Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2018, 10:21 AM   #21

Hi Silverado,
Sounds like y'all had fun on that trip. We would like to make a trip out to Washington State (Silverdale/Bremerton) area sometime this year. Not sure what would be the best time of year. I am dealing with a 24 foot FunFinder and a GMC 1500, so I am a bit concerned with mountains between Fl and Wa. Any thoughts on route to take?

Old 03-06-2018, 10:34 AM   #22

Wife didn't like the chilly floor either so she selected an area rug that covers most of the lino when the slide is out....great colors and enriches the interior appearance so a nice accessory item.

You know how it is; "If momma ain't happy, no one is happy"

Old 03-06-2018, 07:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Hi Silverado,
Sounds like y'all had fun on that trip. We would like to make a trip out to Washington State (Silverdale/Bremerton) area sometime this year. Not sure what would be the best time of year. I am dealing with a 24 foot FunFinder and a GMC 1500, so I am a bit concerned with mountains between Fl and Wa. Any thoughts on route to take?
These trucks now a days are pretty fool proof. The computers will protect them from damage. I have pulled some pretty good hills with my 21 footer. I just try to travel early in the coolest part of the day and leave my Drivers Information Center on the transmission temperature and keep an eye on it. Hardest thing on transmissions is excessive shifting. My truck is pretty capable with a 9100 lb towing capacity and our trailer is 4000 lbs by the time I am loaded up it pulls the trailer quite easily. Mountains are not a huge worry I like traveling the middle of May myself.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:44 AM   #24

Thanks for the info. I remember one time while stationed in Bremerton Wa, we went for a picnic at the waterfront. Almost froze to death. This Florida couple don't like really cool weather. Thanks again.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:08 PM   #25
N&K

Send a message via AIM to N&K

Hi Chief,

I am at the other end of the country, Oregon.

In terms of best time to camp, I will camp during March - November. If I were tent camping, I would go late June thru mid-October, there's less rain to contend with.

Best route to take is dependent on a number of things, how direct a route you want, time you have to travel, size of engine you have in your GMC. I pull a trailer a couple of feet longer than yours, but similar weight, pulled with a Toyota Tundra, 5.7 liter engine. The most direct route by freeway shouldn't be a problem for your rig. Going through South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, northern Washington is good highway with a couple of hills in Montana/Idaho and Washington, east of Seattle. Last time I traveled that road, I had no problems. More scenic routes are available if you have the time. So much to see and do between your place and mine. The covered wagons forged a lot of the side roads so they shouldn't be too bad .

If you have specific questions about parts of your trip feel free to ask.

Norm
Old 03-10-2018, 03:44 PM   #26

Hi N&K,
Thanks for the info. I traveled once from Sunnyvale Ca to Silverdale Wa, up, what is that highway, 5? Some scary downhill grades in a car, I wouldn't want to try it with my rig. I have a 5.3 with towing package but still only 2WD. Pretty heavy truck at 6100 Lbs and good brakes on truck and trailer so it may not be so bad. I would like to spend a week or two going from Fl to WA. Definitely would like to see as much as I can. I would love to hit as many National Parks as I could. Love to visit Mt. Rushmore. I'll definitely be throwing questions back as time gets closer to a possible trip. We had planned to go out to a place here locally called Otter Springs. Each year they host Suwannee River Country Music Jam. Usually a big draw for country music fans. But weather forecasts are kind of chilly at night. They have a heated pool there, but the folks said it only heats up about 20 degrees warmer than ambient. At 38 degrees, that wouldn't be too pleasant. Thanks again, Charlie
Old 03-10-2018, 04:25 PM   #27

Hi Chief,

Given you have time on your way to Washington and passing thru the Black Hills of SD to visit Mt. Rushmore, a few suggestions as have been there many times.
* IF on I-90, visit The Badlands ... it's a 'drive thru' park and also stop at Wall Drug, an interesting place to visit for free.
* Visit the Crazy Horse monument in the Black Hills, not far from Mt. Rushmore. If you don't want to pay and drive in, you can easily see the huge carving from the highway. Some road in the Black Hills are OK with an RV and some are not, lots of twists and turns. I'd park the trailer and travel the hills in the tow vehicle only. Sometimes parking spaces are hard to find.
* To avoid lots of traffic in the Black Hills, avoid August...the 3rd - 12th is the Annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally & Race: Sturgis Motorcycle Rally 2018 - Concerts, Music Festival and any RV space in a campground will hard to find. Over 1/2 million motorcycles plus regular visitors!!
* Going west from the Black Hills, a stop at Devils Tower in Wyoming is worthwhile.
* And don't miss the place of General Custers Last Stand: https://www.nps.gov/libi/learn/histo...le-bighorn.htm located right long the highway w/parking space for RV's (no camping)
* Going further west, a side trip into Yellowstone National Park shouldn't be passed up. Again, get a campground and drive the tow vehicle thru the park...turns/twists/steep inclines and traffic on mostly 2 lane roads.
* Further west on the interstate, a side trip to Kalispell Wyoming will get you near the "Going to the sun highway" ~ an awesome drive WITHOUT the camper.
Map of Kalispell, MT and Gillette, WY

Just a few suggestions for your consideration.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:38 AM   #28
APD

Smile

Hi Chief.
You mentioned Otter Springs, we camped near there last month at Suwanee River Hideaway near Old Town. Went to the Fiddler Crab Festival in Steinhatchee, checked out the Yellow Jacket RV resort and then loafed over to Indian Pass CG near Port Saint Joe.
We were in our little campervan, spent a couple of weeks just investigating spots for future FunFinder trips when the snowbirds fly north.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:37 PM   #29

Hi APD,
Great! Glad to hear someone else visiting our local area. We ended up not going at the time we had previously set since the weather turned off a little chilly. My wife was really looking forward to swimming in their heated pool. But when we talked to the owners, they said their pool only made it about 20 degrees above ambient. When ambient overnight got down in the 30's, it didn't seem too good. They were great though, gave us a credit so basically we get to reschedule with no extra cost for the first night, plus they offer military discount. Looking forward to staying there in the future.
Charlie
Old 03-17-2018, 06:38 PM   #30

Thanks Eagle, some great info on times of year and spots to check out. Looking forward to the trip.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:42 PM   #31

Found a bit of a problem today. A bubble has appeared on the left side just above the storage door. It runs about a foot or so long vertically and five to six inches wide. Not very noticeable right now but I'm afraid it will grow. Any ideas of how to fix this? I have thought about injecting some kind of glue and using a laminate roller to roll it out. Not sure what kind of glue though. I really like the smooth side so this could be a real problem. Thanks for any help.