Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2017, 11:05 AM   #1

Default New to rv 2009 ff x 160

Hello all, just got my first tt, 2009 fun finder x 160. Just me and the wife with a 2 year old. Was thinking of replacing the 20 lbs propane tank with a 30, it already has a solar panel rigged up, we will be doing mostly dry camping at provincial parks on the west coast of Canada

Shogilvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:07 PM   #2

Welcome!! You may not need a larger tank -- you will be amazed at how little propane the fridge takes. The furnace is the real propane hog, but you may not need that much (except during shower time).

What kind of batteries do you have, and how old are they? For extended boondocking or dry camping, I use two group 31 batteries. My 120 watt solar panel usually keeps them fully charged, but I camp in very sunny places -- not sure if the west coast of Canada gets as much sun. Where on the west coast do you live?

Make sure never to let your batteries get down below 12.1 volts -- otherwise, their useful lives will be much shorter than if they are kept fully charged as much as possible.

Also, since this is your first trailer, be sure to ask lots of questions. We were all newbies once upon a time.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:42 PM   #3

Not sure of the battery setup but I believe it is one battery and was replaced a year and a half ago. Haven't used a voltmeter much but is it as simple as placing it on the battery terminal to get your outgoing voltage?
Shogilvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:21 PM   #4

Yes -- it is that easy. Touch the red lead to the positive, and black to negative.

One minor trick -- you can't really get an accurate reading of the state of charge if you take the reading right after using the pump or the furnace. Wait a while -- maybe 15 minutes? Some folks say an hour, but I have found that I do not need to wait that long.

Some folks also have built in voltmeters -- really handy! I don't -- I just step outside and whip out the cheap little multi-meter. Be sure to set it on the 20 volt setting, so that the result makes sense (12 volts, not .012 volts when you put it on the wrong setting). Please don't ask me how I learned this tip.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:50 PM   #5

Welcome! I don't know much about the 160, but others here will chime in. The propane goes a lot further than you think it will. We have two tanks and like it because then we don't have to go without propane when one tank runs out. I don't know if you have room for two tanks though.
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote