Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2016, 09:43 PM   #1

Default New to me FF

Just purchased a 2005 16 ft. FF. Loving it, putting all my camping gear in so I can go camping Memorial week-end. Just one problem, the wiring harness is round, my vehicle has flat plug. Was told I could get an adapter, camping store said I need vehicle rewired to the tune of over $600. Ouch......HELP? Tomorrow I plan to go to Auto Zone, they have some listed on website. Or maybe Ill start at Harbor Freight? Looking forward to learning from you all and maybe meeting up with some of you at camping outings.

PAS in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:41 AM   #2

Your trailer has brakes. So you will need a brake controller wired to your vehicle to help stop the trailer, that is wired to the round plug you need to have installed to your tow vehicle. The flat plug only turns on lights no braking.

F_FT139_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:16 AM   #3

what type of truck are you pulling it with? I never added the brake controller when I was pulling a 19 ft camper, wouldn't think a 16 would be heavy enough to need brakes on the camper.
generh6957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:17 AM   #4

I could be wrong, but I think brakes on a trailer are required by law. Otherwise, on a downhill, when you hit the brakes on the truck, the trailer could keep going and swing out to the side. So a brake controller is a really good idea, to make sure that the trailer brakes appropriately. The controller settings can be adjusted when you install it, and it is not hard to do that.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:48 AM   #5
Site Team

It depends on the weight and the state. Some states require brakes at 3000 lbs and some at 5000. Then again some states require brakes if the trailer is equipped with them. Regardless, they are a good idea. $600 is crazy to install a 7 wire plug though. What truck do you have? Most trucks should be prewired to accept a brake controller. Check etrailer.com and you should be able to find what you need for a lot less.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:03 AM   #6

Default Safety

So-better to have brakes and have them connected because going downhill or a quick stop at a red light is too late to wish you had them.
The plug (round one) has the connections necessary to activate your trailer's brakes whenever you push the brake pedal in your tow vehicle. I think this is with or without a brake controller.
A separate brake controller can be added in the process so that the brakes are proportionately applied to the trailer based on the weight of the trailer vice the tow vehicle.
Seriously - shop around - get connected - be safe.
And have fun after that.
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:20 PM   #7

Thanks for the info. I bought the wiring kit I need and my mechanic is going to wire it, a lot cheaper than $600. Once I understood this was the way to make the brakes work, was in. Can't wait to take the camper n our first camping trip.

PAS in FL is offline   Reply With Quote