Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Club Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-27-2019, 12:28 PM   #1

Talking Newbies-2002 T139-Richmond,VA

I'm so so happy to have stumbled across this site, it has already been incredibly helpful!

We finally got tired of the hassles of tent camping and after about a year long search for the perfect tiny camper, we are picking up our "new to us" 2002 T139 tonight!

Her interior needs a little makeover but she is in excellent shape otherwise. Can't wait to start working on her and can't wait for our maiden voyage next month!

Now on the hunt for the perfect gently used tow vehicle so we don't have to borrow my parent's every time we want to go on an adventure!!!

RantucketT139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:11 PM   #2

Welcome!! A 2002? That is quite a testament to how well those units were built. Our first trailer was a 2003 T-139 -- we loved it so much that we eventually ordered a 2012 X-139.

Since this is your first RV, be sure to ask lots of questions! We were all newbies once, and it is fun to help other folks avoid the misteaks we have made.

Here are links to my blogs -- the first one is about our trips:

Look, Mom, We're Camping!

The second is about the trailers themselves -- the older entries (from 2005 to 2011) are about the T-139 model:

The LMIC (Look Mom I'm Camping)

(After I post this message, I am going to test those links -- they don't look right to me -- and will try another method of posting them if necessary.)

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:14 PM   #3

The links did work. But I see that the trailer modification entries start in 2008. I am pretty sure we got the trailer in 2005, but I guess I did not start blogging for a couple more years -- too busy with the mods!
Old 02-28-2019, 05:45 AM   #4

Thanks Dan. I have already checked out your blogs and you have some great info and lots of fun adventures on there. My parents made the leap from tent camping to a (much larger than the T139) Coleman camper about a year ago so he's been a big help in the whole process and our first few outings will be with them. My dad is super handy so it will be great having him there to help us get setup the first couple times and to play Mr. FixIt when we need him.

The guy we bought her from did a lot of work to the interior that isn't quite to our taste so we will be doing quite a bit of work to the inside but he also replaced the roof because the AC caused the original roof to sag and start to leak. He cut a hole in the back and added a "window" unit AC to the back where the upper cabinets were. So now there's a counter top over the lower cabinets and shelf up above. It's nice that it's cheaper and easier to replace now should there be any issues with it!

I'll post some pictures of its current state and then some more once we get the reno underway.
2011 Ford Expedition XLT
Old 02-28-2019, 06:42 AM   #5
APD

Welcome! Another 139 on the forum!
Is your 139 a front kitchen model? The way you described the addition of that AC mentioned rear cabinets.
We love ours! As with any unit that has a few years on it, there will be some rework desired. I believe you have happened upon a first camper with the perfect mix of size, affordability and towing comfort.
If you have any questions at all please ask.

Alan
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:52 AM   #6

No, ours has a side kitchen. I just created an album of what it looks like now and actually, those were pulled from his sales add before he did a few more "updates" (added the AC to rear, and tried to recreate the drop down bunk system). I wouldn't trust that thing to support even a kid so we will be removing it and likely replacing with some small cabinets or storage shelf. It will only ever be 2 adults camping so we don't need the extra sleeping space.

We are still trying to figure out how we want to configure the dinette/sleeping area since we want something more comfortable than the seat cushions and something we don't have to setup and take down daily. For our maiden voyage in a few weeks we are going to make it into a bed and put a futon mattress on top to see how we like it and see how much we really need a table or if we can find a workaround for the table situation.
2011 Ford Expedition XLT
Old 02-28-2019, 07:02 AM   #7
APD

Sounds good. Our FK seems to be a rare bird. I've considered moving our AC off the roof. Our roof was replaced with heavier plywood and bracing but the AC unit still seems to "bounce" a lot on the road. I've been considering a built-in side wall unit much like the small Jayco's. They are much quieter also.
We've camped in VA a few times over in Lanexa at Rockahock CG. Beautiful country friendly people.

Alan
1994 GMC Camper Van,
Old 02-28-2019, 07:11 AM   #8
APD

Just saw the album. Looks like a clean rig for sure. Now the fun begins, we just need some warmer and drier weather!!

Alan
1994 GMC Camper Van,
Old 02-28-2019, 08:46 AM   #9

She's in great shape and everything looks to be cosmetic so far except for the jacks. We're going to put scissor stabilizers on it because I am not repeating the crawl under the camper to lower the stabilizers process every time we get to a campground like we had to do when we got home last night!

I don't mind the colder weather but we need drier for sure!
2011 Ford Expedition XLT
Old 02-28-2019, 09:36 AM   #10

Make sure that the rear AC unit is well supported -- the back wall was not designed for that kind of a load. Over time, the stress of the weight, bouncing down the road, could be more than the studs can withstand.

The solution is actually easier than it may seem. If you have a minute, check out my gas can project, where I reinforced the back wall:

The LMIC (Look Mom I'm Camping): Gas can mount on top of spare tire
Old 03-01-2019, 09:33 AM   #11
APD

We changed out the stabilizers on ours for the scissors type. We had upgraded the Dexter Torqflex axle to the 3500# model and added 1" blocks which also raised the trailer slightly. The new stabilizers extend further and work better. I moved the existing ones to the front as there were none there originally.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
20180304_164838.jpg  
1994 GMC Camper Van,
Old 03-11-2019, 07:21 AM   #12

The new stabilizers and steps were added this weekend. I got a 4 pack of stabilizers from Amazon for about $85 so we added them to the front as well. What a difference! It was a lot of cutting and drilling but well worth it. They look a lot like yours APD. The scissor type is definitely the way to go.Click image for larger version

Name:	stabilizers.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	1151

Click image for larger version

Name:	steps.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1152
2011 Ford Expedition XLT
Old 03-11-2019, 12:17 PM   #13
APD

I like the steps! How do y'all like 'em? Can you post a model number and a short review?

Alan
1994 GMC Camper Van,
Old 03-11-2019, 12:24 PM   #14

Sure, I'll start a new post with the steps and stabilizers. Both are amazing but neither were the easiest to install.

2011 Ford Expedition XLT

Tags
t139