around at.